Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Renal Disease

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Rach

Rach
  • LocationKansas
Hey guys! It has been a long time since I have been on here... Tulip, now 8 went to the vets mid August as I noticed she had pretty much stopped eating and was vomiting... turns out she was in Acute Renal Failure... after a week at the vets getting fluids we got her turned back around. This past Friday I felt something was off and wanted my hopeful paranoia eased... Took her back in and her levels were elevated again... they were just over the normal mark so they sent me home with appetite stimulant. She did really well eating and drinking yesterday, however today is another story.. I got her to eat about a third of her k/d canned food this morning but that was it... as the day progressed she acted interested in other foods but I couldn't get her to eat her k/d food... so I boiled hamburger and she gobbled that up... if anyone has had experience in kidney issues what were your tricks to get yours to eat...
forum

Graceful Senses

Graceful Senses

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRedwood Coast, CA

Hiya!  I went through this 10 years ago with Teddy and there was a Yahoo group called K9Kidneys that was helpful:

https://groups.yahoo.../K9KIDNEYS/info

As for tactics to get him to eat, I would put tiny amounts of assorted foods on a plate (yogurt, cottage cheese, liverwurst, baby food from a jar, rice, fruit, boiled egg) and put some on my finger and touch it to his lips.  If he took to any of them I'd quickly spoon feed him more.  I also tried adding broth to rice.  Anything you can think of that's got a strong smell.  There's a refrigerated food in a casing called Pet Fresh that he liked.  The thing that worked the BEST though, was having our other dog sit next to him and lick stuff off the spoon.  If he saw Stewie eating it, he wanted it too.

I'm sorry you and Tulip are going through this, best wishes and please keep us updated!

1766401eee88bbbm3.jpg

Ashima's Nautical Blush 10/6/08 CCPP

Stewart Gilligan 1/22/04 Beagle

Missing my heart, my joy, my sweet angel boy~Teddy 5/15/96 - 9/19/08~

Rach

Rach
  • LocationKansas
Thank You! We have a appointment at KState this Wednesday... I believe it was the medication she was placed on that caused this... hoping they can get it completely reversed... I will look for that group!
forum

Rach

Rach
  • LocationKansas
Update*** I took Tulip to KState on October 3rd... they did a full blood work up, urinalysis, abdominal ultrasound and due to her hear murmur a echocardiogram.... Her acute Kidney failure was caused by a NSAID that our local vet put her on... ultrasound showed no permanent kidney damage and her BUB and creatinine levels were back in normal range!!! Her heart murmur was a grade 4/6 but she is not in heart failure and does not have any fluid around her heart or lungs... they switched her heat med to help her heart contract better... all in all it was a long stressful day but ended with great news!!
forum

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

that's great  !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users