Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anyone In The Pacific Midwest?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Graceful Senses

Graceful Senses

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationRedwood Coast, CA

I'm not sure what else to call northern Cali/southern Oregon lol.  We are moving to the tippy top of California in a few weeks and I'm wondering what others are using for flea, tick, mosquito prevention meds.  Nautica is on Comfortis for fleas only, but the redwood forest will be our new backyard so even though we're not big hikers I want to make sure both her and Stewie are protected.  Our vet recommended replacing the Comfortis with either Braveto or Nexgard, and adding Heartgard after a negative heartworm test.  Thanks in advance!

1766401eee88bbbm3.jpg

Ashima's Nautical Blush 10/6/08 CCPP

Stewart Gilligan 1/22/04 Beagle

Missing my heart, my joy, my sweet angel boy~Teddy 5/15/96 - 9/19/08~

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
Well we dont live in that area BUT we used Bravecto over the summer because we spent a lot of time in the woods and it worked very well for us.
  • Graceful Senses likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***MEGAN***

CaptainJack

CaptainJack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

I always try to use the most natural remedies because I have noticed CJ can itch from over the counter remedies. I soak his collar in a combination of essential oils to help repel fleas and ticks. I use the oils from DoTerra as they are better quality than what you can buy in the store. We live in IA so the in the winter I just soak his collar but in heavy flea and tick season I use Frontline Plus on him every 6 months. 

If you want the oil combination I use let me know.

Graceful Senses

Graceful Senses

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Thanks CaptainJack!  After doing a lot of reading, it seems most tick meds come with added flea prevention and I don't want to double dose her so I'm leaning towards the oils too :) . 

I've read either putting diluted oil between shoulderblades and base of tail or on the collar/harness/t-shirt can work.  I've read about rose geranium for topical and lemongrass/eucalyptus/coconut oil/garlic/vinegar/tea tree oil mixture for the yard but don't have any recipes yet.  Would love for you to share yours, thanks again!

1766401eee88bbbm3.jpg

CaptainJack

CaptainJack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

Graceful Senses,

I agree, I did a TON of reading before I decided to switch over to oils on CJ. I figured I use then on me so with dilution they should work for him as well :) so far it has been a life saver.  He doesn't particularly like the smell of them and like to roll all over my stuff or the grass to show his disapproval but it gives me a laugh and does help.

My 2 must haves for spring - fall are the following:

1) for Flea and Tick Repellant

1c Distilled Water

2c Distilled White Vinegar

20 Drops of Lavender Oil

20 Drops of Eucalyptus Oil

10 Drops Peppermint (you can use more but I use less due to irritation to his skin)

*This mix is also GREAT because you can use it on yourself, the dogs and little kids*

To put it on CJ I lay his collar out and drench it, you could also place the collar directly in the bottle to absorb it, let it dry and it is ready to go. I usually re-apply it to the collar every 2 weeks or after it is washed. I dont have CJ wear his collar or harness in the house so when it is not on him I keep it in a baggie to help it last longer.

2) Bug and Gnat Spray

4oz Distilled water

4oz Witch Hazel

30 drops of any of the following oils: Basil, eucalyptus, geranium, lavender, lemongrass or peppermint.

*Again this can be used on ANYONE!!*

I usually use a mix of all the oils minus the lemongrass as I don't care for the smell and my own skin does not always like it. I usually spray this directly on CJ, he has a terrible time with Gnats and it really helps to keep them away from him. 

I hope this helps! If you need a place to get the oils I can give you a link to my website with DoTerra and you can order them from there.

Graceful Senses

Graceful Senses

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Awesome thank you!  I used to mist diluted peppermint on Stewie to keep fleas away until we could get Nautica to stop bringing them inside.  For some reason she's just a flea magnet.  I think we'll start with 1 or 2 oils at a time to make sure pups and humans don't have reactions, and then add more.  I have issues with lavender, so I totally get yours with lemongrass!  Look forward to checking out your website :)

1766401eee88bbbm3.jpg

CaptainJack

CaptainJack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRaymond IA

Graceful senses,

here is the link to my DoTerr Website : DoTerra with Jenn take a look and let me know if you have any questions. I know they are offering a big special for people who sign up this month but dont feel pressured to do so. I know you are new to oils so if there are any questions I can answer for you just get in touch with me.

Graceful Senses

Graceful Senses

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Thanks for the link and sorry for the delay in replying!  We didn't get the house in the forest because of plumbing issues so we had to take another trip up to find a place in town.  Still planning on taking a peek at your site though :wink:

1766401eee88bbbm3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users