Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

nicscresteds

nicscresteds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Hello, I am new to this forum and I currently have 11 cresteds. I've been involved with rescue most of my life and have always had a lot of dogs and I foster as well.  We fell in love with the hairless cresteds several years ago and I recently rescued a powder puff. My main reason for joining at this time is because of a serious skin issue with my 3 year old Eddie.

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Welcome to the forum!  As you may have noticed, it has become rather quiet lately.  That being said, it is still my first go-to for questions.  I'm guessing with 11 Cresteds, you have far more experience than me and there are members in the forum with far more experience than me.

I got my first hairless Crested 9 years ago and fell in love with the breed.  They are like Lays potato chips -- you can't have just one!  I currently have 2 hairless and a puff -- all adopted from rescues.  Not knowing exactly what the problem is, all I can say is I feed my gang a limited ingredient diet of venison and homemade dehydrated snacks.  My hairless get brown sugar scrubs during baths.  This can be a mistake when tossing more than one in the tub at once, as they frantically lick the scrub off each other.  LOL!  I'm not sure how you handle 11 at once?  God bless you.  I can't even begin to imagine the hyperness going on in your house?!

I will say, my newest addition had a horrible staph infection when I adopted him.  It took about 6 months to get it under control.  Then he had a much needed dental and had 11 teeth removed.  Bailey is my work in progress.

Please do expand on your problem with Eddie and we would love to see pictures.

• nicscresteds likes this
Posted Image

nicscresteds

nicscresteds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
Pics

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

Hello and Welcome here, 11 is a lot of kids! I hope you have some extra hands to help take care of all of them!

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,217 posts

welcome to you all  !!

nicscresteds

nicscresteds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
Thank you for the welcome! Yes 11 is a lot. Being an animal lover my whole life, I have a lot going on!
Most of my cresteds are rescues and range from 3 to 16 years old. Some have really sad stories...
Anyway, Eddie is my main concern with this skin issue at the moment. He is 3 and had perfect skin until last January. It's now a full year dealing with it. It started at his neck. He began to scratch and it looked like welts and he would scratch it raw. It progressed to his haunches and eventually when I took his shirt off, I could see a tiny red rash all up his back. Almost looked like poison ivy. Took him to the vet. She did a scraping and we looked at his skin with a black light. Did not look fungal at all. She gave him an antibiotic and prednisone, figuring bacterial. Cleared right up but soon after finishing meds it came right back. He has had it this whole time since. The only thing that keeps it at bay is prednisone and we all know that is NOT good. I have to keep putting him on it to keep him from ripping himself to bleeding. We live in PA, so he's gone through all 4 seasons with it. I tried fragrance free detergent, no fabric softener. They have alway been on grain free food, mainly and now for at least a year salmon based. Recently they've been on Zignature limited ingredient. About a month ago, my pet supply started to carry Legend, which is anchovy based food and I have them on the skin formula. Ive been trying a 5 mg every other day dose of prednisone for about 2 months now and it barely keeps it at bay. He had a big flare up again this morning. Here is a pictureAttached File  20180204_084423.jpg   80.9KB   2 downloadsAttached File  20180204_084419.jpg   95.82KB   2 downloadsAttached File  20180204_084423.jpg   80.9KB   2 downloadsAttached File  20180204_084419.jpg   95.82KB   2 downloads

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I am assuming you have tried a venison diet?  My gang is not fond of fish (that being said, they are Cresteds and will eat virtually anything).  Fish based food seems more allergic to me than chicken, which DD's Maltese is allergic to.  A venison, limited ingredient diet, has worked best for me for the past couple years.

Posted Image

nicscresteds

nicscresteds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

I have not tried the venison yet.  The vet kept saying fish, and my dog food suppliers (who are extremely food knowledgeable), always said to stay away from anything with feathers and beef. I also heard a long time ago, and I'm not sure where, that lamb is not good for crested, so I've never used that.  I think you may be right though.  I've been thinking the same thing about the fish lately. 

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I tried a lamb version of their limited ingredient kibble with sweet potato and I don't think it agreed with my gang.  I am thinking it didn't have enough protein in it?  I found that in the morning, before breakfast, they were scarfing down weeds and herbs on my patio and then throwing up bile.  Once I switched back to the venison version, that issue stopped. 

Posted Image

nicscresteds

nicscresteds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

That's interesting.  I noticed when I started to feed grain free, some of my dogs started eating poop.  They also go through periods where they want to eat dirt, both of which drives me insane!  Makes me feel like they're not getting enough from the food.

I've switched Eddie to venison, so keeping my fingers crossed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users