Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Low Fat Diet

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

alfieboosmum

alfieboosmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have had Alfie boo's very sick these past 2 weeks and he has just been diagnosed with pancreatitis and placed on a low fat diet. I was given 5 tins and a bag of biscuits from the vet to start off with and was feeding a raw diet from country hunter ( not sure if only available in the uk) after consulting with the vet that brand is higher in fat then she would like so sticking to the vet diet till we can find another raw brand lower in fat. I was wondering if anyone here has ever had this condition and if it is a lifetime problem also if there are any recipes any one knows for treats that are low fat or even fat free as the diet seems quite bland and tasteless. He really is being a little trooper eating it though I feel so guilty not being able to share my treats with him as I am not sure what he is allowed any more. He has green beans already and other vegetables for treats every now and then but he can be quite fussy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • alfieboosmum likes this

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

I'll check my recipe books. I'm sure I have a recipe for low fat dog treats somewhere.

Otherwise I'd suggest experimenting with a range of different veg to see if any takes his fancy. Carrots, sweet potato, apple and squashes are popular with a lot of dogs. Ours have also enjoyed red and green peppers, melon, and even sprouts (Sapphi is a strange girl!)

Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

alfieboosmum

alfieboosmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks so much Davyde I would really appreciate that. I know he love sweet potato I will have to experiment with other veg.

Davyde

Davyde

OK, I've got a few healthy recipes in my book, but I'll start off with just a couple:

SPINACH BISCUITS

125g frozen spinach

2 tablespoons grated parmesan

100g all purpose flour

100g fine rolled oats

water and flour as required

Cook the spinach in a little water, drain it and puree it

Mix with the rest of the ingredients to make an easily shaped dough (add water or flour as needed)

Heat the oven to 180C/350F shape little portions of the dough with a spoon (should make about 40 biscuits). Bake for about 30 minutes.

Once cooled store in a biscuit tin. Should last about two weeks

BANANA BISCUITS

2 carrots

1 banana

200g all purpose flour

100g fine rolled oats

50ml sunflower oil

water as required

Grate the carrots finely, and mash the banana. Mix with the other ingredients to make a dough

Preheat oven to 180C/350F

On a floured surface, roll dough out to about 1cm thick and cut into 4cm squares.

Bake for about 25 minutes. Leave them in the oven to cool off overnight. Store in a paper or linen bag.

Should keep for about 3 weeks

Hope that helps

Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

alfieboosmum

alfieboosmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you I will definitely be trying both these recipes out they sound nice hope he likes them

Davyde

Davyde

Do we have any feedback from Alfie yet?

:biggrin:

alfieboosmum

alfieboosmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alfie boo is doing much better think you he has another blood test next Tuesday to check his pancreas levels crossing fingers everything is normal. Making the carrot and banana biscuits as he wasn't keen on the spinach hoping these are more to his taste. Other than that he his back to his normal self luckily the has not messed his epilepsy around too much only a few fits when he couldn't keep anything down.

alfieboosmum

alfieboosmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just got Alfie boo's blood work results. Pancreas levels still high so although he absolutely loves the carrot and banana biscuits no more treats not even once a week. We have to get the levels down as they are bordering dangerous where he could develop diabetes and we really don't want thato on top of the epilepsy. He has another blood test for yet another two weeks all I can say is thank God for pet insurance as at £134 a test it is starting to add up. He means everything to me so no cost is too high my family have said that they will give donations to the vet for Alfie boo's Christmas present just to get him better xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users