Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coconut oil for dogs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

QueSera

QueSera

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No worries GrandCynth. His skin isn't like super flakey sort of dry. I told the vet he seemed itchy and that I wanted to make sure he hadn't picked up fleas (I hadn't seen any). She said there was no evidence of fleas, but that he had dry skin and that might be why. Then she got all soap boxy about Science Diet and how ridiculous grain free foods are so I guess the dryness wasn't bad enough to warrant a focused recommendation. I may try putting it on his food, but he seemed pretty put off by the smell. I was hoping to get some of the other benefits from the coconut, but I may need to try some other sort of oil. I haven't given up yet though!

fox_girl

fox_girl

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I hate vets that push Hills Science diet AKA roadkill in a bag for every digestion or skin issue going. Makes me ill. I was highly recommended a product you can buy in human health food/ organic stores called Bio-K. its expensive but I hear coupled with a clean diet can clear up a lot of dog skin problems. I just started using it a teaspoon with each meal. Its supposed to be a really super high quality pro biotic. like activia yogurt x's 10. I can keep you posted on how my guy does on it if you like. I feed RAWand the lady I buy it off of highly recommended Coconut oil to me as well. I havent gotten any yet Im going to see how the bio-k helps him first. I was just told not too much of the coconut oil though. I am also using in place of coconut oil Melissa's Aloe Pet, it is a good oil plus it can be used both in their food and directly on the skin. They say its the best product on the market for hot spots itching rashy dryness and yeast. I love it because I dont have to worry if he licks it because its totally ingestible.

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Please do keep us posted on how the Bio-K works out!

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
I have now been adding coconut oil to all 5 dogs food for two weeks. My dogs don't have skin issues but the collie cross has ALWAYS had a strong dog odour and this was my motivation for trying it. I had a border collie before and he always smelled of grass and fresh air, I would bury my face in his neck and inhale ! I think the strong smell is from the Australian cattle dog part. Anyway ..... It works!!!! I just asked my husband how Betty smelled and he said he couldn't smell anything! My question is, how much do you pay for it ? I got extra virgin cold pressed organic and fair trade from my local health food shop . £ 8.95( about 14 American dollars) for 250mls. That will last me 2 weeks. Does that sound a fair price?

morag

morag

The Welsh Wench

• Members
  • 17,217 posts
I pay £13.50 for a 500ml tub, I buy it online.

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
[quote name='morag;727490]I pay £13.50 for a 500ml tub' date=' I buy it online.[/QUOTE']That's a good saving Morag compared to what I paid . I really like to support local businesses as they are really struggling now but I must look online. Thanks!

morag

morag

The Welsh Wench

• Members
  • 17,217 posts

That's a good saving Morag compared to what I paid . I really like to support local businesses as they are really struggling now but I must look online. Thanks!

I used to get it from the local health food shop but they stopped stocking the unrefined as it was to expensive to sell!

Kimm

Kimm
Just bought some for Trixie as her coat is still dry despite cutting down on the bathing. Do you have to melt it? I scooped it out of the container and just plopped it in the bowl with her kibble and she gobbled it up! As a natter of fact she ate everything g in the bowl were normally she just nibbles here and there. I may cut down on the amount I leave in her bowl in the AM.

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Just bought some for Trixie as her coat is still dry despite cutting down on the bathing. Do you have to melt it? I scooped it out of the container and just plopped it in the bowl with her kibble and she gobbled it up! As a natter of fact she ate everything g in the bowl were normally she just nibbles here and there. I may cut down on the amount I leave in her bowl in the AM.

I melt it but only because it makes it easier for me to measure out different amounts for each dog. If she eats it out of the jar then that's great!

TanyaPS

TanyaPS

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone tried lavender oil?

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA
I guess I am very lucky, but I can buy virgin organic coconut oil at our local supermarket!

jbaxter

jbaxter

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
sorry if this has been answered already i havent read the full thing , i was wondering what is the difference between raw coconut oil , and unrefined . i have just phoned my health food store and he said it has the words raw on but it does not say unrefined, he didn,t seem to know if they were both the same , any help would be great thanks May

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
I really enjoy watching this vets videos :)Here is one on Coconut Oil

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thanks for posting this!! :++: I haven't fed it yet, only have used it topically, but would like to feed it. I didn't know what the dosage was, so thanks!! Also, great idea to hide meds in it, too.

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
GrandCynth, no prob! I just love this vet, she always has helpful tips even on subject I am knowledgeable about and since getting a CC and now Xolo (mix?) I've read and learned TONS about the benefits of coconut oil for people and pets. The one thing I wasn't clear on either was dosage. We use it topically like mad here :oDSomething else I was told by a friend who's holistic vet told her is that coconut oil can be helpful for Thyroid dogs. Not sure how, have yet to get a chance to research it or ask any experts. Anyone else hear this or know why?

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
[quote name='Horseplay;787936]Something else I was told by a friend who's holistic vet told her is that coconut oil can be helpful for Thyroid dogs. Not sure how' date=' have yet to get a chance to research it or ask any experts. Anyone else hear this or know why?[/QUOTE']Hyper or Hypo, Thyroid? I have one who is hypothyroid....would love to know the benefits!

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
Hers is HYPO as is mine so I really should took in to it. I called the Holistic vet Re. Reese recheck as his patchy skin isn't gone still :( not worse but not gone :o/ and I will ask her then and update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users