Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Yeast Infection

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Taylorhall15

Taylorhall15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
We have two Powderpuffs both from the same litter (brothers) and they both have the same skin condition of itchiness therefore biting and constantly scratching- their skins flakes everywhere. We have been to the vets multiple times and they just get us to pay a lot of money for things that don't work. We try bath them 2-3 times a week as the smell is disgusting. We believe it is a yeast infection I don't know where any of you have had an issue like this before with your dog? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as it's horrible to see them in such agony with keep itching.
  • Taylorhall15 likes this

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

My little boy is a true hairless and when he was little his skin would blister and peel like a boiled lobster, I couldn't even touch him because the sweat on my hands would burn him, it was terrible... I know how stressful it can be to see them so itchy.

There are lots of things you can try, but I would recommend maybe focusing on one or two things at a time to help you rule out what is working and what isn't.

Its hard to say, just from the description alone, but your vet is probably the best place to start, because like with people, if it is a yeast infection you might need Antibiotics to help knock it back before other remedies can start to help.

There are a lot of different things that can help with yeast, sometimes as simple as pure greek yogurt and local honey added to the diet. Or bathing with a medicated shampoo... or a complete diet change... 

I would guess though if they are starting to smell they should probably see a vet, because it can lead to a staph infection or something possibly worse...

There might be some old threads with pictures of skin issues you might be able to compare to, or you are always welcome to post pictures for us to take a look at, but I don't think any of us are Vets in the real world so you are just going to get our opinions based on past experiences...

Every Crested is different, but it sounds like your boys might have a genetic condition/allergy that is in their blood line... Or... it can even be that they are allergic to a wool rug, or your fabric softener, LOL... this isn't very much help at all is it...

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

I am sorry to say that I don't have a definitive answer either.  I will say though, 2-3 baths a week sounds like too much and will dry out their skin and cause them to be itchy.

I agree with Esylum to make changes in small steps to try and rule things out in case the problem is allergy related.  You didn't mention what you are feeding your gang, but I would start with a good, grain free, limited ingredient diet.  With all the baths you are giving them, maybe add a little salmon oil or coconut oil to their food.

There are also doggie dermatologists around these days, which may be worth a visit if you have one in your area.  My latest adoptee had a staph infection which affected his skin.  It took about 6 months to get it under control.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Posted Image

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,057 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
And to make things even more confusing, they could have a sensitivity (think allergy) to something they are being fed. Lots of cresteds do better on a grain free diet. Many are sensitive to the protein source they are being fed. Chicken in particular for some reason.

They could have allergies to dust mites, mold, wool blankets.
It's frustrating, I've been there! I've had this breed for 20 years, and all of mine have had skin issues! I start by working with the vet to cure the current infection, while systematically changing the things I know from experience can cause problems. First off for me has always been diet, and keeping things as dust free as humanly possible. The only positive thing I can say, is that as each of mine has gotten older, the skin issues have always stopped.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

Hairy Junebugs

Hairy Junebugs

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 5,334 posts

I don't have powderpuffs but for my hairless with skin and yeast problems I highly recommend Famous products. It has been the only thing that has helped. You can message her through her website and she will help you find the right products for your guys. 

https://famousskincarefordogs.com/

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image* Posted Image *

spelolle

spelolle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

We have two Powderpuffs both from the same litter (brothers) and they both have the same skin condition of itchiness therefore biting and constantly scratching- their skins flakes everywhere. We have been to the vets multiple times and they just get us to pay a lot of money for things that don't work. We try bath them 2-3 times a week as the smell is disgusting. We believe it is a yeast infection I don't know where any of you have had an issue like this before with your dog? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as it's horrible to see them in such agony with keep itching.

I have been using same thing as they use to horses, an oil or shampoo with tar. Not every day, but the skin will become good. No clothes with wool. See link https://www.bequine....probe-olja.html
Try to find some sort in your country. Good luck.

Skickat från min Moto G (5) via Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users