Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lameness, Weakness, Shaking

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Dawn&Ringo

Dawn&Ringo

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

We've been dealing with weakness & lameness with Ringo since around Christmas. He's had all kinds of blood work, multiple x-rays, from his head to his feet, nothing shows anything clinically significant. 

He's now on a small dose of prednisone daily and seeing the vet chiropractor every other week (sometimes weekly or twice a week if things are really bad) but he's just not doing any better.

They've ruled out orthopedic issues and now believe we're dealing with something neurological, possibly spinal or brain tumor, but the only way to know if that's what we're dealing with is an MRI (crazy expensive) and if it is a spinal or brain tumor, frankly, we're not going to try to treat as the treatment might help briefly but at what cost to his poor little body; all this to say, right now, our choice is to give him the best quality of life possible.

I'm posting here in case anyone has ever experienced anything similar, and if so, how did you approach it - what diagnostics did you do and do you believe any treatment was helpful?

I love this boy beyond words. My heart is breaking. He's only 8. I thought we'd have many, many more years together.

Dawn&Ringo

Imagine all the people sharing all the world...You, you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.I hope some day you'll join us and the world will live as one.

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

I am afraid I have no help I can give you, but I just want to say I agree with your decision not to go the route of spinal treatment.

Our Pug, Rosie, has a spinal problem that means she is losing the use of her back legs. Rie (my wife) and I have both agreed that the misery spinal surgery would inflict on Rosie far outweighs any possible benefit to her.

Rosie is a year younger than Ringo, so I understand how heartbreaking it is to be robbed of the years you expected to have together.

I am sorry I cannot offer any more help or comfort.

Davyde

Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

Graceful Senses

Graceful Senses

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationRedwood Coast, CA

Sorry for the late reply!  We went through this with our 13 year old beagle Stewie about a year and a half ago.  We opted to have the MRI to check for tumors, spinal stenosis, etc. but everything came back negative.  His neurologist put him on heavy doses of prednisone, gabapentin (for deep nerve pain), and tramadol along with a month of very strict activity restriction.  He is better than before now.  We think he had a pinched nerve in his neck, but it was horrible.  He would SCREAM, his head would get stuck turned to the side, he would stumble, and sometimes his bladder would leak.

I hope Ringo is getting some relief, sending Crush vibes from all of us to all of you.

1766401eee88bbbm3.jpg

Ashima's Nautical Blush 10/6/08 CCPP

Stewart Gilligan 1/22/04 Beagle

Missing my heart, my joy, my sweet angel boy~Teddy 5/15/96 - 9/19/08~

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

Sorry for the late reply!  We went through this with our 13 year old beagle Stewie about a year and a half ago.  We opted to have the MRI to check for tumors, spinal stenosis, etc. but everything came back negative.  His neurologist put him on heavy doses of prednisone, gabapentin (for deep nerve pain), and tramadol along with a month of very strict activity restriction.  He is better than before now.  We think he had a pinched nerve in his neck, but it was horrible.  He would SCREAM, his head would get stuck turned to the side, he would stumble, and sometimes his bladder would leak.

I hope Ringo is getting some relief, sending Crush vibes from all of us to all of you.

Biko went through a bout of screaming and strange posturing and stumbling, It was a freeze in place and try not to panic sound that came out of him, it caused a visceral response in me,  He too was given some tramadol and a muscle relaxant for about 2 weeks, he recovered and *knock on wood* has been doing pretty well since then, we had to make him a raised table to eat his food off of, to prevent any neck strain, but he just thinks it is fitting of his royal status so he doesn't mind at all!

I hope you can find a solution that works! In the end, we are the ones responsible for making the tough decisions, just know that you will know what is the right thing to do!

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

Tramadol and Gabapentin both proved very effective in treating out 18 year old Opal when she hurt her back.

Rosie is currently on Gabapentin to help slow the effects of her degenerative spinal condition. It is difficult to tell what effect it is having because she is a tenacious little thug who has no intention of ever taking things easy, and will just pull herself around using her front legs on the very worst of days.

Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users