Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I'm A Little Worried - Annie Arrives Next Week

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Aussie

Aussie
  • LocationFrankston, Vic, Australia

I will be picking Annie up next week. I live in a two bedroom villa/apartment with it's own front fenced in courtyard. I can only have one pet due to space. I'm not a cat person. The reason why I want a dog is to have a companion, take in the car with me and all those usual activities.

As I decided on Cresteds I visited a lot of breeders to meet the dogs and see what they were like. I did my online research and asked breeders about the dog. What I like about them is their temperament. Annie is a hairy hairless and even as a puppy she is so gentle and seemingly sweet natured. I've grown up with dogs my whole life from chihuahuas to poodles and even bull terriers (all at different times, not together).

The problem with online research is the conflicting information obviously (one site will say "chalk" and another will say "cheese"). I work during the day so this means Annie will be on her own during that time. I bought her toys and a radio to keep her company during the day. There will be just Annie and I so there's no problem giving her all my attention. I'm worried (from some of what I've read) that this breed of dog won't cope at all with being alone during the day. Of course I've read the same thing about many dog breeds, but hey we got to eat right.

I have enrolled Annie into puppy and dog school and when I am home she will go for walks and be out and about with me quite often.

I guess what I'm asking is will she be okay when I'm at work? I'd really appreciate your comments.

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
She should be fine, just make sure you puppy proof the area she'll be left in and leave her lots of toys to keep her occupied. If it's a crate, make sure it's big enough for a bed and a pee pad since puppies can't hold it for very long. If you can go home on your lunch break, it might be a good idea, at least at first to check in and such. Oh and kongs filled with frozen peanut butter and the like are great too.
  • Addy's Mom likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

Aussie

Aussie

I got her a kong under the advice of the pet store so I'll do that. I do have a crate for her. Crates are a fairly new concept here in Australia and many people don't use them, but I have friends in Canada and New York who I've seen use them.

Trust me she's going to be the centre of my attention (albeit with some discipline of course).

• Addy's Mom likes this

Florrie

Florrie

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

She should be ok. We I go out I leave the tv on for my little boy, lots of toys, treats, warm blankets and pee pee pads in strategic places. I know a lot of people use crates but not for me. When I am home he is the center of attention and knows it. This is the sweetest personality breed you'll ever meet- she will be in your heart forever

• Addy's Mom and Aussie like this

Aussie

Aussie

That's what I like about this breed of dog. They have such a unique nature. I could say I really wanted a true hairless, but to be honest it's the nature of the dog that draws me not just the appearance.

Edited by Aussie, 29 November 2015 - 06:18 PM.

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

we got Jakks from a rescue , and they said he didn't like being left alone....but we started by only being away for an hour or so , and added time from there . He has adapted very well , and knows that when we are home , there is a warm lap to lay on. Now , all I have to say is '''you're going to stay here and be a good boy , and we will be back soon'' and he runs into his crate [ we don't close the door ].....but if I don't tell him we are going out and we just go .....he gets upset.

• Aussie likes this

Aussie

Aussie
Thanks everyone for your advice. I really want what's best for Annie. 4 days to go.

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.

I leave the radio on for my girls when I go out as a kind of human voice for company thing. 

• Aussie likes this

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace, Jimi Hendrix. All dogs go to Heaven, but some dogs live in Hell. Please don't support puppy farmers.

Addy's Mom

Addy's Mom

Best In Show

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
I leave the TV for my girls.There are currently three dogs in the house, but originally I only had Addy, and she did just fine, with toys to occupy her and my full attention when I got home.

Admittedly, one of the puzzles she solved was how to open her crate... :D

Good luck with your new baby.

Lis

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

littlemohawk

littlemohawk

I too leave the radio on when I leave my dogs to go to work, a station that is a talk station not music. (if I left the tv on, and a dog/cat came on tv Miyako would go bezerk!). I also leave a treat ball to occupy them).

http://www.omegapaw....treat-ball.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users