Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alternative To E-Collar For Sensitive/irritated Skin?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

AZJ

AZJ

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA

Hello!

My oldest HL Crestie girl is 11 this year. Since last winter she has had more skin issues pop up than ever before in her life. Irritation/small scrapes. Thus far, the vet has not found any reason - although he tried looking for "the usual suspects". Food allergies, mites, yeast/bacterial/fungal infections. No test has come back positive. In every other way, she is doing well and is a much loved and maybe slightly spoiled old gal.

Things were going fine but then early this week she wouldn't stop licking a spot on her left front leg. I couldn't see anything obvious on Tuesday, but tonight I found a good sized pimple there, which burst open as soon as I held her still to get a closer look. I gave her a warm bath and after she was dry I sprayed a small amount of doggie liquid bandage on it that my vet recommended I keep on hand. She was snoozing on my bed after that and I went into the kitchen so didn't see her for about 30 minutes. When I came back into my bedroom I found that she'd woken up and now a larger area (surrounding the same place) was looking irritated/red. I caught her mid-lick, so I knew why!

That's when I finally resorted to an e-collar. One problem, and why I waited to go the e-collar route... she only has one eye + cataracts, so this severely impacts her field of vision. Which translates into her ability to get around. :( It's transparent, which is why I bought it. Thinking it would be better with her limited vision. But I guess not.

The doggie liquid bandage seems to work pretty well, or did previously in places she could not easily lick. But if she just keeps licking this same spot I think that its effectiveness will decrease quickly. So I'm wondering if someone has an idea for a "better" way to keep her away from her lower front leg without messing up her field of vision? It shouldn't take TOO long to heal up... I'm thinking a week max. IF I can get her to leave it alone.

I've just seen the inflatable donut type collars while searching online, but am not sure they're big/wide enough to keep her from getting to the ankle area. And of course, anything I put on any part of her skin... I have to worry about chafing. But maybe some kind of long sleeved baby shirt? Or???

Also... After going over a bunch of threads here, one thing I've not tried yet in this last year is coconut oil. So I just ordered some. It seemed like some people give it orally (from what I found it's approx. 1/4tsp mixed with food 1-2x/day for my 19lb girl), some are using it topically. Which is better to start with just in case of sensitivities? I know several people mentioned that too much can upset their tummy, and I definitely don't want to do that. But wasn't sure about a topical application with kind of raw (but not bloody) skin?

Thanks for the help :)

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

I have used it on hot spots [caused by allergies ] with great success....and I find that it works even if they eventually lick it off.....I just have to apply it , then make sure he can't get at it for a few minutes

AZJ

AZJ

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA

I have used it on hot spots [caused by allergies ] with great success....and I find that it works even if they eventually lick it off.....I just have to apply it , then make sure he can't get at it for a few minutes

Thanks :) I assume you go with a small amount of coconut oil topically in that application? Do you give it with food orally also, or stick with topically?

tiff'smom

tiff'smom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

This is just what I did when my Bichon wouldn't stop licking his two front legs to the point that it was raw looking.  I did bandage it with tensor bandages and tape but what worked the best was I took a pair of my pantyhose, cut the legs off to the length of his legs, cut a hole in the crotch for his head.  Then I stitched the bottom of the hose so the leg at the bottom would be tighter and it worked.   It is probably a weird idea but it worked for me.  Sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

AZJ

AZJ

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA

This is just what I did when my Bichon wouldn't stop licking his two front legs to the point that it was raw looking.  I did bandage it with tensor bandages and tape but what worked the best was I took a pair of my pantyhose, cut the legs off to the length of his legs, cut a hole in the crotch for his head.  Then I stitched the bottom of the hose so the leg at the bottom would be tighter and it worked.   It is probably a weird idea but it worked for me.  Sometimes you just have to think outside the box.

That's pretty genius! I wonder if baby/toddler tights would work, since her legs are short-ish. She's a cobby body. Thank you for the great input!

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

I give him coconut oil as a treat every few days , too......just a bit on my finger...he loves it   [ I can't even say the word ''coconut' 'without him jumping around in excitement ]

you have to be careful not to give too much.....it can cause ''unpleasant '' results!

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
I don't know if you sew at all but I made a "softie" e collar for one of my hairless cats when she kept licking at her spay incision. All it basically is 2 pieces of fabric cut in a circle big enough that the can't get to whatever you want to keep them from and a piece of stiff interfacing between. Then I threaded a ribbon around the part that her head went threw and tied it on. The end result is a floppy soft e collar and in my case a mad cat who looked something like one of those lizards that have that thing pop up around their heads. I'm attaching a pic, it's not great but hopefully it helps. If you're interested, just Google diy softie e collars and a tutorial should pop up, that's how I learned to make the one I did.49a8864bed183aec23e8ffe21e357291.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

AZJ

AZJ

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUSA

woofiestreatsntees.com:

Oh my gosh, that's kind of adorable. Haha. And a great idea! I can't sew, but I have a couple friends who can. I think I will "invest in our future" and look into this! Thank you very much for the great input!

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA

woofiestreatsntees.com:

Oh my gosh, that's kind of adorable. Haha. And a great idea! I can't sew, but I have a couple friends who can. I think I will "invest in our future" and look into this! Thank you very much for the great input!

I just thought of it, you could probably make it with this glue stuff instead of sewing since it's so simple. I think it's called liquid stitch, I've never used it myself but I've heard great things about it. Check for it at walmart or a craft store in the sewing section

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users