Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Owner And New To Ccc

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Frankie 123

Frankie 123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello everyone!
I am a new mom to a fantastic little hairless. He is 7 months old and is such a treat to have in our home. I would like to know some basics. I have read so many things and every site has a different answer it seems.
What does everyone feed their hairless? How often do you bathe your pups?
Any specific shampoo brands you recommend?
I do have more questions but will start there 😊
Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

Welcome here to you and your little boy!

There is no real right answer to your questions, so that might be why you find so many different answers, lol.

Each one of our babies is so different it is hard to say one way or the other what is best for them.

But speaking in general terms, a grain free, limited ingredient diet is probably where you want to start for your little one. There are so many reasons why grocery store foods are bad, including poisonous recalls and poor quality, but also hairless cresteds can be prone to bad skin, with pimples and blackheads. For the most part we have all seemed to find that our little ones do better on a grain free limited ingredient (for allergy reasons as well as quality). 

For example my boys have health issues, one has dry eye and the other has heart problems and terrible food allergies. Both my Boys eat Ziwipeak, which is a raw dehydrated diet. It costs a small fortune per bag, but do to the fact that Biko is so allergic to the world it is the only good quality food that he can eat that I am comfortable feeding him. I know there are others on here that feed kibbles... they are all good options, but would not work for mine due to their specific issues :)

It's a trial by error kind of deal lol.

As far as shampoos... same kind of thing, I dont ever usually bath my kids unless they have rolled in something stinky or peed on themselves... we live in Canada, and have all seasons here, but both my boys have such great skin that they do not need baths on a regular basis, and when they have had baths on a schedule actually ended up with bad skin. 

When I do bath them I use a green tea shampoo and conditioner.

You will find that some people have to bathe their kids multiple times a week when they are using medicated shampoos for skin health, but others dont need something that strict. 

Its all about less is best! You will find some places will recommend putting your kidlet through some rather strict guidelines to keep them well and healthy, but like any parent knows, there is no real hard and fast rules that will work for everybody!

It might help if you had some ideas of things you wanted to try and then fielding questions to the forum on if anyone has any experience with those things, but hopefully there will be a few more members through here that could suggest what is working for them :) Little ones are hard to predict as well, they will go through an awkward "teenage" phase where they will be more prone to breakouts and black heads... don't panic, and as long as you have a good  relationship with your vet you should be able to make some good informed decisions on what needs to be done and when :)

• GrandCynth and jakksmum like this

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

Frankie 123

Frankie 123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you so very much! All that info is fantastic!! Where in Canada are you? We are in central Alberta.
  • Esylum likes this

Harriet

Harriet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Hello and welcome to the word of NEKED Babies! All of these babies have different needs so I would concentrate on what your boy needs. And then,...just when you think you have a routine down pat, their needs will change and life goes on!
Your boy will need clothes, unless he will be using potty pads. My girl wears clothes in the house and extra warmies when going outside in winter! as no dogs in my house use pads. In the summer, I try to keep the sun off of her back by buying tank tops for babies at Walmart. There are two wonderful dog clothing companies that I really like! One is FITWARM.available thru Amazon, but their website is better as they have more stuff available.They have girl or boy clothes, daily wear and fancy stuff. Their price is really good and the quality is excellent, the other company that I use is located in The UK. They are ZIGGYS Doggy Fashion Boutique, they are more pricey, but again the quality is excellent, and they do have some things especially for the hairless Chinese Crested, for both genders, not just in design but anatomicaly correct for boys or girls!

Attached Files

Frankie 123

Frankie 123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the advice! I have purchaced him a winter jacket and boots for outside. I have been looking for places to order some unique stuff for him. Thanks for sharing!

Esylum

Esylum

Thank you so very much! All that info is fantastic!! Where in Canada are you? We are in central Alberta.

We are on the far east coast now but are originally from Ontario :)

Esylum

Esylum

Where we are we need lots of warm clothes for our kids, especially with this winter that we are having right now (Although you are probably worse off then we are...eek!)

My boy has a bad habit of peeing on his sleeves when he goes outside, so we make our own custom jammies here thankfully! There are also a few rescue members on here that have jammies for sale.

Chyna

Chyna

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State
I've been thru several brands. Currently we're feeding Blue Buffalo Limited Ingredient mainly because we are watching protein content and a couple of them have food allergies. Like rice and wheat. ;( Before that it was Taste of the Wild- the duck version. We liked to joke that they eat dog food with wolves on the package.

I too don't wash my dogs regularly. It is too cold here and the house is too drafty. Kind of depends on the dog on what I use. The Littles use Johnson's Baby shampoo so they smell like a newborn ooman. They other ones are just whatever I pick up. I try to purchase higher end stuff if possible.

As for clothing, I found that newborn onesies work pretty well, if you put the snaps at the top their tail fits thru the gap. Otherwise I load up at Petsmart when on clearance ( I have 5 dogs, saving where I can) or Target. Jezzie came with a beautiful wardrobe and she is one of those flashy cresteds so she gets pretty stuff quite often. I'm working on the Littles, can't figure out what size they are. My friend Shell has made clothes for her pups out of old sweaters. Pretty easy really. For puppies you can use old socks. Not flashy by any means but terry cloth seems to be pretty warm.

I think that if you look at old posts you may get some good ideas.

Edited by Chyna, 31 December 2017 - 08:24 PM.

tanya :p

Frankie 123

Frankie 123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you! Our little boy is waaaay too spoiled already and we have only had him for two weeks lol. He is such an incredible ltitle guy ❤❤❤❤

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I agree with all the above posts.  My gang consists of 2 hairless (one with great skin and the other not so great) and a puff.  My gang is on a limited ingredient diet, no grains and no chicken (DD's Maltese is allergic to chicken).  I also dehydrate all their snacks for them.  The hairless typically have some type of clothing on 365 days a year, despite living in S. FL.,  It gets chilly with the AC & ceiling fans running.  I try to bathe my gang every other week, which doesn't always happen.  When they do get baths, I give the hairless a brown sugar scrub which helps with the black heads.  Honestly, it is trial and error as every dog is different.

Good luck to you and your new pup.  We would love to see pictures!

Posted Image

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,081 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hello, and welcome to the forum! Would love to see pics of your new little one!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users