Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Summer Health Tips

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Indiana's mom

Indiana's mom

• Moderators
  • 12,508 posts
With the warmer months upon us I thought we should add a sticky about outdoor play. Whether a day in the backyard or a few hours by the beach these tips will help you keep your baby safe and healthy. 1. Remember to bring fresh drinking water and a bowl so that your dog can have something to drink. If you are thirsty your dog probably is too. 2. If it is really hot a spray bottle or hose or swimming area is important to keep your baby cool. 3. Make sure the pavement is not too hot for their little feet. On very hot days reach down and touch the ground to make sure your little one will not burn their paws. 4. Find some shade to rest under or bring a pop-up tent or umbrella so that there is some shade for your baby to relax and cool off under. 5. During the warmer months your baby will want to drink more water. Make sure you check their bowls more often to insure they have a ready supply. 6. Ice is a fun snack! Frozen fruit like bananas and melon or frozen pumpkin cubes all make yummy snacks to help cool your little one off. 7. After a day at the beach or a long walk make sure your little one is no longer panting heavily and gums are no longer bright red before feeding a meal or treat- icecube yes dinner no. 8. Make sure your little one is on heartworm as well as flea and tick preventative. If they have not been recieving either of these products through the winter make sure to contact your vet for an apointment for a heartworm test so that you can restart the preventative. 9. If you have a very light skinned Crested make sure to put sunscreen on them for exposure over 30 minutes. If you will be out at the beach or on the boat or at the lake for the entire day even your dark skin crested should have on protection from the sun. 10. Remember the hottest most direct sunlight occurs between 11am and 4pm if possible plan your outdoor adventures before or after these time slots. Never ever leave your dog in the car with the air off and the windows up for any amount of time. Enjoy the fresh air and the sun on your face!

LadyRebel

LadyRebel

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
Thank you for this wonderful reminder post! 'Never ever leave your dog in the car with the air off and the windows up for any amount of time.'This happened not too long ago and I yelled out loud at the people" Poeple who do that to their animals should ahev pets!" I don't know if they heard me or not bet everyone else sure did. Well, when we came back out of the store, the windows were about halfway down. So, maybe they thought about it a little anyways. it stops my mad strings when people do that stuff!! :x

Epic Blue

Epic Blue

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks for the reminders.For anyone that must leave their baby in the car (ie:going in the grocery store) I got a few great gadgits:From AC Moore - it is a solar powered fan you attach over a car door window that as soon as any sun hits it the fan turns on an sucks the hot air out of the carFrom Pet Edge - i got a small fan (you can set the temp you want it to keep your car at) that plugs into the AC outlet and also comes with add on cartridges that you freeze and it gives AC for 2 hours (I keep spares in a cooler in the car.)But even with these I keep the windows cracked, park in shaded areas and don't be gone to long.

JasmynJade

JasmynJade

JasmynJade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I thought I read someplace where they were not supposed to have"Citrus".....am I confused????Actually I am rescuing a 6 month old Hairless Crested tomorrow.My husband & I went to this womans house to look at some windows shehad in an ad. She had 3 crates of dogs...it was 95 degrees, no A/C, they had no water, no food. She said this one was for sale, I was NOT looking for another dog, especially one of these dogs. Before you get all bent out of shape...LOL...listen...I knew NOTHING about these dogs...ONLY what I saw on TV. I thought they were SO ugly. When this woman walked near that crate, that little dog went to the back cornor and shook like you would not believe, I asked to hold her, she got her out and practially threw her at me. I held her, after about 30 seconds she quit shaking....it was SO strange...she backed her head up...looked at me....and kissed me right on the cheek and then put her head against my neck and hugged me!!!I WAS HOOKED! I had to leave her that day.....I did not have any extra money with me. This woman was lying to me right & left about teh dog, about teh windows. Anyway....turns out I talked her into trading me the dog for my laptop. SO, I'm driving 109 miles one way in the morning to pick her up. She is 6 months old...and now the woman tells me she has not had ANY shots....something is wrong....but I will take her to the vet as soon as I get home....NO stops along the way. I have wee-wee pads on the back floor board of the truck....Sorry to be so long...I'm So excited.AND I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS....I hope someone will help me out. I will be back......And I really do need help!I have 2 other dogs...but it seems these are VERY special dogs!!

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
What is the best flea preventative? I use k-9 advantix on my other 2 dogs and it works better than the frontline used to. I just got 2 hairy hairless cresteds (brother and sister) and I need to know if the k-9 advantix is ok or if I should switch to something else.

BaliSong

BaliSong

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationALASKA KENAI PENINSULA
They are special dogs. Absorb all you can from this website and you'll be in good shape. That's what I did when I got Balisong. I too thought they were so ugly, but they really aren't once you get used to them. LOL!! And they are so sweet and smart and cuddly. I look forward to hearing more. And GOD BLESS YOU for the lengths you went to rescue this little dog. I doubt you will regret it.

Miss D.

Miss D.

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Oooh, I want to know more about the k9 advantix! Frontline didn't seem to do anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users