Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Teeth - Lack Of

- - - - - falling out fangs toothless summer teeth prehistoric dentition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

So I know they aren't cresteds, but they are still my kidlets... Errol is a Xolo, he is pretty healthy and loves to chew on bones and toys. He has Eye problems, but has since he was wee. We have both Errol and his Brother Chewie, from the same litter, they just turned 7 on the 18th of July. Chewie lost one of his upper fangs when they were just little when he bit on the crate bars, he has never done anything since and still has his remaining fangs. Errol has had terrible luck ... he broke his first bottom tusk and the vet had to pull the root, and the other three have just fallen out over the years, both his top ones in the last 2 months though. He grabbed a stick while swimming and tore the first top fang out, the second one, he dove into his kiddie pool on his Birthday and broke the last remaining tooth. 

He eats good food, like I said, he likes to chew antlers and toys... but now he has no teeth... Has anyone else had bad luck with teeth? They were all in good shape when they came out, he doesn't suffer from plaque or bad breath... I just feel bad for my little vampire baby because now he has no more teeth! I've noticed that he has a silly tongue now, so I wonder, is he going to be prone to having crazy tongue stuck to random things, or hanging out the side of his mouth, or do not all dogs who lose there teeth end up with floppy tongues?

Attached Files

Esylum

Esylum

That is his Raspberry in his mouth in the picture, and not his tongue! lol!

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
Hairless dogs are known to have bad teeth due to shallow roots. It has to do with their DNA, the same gene that makes them hairless affects their teeth too. My hairless female never even got half of her adult teeth. My vet even did an x ray while she was being spayed to make sure they weren't having trouble coming up but they just don't exist. Her brother had more teeth but over time, he's lost more too and as of now just has 1 canine left. So yea, it's just the norm for hairless dogs to have bad teeth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,205 posts

my Jakks looks at me sometimes , and you can just see the tip of his tongue out the side of his mouth....he never got his second teeth , both upper and lower , on both sides of his mouth. When he sees me looking at his tongue...he pulls it back in  !!!    it is so funny    It doesn't stop him from chewing on raw bones , though

• Esylum likes this

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

Our Billy is a bit of a gummy old man, but he is 12 so I suppose that is to be expected. It doesn't detract from his enjoyment of nylabones, although he does find it more difficult to pick them up off the floor now; with his missing front teeth he struggles to get a grip on them.

Dizzy has lost a couple of teeth over his ten years, but our little rat-faced boy still has a fairly complete - and sharp - set of gnashers.

The one who really has fewer teeth than expected is our Affenpinscher, Lily. As well as leaving her with a sparse coat, the early years of neglect also left her with a lot of rotten teeth that had to be removed when she came to us. Fortunately the ones she has left do seem to be pretty sound.

While we are talking teeth: Our old Crestie, Topaz, used to have one tooth: right at the front on her bottom jaw. Despite that, when a neighbours son put his arm through the cat-flap to unlock the door (with  our permission: Rie had locked herself out) Topaz managed to bite him through his leather jacket and draw blood (albeit a tiny drop). 

She actually went way up in his estimation after that!

• Addy's Mom and Esylum like this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

Esylum

Esylum

This is all good to hear! 

I was pretty worried that his tongue was destined to be floppy out of his face automatically, So far he has had a few mornings when he wakes up and his tongue is stuck to the side of his face but he seems to have a fair amount of control for now!

I can just imagine how proud Topaz must have been keeping her domicile safe from the would be intruder! LOL That is pretty impressive!

Hairless dogs are known to have bad teeth due to shallow roots. It has to do with their DNA, the same gene that makes them hairless affects their teeth too. My hairless female never even got half of her adult teeth. My vet even did an x ray while she was being spayed to make sure they weren't having trouble coming up but they just don't exist. Her brother had more teeth but over time, he's lost more too and as of now just has 1 canine left. So yea, it's just the norm for hairless dogs to have bad teeth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thank you for adding this info for anyone who might be interested in the relation between DNA and teeth. Xolos being a primitive breed have even more unique dentition, on top of the average hairless shallow roots, they are so unique that one of the first vets that saw them declared they must have been older then they were supposed to be because their teeth looked so different from any other dogs teeth they were familiar with. Needless to say we did not use that vet again after... They really have neat looking teeth, (well... when they don't fall out) 

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

Hairless Cresties also have "primitive mouths". It is quite common for vets who are unfamiliar with the breed to overestimate their age.

• Esylum likes this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

Esylum

Esylum

I wasn't 100% sure on the crested having the primitive teeth Dayvde so that is good to know!... I just don't think it ever came up because they never started with full sets to compare with lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users