Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hey, Is That A.........?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

MoJean

MoJean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationU.P of MI

So I have seen this on other forums about other breeds, where their dogs will be confused for other things, like Italian Greyhound owners will get asked if it's a deer, or Newfoundland owners ask if they actually have a bear, and on and on, so I was wondering if anyone has any stories like that about their CC? 

killerleaf

killerleaf

It seems as if I have heard two different types of questions:  a, people gushing, "OMG it's a chinese crested!!"  or, more often "WHAT is that?"

• Addy's Mom likes this
beware, for beyond there be dragons

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

or ''that looks just like ''my little pony ''

• Davyde likes this

1crestie

1crestie
  • LocationSo. California
While camping someone asked if my little guy Johnny was a cat.
A little kid asked me if my dog could fly...a reference to Bucks big Dumbo ears.
th_4b6276a97557c5a26524fd77469d8d98.jpg th_852190459f1f55b51db28b5a702bcf00.jpg th_fd4ac1abdbffdffdcbd75577bb1b2d9c.jpg

So California Crest-Care Rep Dog, n. A subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the worlds worship.-Ambrose Bierce

MoJean

MoJean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationU.P of MI

I love all these lol 
My answer would have been yes, to all of them, especially the my little pony comment lol 

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

mine is only every confused with poodles... dont know why as the shave is the reverse of a poodle in a way... but hey ho...

apart from that i just tend to hear comments like oh my gosh its like he is wearing little booties (or socks)

Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mona83

Mona83
The only comments people have said to me is "why did you shave your chihuahua?" I responded very sarcastically with "does he really look like a chihuahua to you?" And another was from a woman that had her son with her and she asked in a very rude, disgusted way "what's wrong with him?" So i responded back in a rude way with "nothing, he's perfect! What's wrong with your son?" I know i shouldn't have said that but some people shouldn't be so rude for no reason.
  • Imzadi83 likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

killerleaf

killerleaf

actually, one halloween, Max was done up like a "my little pony"...he was not thrilled with the process, but I thought he looked cute!

MoJean

MoJean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationU.P of MI

Oh wow. 
Next time anyone says whats wrong with him, ask why, and when she says well he has no hair blah blah blah, exsplain he is a hairless breed, then go on to say you know, I wasn't going to say anything, but I have to know. Whats that thing on your neck? it's huge, and kind of weird looking.....Look at her face all confused, then say "Oh, never mind. Thats just your head" 
 I would love to see Max done up as a my little pony lol 
Maybe they figure it was a pet poodle cut gone wrong? The show poodles do have hair in all the places cc do, but they also have the little balls on their hips lol 

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

The only comments people have said to me is "why did you shave your chihuahua?" I responded very sarcastically with "does he really look like a chihuahua to you?" And another was from a woman that had her son with her and she asked in a very rude, disgusted way "what's wrong with him?" So i responded back in a rude way with "nothing, he's perfect! What's wrong with your son?" I know i shouldn't have said that but some people shouldn't be so rude for no reason.

That reminds me of an exchange I had with one particularly obnoxious youngster a few years ago:

"Your dog looks like a mutant! Why's it got no hair?"

"Because I ripped it all out ...and I'm going to do the same thing to you." (In my best Rutger Hauer voice)

• ann likes this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

tiff'smom

tiff'smom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Instead of making a nasty comment back just say " I love him the way he is" and walk away. 

• Chyna likes this

Davyde

Davyde

Instead of making a nasty comment back just say " I love him the way he is" and walk away. 

Very sensible.

...but not as satisfying!

:biggrin:

• ann likes this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

I find people tend to either love or hate the breed.  My mother is one of the haters, insulting my Cresteds over the years.  To this day, she will still quiz me on why I have this breed.

My first CC was compared to David Bowie, Paris Hilton and poodles.  LOL!  Personally, I feel like he looked like a Clydesdale, especially when running.  No comment.

I feel like an ambassador for the breed on the rare occasion I am able to take one to work with me.  My co-workers are enlightened and educated with the breed, and much more accepting.  Although, I find many people still have a difficult time with a naked dog.  Everyone has different tastes and I can't fault them.

Posted Image

Chyna

Chyna

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State

I've had people ask me if they are a hairless terrier or a mexican hairless.  Which blows my mind since I'm in MT, I gotta say those two breeds have to be RARE up here.  compared to cresteds at least. :)

I tend to belive that I'm an ambassador to the breed here too so I try to be as gracious as possible.  Not saying I won't give them the stink eye though if rude.

tanya :p

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

I once got asked if they were japanese chins.

And once in the park a man was calling insistantly to his little boy............."george, george, come here"........."what Dad"............."quick, come here, look........REAL LIFE SPACE ALIENS!"

They were really facinated by them, especially the little boy and spent ages stroking them both and giving them treats.

killerleaf

killerleaf

ok, the alien comment was kinda funny!!  my 3 year old grandson is fascinated with Max.  They were over this weekend, and he loves to pet Max...and telling him momma that "he doesn't have hair" and "he soft, momma"

Chyna

Chyna

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State

There used to be a site for a crested YEARS ago where the dog explained that he was an alien.  Was pretty funny, think his name was gizmo and was from Italy or someplace in Europe. :)

tanya :p

Imzadi83

Imzadi83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUSA

I'm surprised how many people know what Chloe is, since they are pretty rare. I'd actually never met one until the rescue brought her over to us.

Most of the time people don't bother guessing if they don't know although one guy thought she was a Papillion. I thought that was odd since her ears are floppy.  

• ann likes this

Agreenwd

Agreenwd
A friend of mine has commented that my CC puff looks like a mini Afghan =)
  • Addy's Mom likes this

Agreenwd

Agreenwd
A friend of mine has commented that my CC puff looks like a mini Afghan =)
  • Davyde likes this

Dangermouse

Dangermouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Most people assume that my Demi is some kind of tiny yorkie or maltese mix. She is unusually small for a crested (only 5lbs) and being a puff has all that hair. 

Since I also have an Afghan hound I do like to call her Amelia's tiny minion. Not only do they share coat length and texture but they have very similar personalities.

A little bit neurotic, very opinionated, and sensitive (occasionally overly so.) Also while they both love all the people in the household they are very noticeably my dogs. 

Slightly off topic but I get a lot more comments about my other dogs. Most people think that Amelia is a grey hound or a whippet which boggles me since she is fluffy. 

Also when my mastiff (who has sadly passed on) was a puppy - I got told she was a lovely saint bernard.  My very short haired fawn mastiff...

I do hope to eventually add a hairy hairless to the family - I cannot help but think Demi would benefit from having someone closer to her own size to play with! will be interesting to see what sorts of comments I get then!

Esylum

Esylum
  • LocationRunning with Scissors

Our Hairy Hairless was called a Poodle with Mange... 

She has also been referred to as a werewolf baby.... 

I had the cutest little girl come up to Biko one day and she asked if she could pet my baby reindeer... Lol... She then took her moms hand and had her pet him while saying "Itssa bay-bee rain deer"

My Xolo always gets referred to as a whippet...

I think the hairless look like little Unicorns :) but if we are talking about how they feel... I always tell people its like a rubber chicken mixed with a hot water bottle. 

Davyde

Davyde
It always amazes me when people ask how hairless dogs feel, or "how can you stroke it?"
I normally ask these people if they are married or ever had a boyfriend/girlfriend. If so, have they never stroked their skin?
  • Addy's Mom likes this

Davyde

Davyde
It always amazes me when people ask how hairless dogs feel, or "how can you stroke it?"
I normally ask these people if they are married or ever had a boyfriend/girlfriend. If so, have they never stroked their skin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users