Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Congestive Heart Failure Treatment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
Hello all,

I haven't posted in quite a while. I am sure some of you remember Gizmo.

Gizmo is 11 years old and this past Friday had an episode of fainting and collapsing which appeared to be ataxia. We took him to the emergency vet where they said he tested normal on his vitals. Fast forward to Sunday night. Gizmo collapsed multiple times and had a lot of trouble breathing. We ended up at the emergency vet twice that evening.
He had fluid in his lungs and around his heart, and his heart is enlarged and is now a Grade 6 murmur. It was a Grade 3 and 4 in the past.
I adopted Gizmo when he was 5, and he has had a cough on and off. It has worsened in the past six months, but we attributed it to his murmur.

It was very scary and touch and go on Sunday. The vet only has experience with emergency medicine, so after 4 doses of Lasix by injection we began him on Pimobendan as an oral medicine to see if it got him through the night while in an oxygen cage.

On Monday morning we saw his regular practice vet, who diagnosed him with Congestive Heart Failure and said it might be due to a genetic Mitral valve problem and the cause of his murmur all along.

Gizmo is still on Pimobendan and Lasix. We are taking him for a recheck in a week and a half. He has not had a collapsing episode since Sunday evening. It was so scary seeing my boy go through this all. He has eaten and kept hydrated, and been pottying. I have changed his diet to a homemade low sodium diet, and researched different herbal medicines.

I am interested in any foods, or herbs, Chinese medicine or homeopathic remedies anyone has had success with in their CC. Any advice would be amazing.

Thanks in advance. I just want to see my boy through this. My sweet heart dog.

Posted Image

Davyde

Davyde

Stray Human

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

Sadly I have nothing to offer but my best wishes for Gizmo.

Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

Hairy Junebugs

Hairy Junebugs

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 5,333 posts

Aww, so sorry to hear he is sick. It seems heart problems are all too common with the breed. My Hairy was diagnosed with a murmur about a year and a half ago when he was just 6, took him to a Cardiologist and found out he has degenerative valve disease. Hairy doesn't need any meds right now, thankfully. My senior gal, Penny, has CHF and is on Enalapril and Vetmedin (pimobendan) It sounds like you are doing everything right. Hairy's Cardiologist does recommend fish oil supplements, he said that can help slow the process. These are the ones I use. 

https://www.chewy.co...t-cats/dp/35750

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image* Posted Image *

Imzadi83

Imzadi83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA

Chloe's cardiologist also recommend fish oil, but I use krill because I heard it was better than fish oil. Her doctor didn't complain about it.

I also have her on ubiquniol which is which the reduced form of CoQ10. I already knew this was good for heart problems and put her on it as soon as she was diagnosed with a murmur. My vet holistic vet was glad to hear it as it was something she would have recommended anyway. I get both this and the krill oil from Mercola.

I've also heard of an herbal product called Young at Heart that has great reviews though I haven't spoken to anyone irl that has used it. It can't be used in conguction with standard heart meds, but for dogs who have or devolpe problematic side effects from the meds it may be useful. It can be found at petwellbeing.com

Sorry about the lack of links, I can't get them to work on here.

Also one of the ingredients in YAH is nettle herb. Chloe was already on a tincture of that for her coughing due to allergies so that may be helping her as well. She's not on any heart meds yet (knock on wood)  so I don't know if this alone would interfere, but I thought I'd mention it.

Although I'm not sure how well it works, when Chloe has laser acupuncture for her neck the vet also does heart points.

I'm sorry for what you and your dog are going through. Although Chloe is my first dog with a heart problem I had a parakeet who had a heart problem. He was on heart meds (Lasix and Enalapril I think) and CoQ10 and lived long enough to impress his vet and Chloe's cardiologist when I spoke of him. Hang in there.

Chloe had a collapsing spell as well that sent us to the ER, then to the holistic regular vet (who heard the murmer), then the cardiologist who said it was a loud two and caused by her mitral valve. Though they all claim it isn't bad enough to have caused the collapsing that night.

The irony of the whole incident is that had it not happened, because of her breeds tendency towards heart problems, I was going to have a ProBNP (I think I'm remembering that correctly) done on her next check up which detects fluid from the heart in the blood (or something like that) and can indicate a heart problem before you hear the murmer. The cardiologist was shocked I'd even heard of the test, but said by that time it was a moot point.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users