Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cresteds Eating Pomegranates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

West Van

West Van

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Question please: Does anyone in the Crested Community have experience with feeding pomegranates to their Crested? Our little girl, Coco, has energy energy and super alert/ playful (ballie, of course) but just SCREAMS when she has a bowel movement. Stool is consistent, soft and 'appears' fine, but every day, every bowel movement. . . . .scream. 

My wife is the one feeding pomegranates to her. And 'yes' our little boy also eats them, but not quite so much, and BM's "fine".

Is one above action related to the other or does she perhaps have something else going on? 'Yes' we've tried stool softener 'drops' in her food and Polysporin on her little rear.

Thank you

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

Oh my, that is rather concerning isn't it... Have you had the little one to the vet to make sure there isn't a blockage or something constricting the bowel?

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

West Van

West Van

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Oh my, that is rather concerning isn't it... Have you had the little one to the vet to make sure there isn't a blockage or something constricting the bowel?

Yes, she has been into the vet and he drained (squeezed) her scent glands, but other than irritating her (dragging her bum), that provided no improvement.

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

Was she adopted from a rescue or from a breeder? I ask because maybe either source might have some history on her that could help... 

Was there a diet change, other then the pomegranate seeds, ( I would try pumpkin personally, because that could help give her some bulk as well) ?

Is it still literally every time she has a bowel movement?

Did the vet do an Xray just in case she has eaten something foreign?

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

Chyna

Chyna

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State
Wouldn't there be seeds in the pom, that is the first thing I thought of. The seeds are scraping her anus or intestines. I would switch to pumpkin or sweet potato.
tanya :p

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I echo what the others have mentioned about feeding a bit of canned pumpkin each day. I have no experience with feeding pomegranate.

Is that the only time your Crested screams....while having a bowel movement?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

West Van

West Van

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, thank you to all for the positive feedback. Is much appreciated.

Our little girl is not a rescue and we have had her since a young pup. 'Yes', agreed, the pom seeds would cause irritation (even for humans !?) for her little anus/ rectum/ bum area. Interestingly, examination of her stools, the poms are 'whole', not broken exposing rough seed husk/ bits.

Either way, you are all wise to recommend some pumpkin. She is a diva so will receive canned 'organic, seed free'. We will try such ASAP (tomorrow...market day).

Both our little girl and male 'love' occasional fruit and veggies and both eat vet prescribed dry food, always their bowls to empty, thru-out the day.

Otherwise, she is a "hand-full", ie ballie-maniac, alert, active (all 8-#'s of her), etc. We will continue to monitor her behaviour/ routines.

Thank you to all for your concern.

Rgds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users