Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vetmedin (Pimobendan) For Cardiac Conditions In Dogs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thrilled to hear how well Biko is doing! My little Bebe is now on this drug as well. I swear it's a miracle drug! How much does Biko weigh? Bebe is too small for the smallest dose of Vetmedin, so the active ingredient "pimobenden" is being compounded into a liquid for her, and it's less expensive than the brand name Vetmedin that Harley is getting. The girls cardiologist also mentioned he has noticed less side effects with the compounded version vs the name brand. Just a thought?

Harley just reached her two year anniversary on Vetmedin, and is due for her next echocardiogram. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her disease hasn't progressed too much in the past 9 months since her last echo.
  • Esylum likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

Sending Harley tuns of positive good check up vibes!!! I am still nervous for Bikos check up, where we didn't get to talk to his vet before starting him on the meds, I still having that nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me that maybe we started him too early... but... from what Im hearing... is there ever a too early phase? 

• GrandCynth likes this

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
When an echocardiogram is done, and an enlargement is identified, even if the dog has no symptoms, apparently that's the ideal time to start them on Vetmedin. That is what was learned from the Epic Trial, mentioned earlier in this thread.

When my little Bebe went through her crisis this past fall, and was hospitalized in the ER, a murmur was picked up by one of the ER vets on day 3. She had been treated by 4 different vets during her stay, and it was the very last vet who heard it. None of the other three had! She called it a Focal Murmur, and I thought she was crazy! Bebe had never had a murmur before.

When Bebe was released, I took her back to my own vet for a listen. She could faintly hear it as well. Bebe was immediately scheduled for an echocardiogram with Harley's cardiologist. I was present while he was scanning her heart. He was describing what he was seeing, and when he got to the area that was mildly enlarged, my vet said, "time for Vetmedin" and the cardiologist said, "yep!"

You and I are lucky that our veterinarians and cardiologists got us started early on the Vetmedin, and not further down the line when our dogs are already showing symptoms of CHF. We will have bought extra time with our kiddos feeling good and being symptom free before the disease can progress. Again, it's not a cure, as a cure doesn't exist.....but I'll happily take any extra time it gives me with my girls. Especially symptom free time! ❤️❤️
  • Esylum likes this

Posted ImagePosted Image

Esylum

Esylum

You are so very right! I need to remember that trial, and the overall positive reviews! I cannot agree more about extra time... I cannot think about the alternative, so I wont! I have really noticed a difference in his overall mood, he just seems "perkier" to me!

• GrandCynth likes this

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Our dog was diagnosed with a heart condition when she was 5 & was on vetmedin & she lived to be 17! She didn’t die from heart either. Miss her
  • GrandCynth and Esylum like this

Esylum

Esylum

That is amazing Bailey, thank you for sharing!!!

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Our dog was diagnosed with a heart condition when she was 5 & was on vetmedin & she lived to be 17! She didn’t die from heart either. Miss her

I'm so hoping I get that result for my Harley, too. Her next echocardiogram is next week. Fingers crossed her disease has slowed it's progression!
  • Esylum likes this

Posted ImagePosted Image

Esylum

Esylum

I'll be keeping you and Harley in my thoughts and sending you loads of Positive Vibes!!!

• GrandCynth likes this

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'll be keeping you and Harley in my thoughts and sending you loads of Positive Vibes!!!

Thank you!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Harley just had her 9 month echocardiogram, and the results were fantastic! Her heart was smaller, her mitral and tricuspid valves were smaller. In fact, all her measurements were smaller, and the mild pulmonary hypertension she had is now gone! Her cardiologist said that the Vetmedin causes the heart muscle to contract harder, which in turn causes the valves to work less hard, thus they get smaller. She's been on it for 25 months now. (No other heart meds) She was first diagnosed 4 years ago..... I am over the moon with these awesome results today! Her cardiologist was, too!
  • Esylum likes this

Posted ImagePosted Image

Esylum

Esylum

Harley just had her 9 month echocardiogram, and the results were fantastic! Her heart was smaller, her mitral and tricuspid valves were smaller. In fact, all her measurements were smaller, and the mild pulmonary hypertension she had is now gone! Her cardiologist said that the Vetmedin causes the heart muscle to contract harder, which in turn causes the valves to work less hard, thus they get smaller. She's been on it for 25 months now. (No other heart meds) She was first diagnosed 4 years ago..... I am over the moon with these awesome results today! Her cardiologist was, too!

Oh my goodness Cynth, that is AMAZING news!!! I am so happy for you and Harley!!! I'm doing a little happy dance for you guys right now!!!

• GrandCynth likes this

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Thank you!! I'm sending lots of positive Crush vibes that it will work this well for Biko, too! ❤️

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users