Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bringing Home Bowie

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Mariehkip

Mariehkip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everyone! We are picking up our new puppy CC Bowie this Sunday. We have a long drive to do so we will need to stay in a hotel on the way back. I really wanted our home to be his first "new" place...but over here is moose country and driving in the dog is a bad idea. Any tips on how I can make this "longer" transition more comfortable for him? We also have a goldendoodle whos 4.. should we bring her with us or wait till we are home to introduce them?

Thanks guys :)

lunatica

lunatica
Hi there! Congrats on getting a new baby! I am sure he will be so loved!
We drive our two pups, a cc/ chihuahua hairless and a chihuahua/ dachshund/ Jack Russell mix 5000 miles every year to spend 6 months in Mexico, away from the Canadian winters -so I know a thing or two about travelling with dogs. Lol Last trip we made in Oct we had 5 dogs with us.
I think it would be best if you left your golden doodle at home if you can, just for this trip. Hotels can be hard to get at the best of times when you travel with a dog. So it might be easier to get a room if you only have one small pup.
My dogs like to feel secure when they travel so they are in their kennel or they have their seatbelts on. I don’t let them ride loose, not with they way airbags deploy or sudden stops that could be disastrous.
Bring lots of blankets, they have lots of uses. Protects the seats, keeps Bowie warm. Lots of short stops on the way home. Bring lots of water even though he probably will sleep the whole way.
Have a great adventure!! It will be a great trip!

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Good luck with your drive home and congrats on the new pup!  I hope you post pics once you get settled.

I agree with Lunatica in taking lots of blankets, water and everything that you could possibly imagine you might need on a long a trip -- maybe a set of earplugs as well.  Zoey cried the entire 3 hour drive home, on a Friday night after work.  Since you used the word "we," I am assuming you have someone going with you, which should make things much easier.  I wanted to shoot myself on the drive home.  LOL!  That being said, she has turned into a wonderful dog.  I restrain my dogs in the car and the smallest harness I add (to attach her to the car seat) was a tad big for a 2-1/2 lb puppy.  I don't think one night in a hotel will make a huge difference in the long run.

Re the Goldendoodle, I'm not sure.  Ideally, you want to introduce the dogs in a neutral territory, but I'm not sure it's worth taking the Doodle on such a long trip.  You can always do a meet and greet on neutral territory before you bring the puppy into the house.

Posted Image

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

the original post appears to be over a year ago.....but I would still like an update on how it went, and pics of your baby would be great !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users