Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sapphire Update

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

I thought it was about time for an update on our foster girl, Sapphire.

She has well and truly made herself part of the pack.

Opal really seems to like having a 'big sister' around again, and although Sapphi is nowhere near as maternal as Charm used to be, she is generally quite happy for Opal to cuddle up to her, and even cleans Opal's eyes for her like Charm used to do. (Opal has a fairly mild case of Dry Eye, which we are able to treat with daily eye-drops and cleaning)

There's no doubt about it, though: Sapphire's favourite is definitely Billy! She plays and flirts like mad with him, even though he is ten years old and she is two and a half. Billy, for his part, is having a bit of a mid-life crisis: Most of the time he loves the attention (even if the affectionate ear-grabs are giving him dreadlocks), but every now and then she gets a bit too much for him and he sneaks off, trying to find somewhere to hide!

This blossoming romance does occasionally put Dizzy's nose out of joint. He considers Billy to be HIS brother, and sometimes gets stroppy at this girl trying to steal his brother away from him.

Apart from Dizzy's little hissy fits, though, everyone gets on fine.

Sapphi has now mastered the stairs, and loves running on the extender lead when we get to the field, although her recall is not good enough to let her off leash just yet. She is still nervous walking on the pavement though.

She did give Rie and I a heart attack just a couple of weeks after she arrived. I was preparing their dinner on the Saturday night when I realised she had gone missing. The bottom of a couple of our fence panels had gone rotten, and Sapphi had half dug, half broken her way out of the garden. Rie and I were up until 5:00am searching for her and I did more trespassing that night than I had done in my entire life.

We got up at 8:00am to start again, and Rie put a DogLost poster on Facebook. Within minutes, friends were replying and tagging a local lady who had posted about finding a dog and taking it in to the vet's the previous night. By 10:00am Sapphire was safely back at home, and I was reinforcing all the garden fences.

Sapphire is certainly happy with the food here. I think Sir Benjamin is the only dog I've known who enjoyed egg fried rice more than she does. She also loves Scrambled Egg Sundays, and as for roast chicken... :biggrin:

She's not too keen on bath night, though.

• ann, poodlemom and LunaFancy like this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

so glad she has settled in and is doing well.

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

So, have you foster failed???  Pictures are a must!

• LunaFancy likes this
[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

Davyde

Davyde

So, have you foster failed???  Pictures are a must!

At this point we are still referring to her as our foster. She will have to stay with us until she has been speyed anyway, which means waiting until she has her next season, so she'll be with us for a few months more at least.

Admittedly Dizzy and Lily were also supposed to be fosters (and Rosie came to us with the option to foster or adopt) so our success rate with fosters is not high...

• ann likes this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I predict a foster fail in 3...2..1.. :tongue:

• ann, Davyde and rlnrn like this

rlnrn

rlnrn

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationNW Arkansas

Just a thought I had, has there ever been a foster leave your home Davyde and Rie? 

• ann likes this

Davyde

Davyde

Just a thought I had, has there ever been a foster leave your home Davyde and Rie? 

Three so far: Bailey the Powderpuff, Jack the Westie, and Bella the terrier. Admittedly two of those were to friends or family, but it still gives us a 50% success rate, at least.

(I'm not counting our old, blind girl Holly, as she came to us as a permanent foster)

• ann likes this

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.

Great update. Glad she's made herself at home so quickly. Wonderful for a frightened and unwanted dog that has found its self in strange surroundings, with people it doesn't know, to feel happy and safe again, and part of the family. It does make it sooo hard on the foster family to part with them eventually though. I have a sneaky feeling that Sapphire may just be too much at home by the time she's speyed, to be going anywhere else. :biggrin:  

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace, Jimi Hendrix. All dogs go to Heaven, but some dogs live in Hell. Please don't support puppy farmers.

Lady & The Tramp

Lady & The Tramp

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationCanada's Wild West Coast

I have a sneaky feeling that Sapphire may just be too much at home by the time she's speyed, to be going anywhere else. :biggrin:

I feel terrible wishing someone failure. ;-D But my fingers are crossed in hopes that that's exactly what happens.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."

-Edward Hoagland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users