Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Virgin Coconut Oil Drying Out Skin?

- - - - - Coconut oil Dry skin Alopecia x Coconut oil drying out skin Adverse reactions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

MissMaple

MissMaple

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone! I wish I had introduced us before starting off with a problem/questions, but here I am! This forum community has been amazingly helpful as a first time hairless dog mama. First some background: four months ago, I adopted Maple, who was thought by the shelter and subsequent rescues to be a Chinese Crested mix. I did endless research on hairless dog care before and after adopting her. The vet and I think she might just be a chi mix with alopecia x (also known as black skin disease). She's been losing and gaining hair symmetrically, currently gaining more than losing. She's currently eating Wellness Core small breed, gets a 1/2 tsp of coconut oil in her food, 1/2 tsp of Ultra Oil (a combination of anchovie, sardine, and hempseed oil), and frequently gets banana, apple, celery, and carrot pieces. She gets a bath once a month (we're in NY) with a 1:4 mixture of apple cider vinegar and water with roughly two tsp of coconut oil. I lightly rub her down with coconut oil when we're done. For the last two months, the top of her head, neck, outer ears, and tail (all hairless) have been getting very dry and flaky. So dry that even applying coconut oil once daily isn't enough, and I worry that it's making the problem worse. Could it be the coconut oil? Has anyone had this issue, and what did you do instead? For a couple of weeks I tried just leaving it alone altogether to see if balance would restore itself, but I just couldn't stand looking at her poor little dry noggin and tail without doing something about it anymore.

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

I'm pulling straws out of thin air here.  And, I am no expert and have never had this problem -- just tossing thoughts into thin air. 

I notice that the Wellness Core is grain free which is great; but it does have chicken which some dogs are allergic to.  I believe (and could be wrong) that a venison protein is less hypoallergenic.  I use Natural Balance Venison & sweet potato kibble.  I am in no means trying to plug Natural Balance, but only mention this because I had a vet quiz me extensively for another of his clients.  I would also recommend bathing the dog every two weeks instead of once a month.  I use a coconut scrub on my hairless dogs and it keeps their skin nice and soft

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Coconut oil, Dry skin, Alopecia x, Coconut oil drying out skin, Adverse reactions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users