Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Member, Own Two Rescues, In Alaska

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Arcticpalm

Arcticpalm
Just rescued another little guy from animal control. About eight months old. Horribly malnourished. Someone dropped him in the night drop box at our animal control. Super hyper, scared, skittish, hungry even after eating, not housebroken, was not neutered but is now. These are not great dogs for Alaska's long winters but they do okay with a wardrobe and booties. My first rescue came to me six years ago as a young, three month old, and was alone in the cold May weather. He was extremely ill. Ran into a warehouse and was mistaken for a rat at first.
He is a coby build, possibly a mix, and very happy and healthy.
The new one presents more of a challenge. I need to give him some time before I am able to see who he really is. Any advice is appreciated. He has been wormed. Will get him checked again next week.
So glad to be a part of this group.
  • Esylum likes this

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

welcome to the forum

how can people treat little dogs like this ? great that you took them in . I don't have any advice  ....anyone else ?

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug
Crush has/had a few Canadian members who may be able to offer advice on keeping Cresties in northerly climes.
I'm afraid I haven't got any advice on dealing with his skittishness, beyond trying to be a calm presence yourself.

Welcome to Crush, by the way.
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug
Sorry. I posted that twice.
My phone gets skittish on Crush!

:-)

Edited by Davyde, 17 September 2017 - 02:54 PM.

Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

crestedcrazy

crestedcrazy

Noidinator Moderator

• Moderators
  • 28,072 posts
  • LocationHere there everywhere

Welcome, I live in Alberta Canada and we get pretty cold here, as long as they are dressed and feet covered they seem to handle the cold fairly well for short periods of time. 

Posted Image

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

East Coast Canada can also be cold, but thankfully not for as long as you must have to deal with!!! Welcome here, and So glad these little ones have someone looking out for them now! They really are sensitive creatures, both physically and emotionally, I cannot imagine what some of these little troopers have gone through in their lives! 

***just a small kindness can turn a day around***

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Sorry, I am in S FL and my hairless get cold in the mid of summer (96 degrees during the day and 80+ at 5:00 am) with the AC and ceiling fans goings.  I've always wondered how northern Cresteds manage?!

Thanks for rescuing.  Maybe you could post a pic?

Posted Image

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

well...I don't know about anyone else's crested...but mine is kinda weird in cold weather......he won't wear clothes-and believe me , I've tried! He goes outside in the cold and doesn't even shiver.....BUT....he hates snow on his feet . So ...as long as I have a place cleared, he goes out with no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users