Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Crate Training Adult Dog

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Zoesmom

Zoesmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I need some help! I have a female whom I rescued 3 years ago. She is 4. She will go potty outside, but prefers to go in the house on piddle pads. She has gotten to where she will sneak off and go on the bedroom carpet. My husband is at his wits end and making me crate train her so she will be completely house broken. Is this even possible since she is an adult, and how do I go about the crate training. I am against this because I don’t want to upset her, but I am sick of cleaning up the messes. Any help would be appreciated..

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

"softly softly catchee monkey" lol. Chinese cresteds are very smart, and very crafty... I do think older dogs can be trained, but keep in mind cresteds seem to be notorious for their delicate dispositions and often enjoy weeing in the house instead of outside in the cold... we live in Canada, so if you ask mine, its always too cold ;) lol

We brought a few retired show cresteds into our home and they were terrible at going in the house, it just takes consistency... every time you think about it take the pupper outside and make it a great place to be, if she goes give her a treat and big celebration... that would be my suggestion for a start... 

As for crate training, I guess my question would be at what times are you planning on crating her? through the day when you are at work, or through the night, or... what is the plan there? 

My Xolos were crate trained because if we didn't Errol would have eaten all the dry wall and probably burned down half the house... He loves his crate and all we have to say is "go in your spaceship" Or Errol boxes!!! in a happy high voice and he runs and puts himself in his crate. It was super important to make the crate about being a positive happy safe place for him and his brother, and not a punishment. :) 

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,224 posts

I crate Jakks at night and he loves his crate.....he feels safe in it.  He was 10 years old when I started this, as I am alone now and wanted to be sure he would be safe if I ever need an ambulance during the night. He never had a problem with it, even though he was used to sleeping in the bed with us.

As to peeing in the house.....I tried everything......nothing worked. Now he wears a belly band during the day when I go out. This works well for us. He even gets up on a chair to get his ''pants'' on when he comes in from ''potty time''.

I think CC's tend to ''revenge pee'' in the house when they are alone....any day that I am home all day , Jakks barks when he needs out......and can go quite a few hours in between . He seems to think that my only purpose in life is to feed him and provide a lap to sit on for as many hours a day as possible ! lol

Perhaps ''frilly panties'' could help.

Zoesmom

Zoesmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I’ve been working with her, and we’ve made some real progress. She still won’t go in it on her own unless there is a cookie inside, but once she is in she does really well. Thank you both for your insight.
  • Esylum likes this

Esylum

Esylum

Glad to hear that you are seeing some positives! 

• Zoesmom likes this

Zoesmom

Zoesmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Guess who goes in her crate when I tell her to!!!! woo hoo!!
  • Esylum likes this

Esylum

Esylum

YAY! That is fantastic news!

Did you find a certain technique that worked best for you guys?

Zoesmom

Zoesmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I put pieces of cookie in the back of the crate and say get in your bed, she’s go in, then I’d do the same and close the door briefly. Each time she would come out she’d get a cookie and lots of praise. Now she goes in when I say get in your bed, and gets a cookie and praise after the door is closed.
  • Esylum likes this

Esylum

Esylum

That sounds like a fantastic result and so quick too!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users