Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fancy Had A Seizure

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Lady & The Tramp

Lady & The Tramp

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationCanada's Wild West Coast
2 mornings ago, Fancy had a full blown seizure. At first I thought she was having trouble flipping over to get up, until I saw that her whole body was violently shaking. Panicked, I snatched her up and held her to my chest. After a few seconds, it seemed like the thrashing stopped and I gently set her back on the bed. But the thrashing started immediately again and sobbing not knowing what to do I just grabbed her up and held her close again.
I was gonna take her to the vet but would like your opinions on that. This has never happened before, and although she's 12+ years old, she's in great health and had a geriatric panal come back as good about a month ago prior to dentistry work. My vet tech friend said (and I already knew this) said it could be anything and that I shouldn't waste my money unless it happened again. I don't know how batty I might be if it happened again lol. Then she asked me things like "we're her eyes open of closed", "was it her whole body or just her legs". None of which I could answer positively. All I saw was my sweet girl in distress.

Do you think she should see a vet or...?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."

-Edward Hoagland

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

My weimaraner had an epileptic seizure when she was about a year old so I know how distressing it is to witness- the helpless feeling is awful((hugs)) to you and Fancy! I did take my weim to the vet and while their response was to 'wait and see if she had another one' and she lived til 14 1/2 years without ever having another one, I  would still take Akira or any of my other pets to the vet immediately if it happened to one of them.

But that's just me, I have awesome vets and guess I'd rather be out the $$$ and have the peace of mind knowing the professionals had cleared them rather than worry. I wouldn't be doing MRI or other expensive tests at this stage though. If she's healthy and happy and you're not the overthinking worry wart I am, then I don't suppose there's much to be gained taking her days later... Do you feel like you'd feel better if you took her?

I'd say for sure take her if it happens again though.

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

my late Chihuahua had a seizure when she was 16.5 years old ....we took her to the vet....her kidneys were shutting down.  It's true...it could be a number of things. Do what you feel is best. I hope all goes well for you both.

Lady & The Tramp

Lady & The Tramp

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,025 posts
I would without doubt take Fancy to the vet if she hadn't just had things like her heart, kidneys, and liver checked in preparation for her dentistry work. Those organs all checked out as good or the vet would not have done the dentistry work. That in combination with the idea that i don't have positive answers to questions that my vet tech friend asked and that a vet would ask makes me unsure if seeing a vet is worthwhile. I'm not concerned about the expense so much as just a lack of anything coming from it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."

-Edward Hoagland

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
Our 2.5 pound Chi had 5 siezures in a row last winter. My husband and I just held him and talked to him and when they would stop we put his paws in cool water (hubby read they can get really hot during a siezure). Finally they stopped and he was kind of tired but seemed ok. We took him to the vet in the am (this happened at like 3am) and they couldn't find anything wrong. He hasn't had any since either. Vet said it could have been from stress since right before it happened 2 of the cresteds ganged up on him and were growling and barking at him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

Lady & The Tramp

Lady & The Tramp

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,025 posts
IB&M'sMom - 5 in a row. That must of been sooo scary. And good to know its never happened again.

After googling, unless it happens again, there is to be alarmed about, and in fact, happens frequently in dogs.

I donno, still scares the crap outta me and I hope if never happens again.

-Edward Hoagland

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
Omg it was so scary! My hubby was convinced he wouldn't make it through it and he's such a tiny guy too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.

It sounds like epilepsy. Mischief had her first seizure when she was seven and she's just turned thirteen now. I took her to the vet; the same day and he said to keep an eye on her as it could be a one off.  Unless they became regular or more violent, he doesn't treat them as the drugs have side effects over time. She had several more over the next few months and they were classed as petite mal seizures, which in her case led to full on epilepsy a year later. She was then put on Phenobarbitol tablets which once the dose was regulated, has kept her free of seizures, bar the very odd mild one, for the last six years. Seizures are very frightening for the owner/onlooker but my vet; assured me the dog is not in pain and should be laid in a safe position where it can't injure itself, until it's passed. Although  your instinct is to hold the dog close to comfort it, it's unaware of you and could bite you unintentionally as they have no control over what they do.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace, Jimi Hendrix. All dogs go to Heaven, but some dogs live in Hell. Please don't support puppy farmers.

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hi Deb, just now seeing this. I can only imagine how frightening that was to watch. I hope that it was just a one off for her, and that she doesn't start having more of them.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hi Deb, just now seeing this. I can only imagine how frightening that was to watch. I hope that it was just a one off for her, and that she doesn't start having more of them.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

dappledgray

dappledgray

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Not to freak you out, but we realized our 14+ sweet mutt Lizzy was going to cross the rainbow bridge because of seizures. She had diabetes that was very well managed, but the seizures were due to a brain tumor we had no idea was there. She had four big ones over the course of two days that lasted over ten minutes each and they were horrifying to watch and left her fully disoriented, barking, and frightened. We knew it was time to let her go, as she couldn't live with these grand mal seizures. I'd take yours to the vet, just to get checked out. Film it if they go through another seizure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

alfieboosmum

alfieboosmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alfie boo has just been diagnosed with full blown epilepsy after some very frightening seizures. My vet has him on 30mg of epiphen tablets twice a day. The side effects of the treatment is a very increased appetite that if I let him he would eat all the time I have been making him healthy treats so no shop bought goodies as he also has colitis on top. Has anybody else had the same issue and if so any advice of how to deal with the hunger issue?
I would appreciate any advice.

ann

ann

"Mischief" has her food spread out across the day, as the meds she has to control her epilepsy, and the steroids she has for her immune deficiency disease, cause her to be hungry all the time too.  She has three small meals, roughly four hours apart. I also keep a supply of veggies and fruit, chopped very small as she has no teeth, and she has about a teaspoonful at a time, as treats between meals. This seems to work well for her. You have to harden your heart a little at constant begging though. They will try it on. lol. 

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace, Jimi Hendrix. All dogs go to Heaven, but some dogs live in Hell. Please don't support puppy farmers.

alfieboosmum

alfieboosmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you so much i will definitely try the smaller meals spread out during the day unfortunately he doesn't like fruit and he only likes veg cooked but I did find a recipe for sweet potato and apple and blueberry biscuits so will try those between meals x
  • ann likes this

ann

ann

You could cook up a batch of mixed veggies and freeze in small quantities. Just take out an amount for the day, in the morning. I know it's a lot of messing about but biscuits could make him gain weight.  

Chyna

Chyna

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State

Good question.  Chyna started having seizures roughly before she turned 2 and it would be maybe once a year.  I talked to my vet a couple of times at varying times and all she could ever tell me was that unless she had one in front of them there was nothing they could do.  We did do a chem panel once and she had an elevated level of something or other (I don't remember what it was).  Which was of concern to me but vaguely to them.  Then I had that same panel done on a couple more of my cresties for whatever reason and it was the same thing.  So now I think it could be a genetic thing.

We never figured out what set Pupper off.  We think maybe heat, too much sun, or just stress.  At the end I will say that she had a couple of seizures that weren't anything like the usual ones which seriously freaked me out.  And I forceably made the vet listen to me about them.  Listen to that little voice, do you think you should take her in?  Since you had tests done for the dental I'm not as leaning towards it being something you gotta do now but I would mention it to the vet and see what they say.

tanya :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users