I have been a lurker on the forum, but this is the first time posting. Last week we had to take Gizmo in to get his dew claw cut off because it had got caught on something and was half way torn off. Later that evening, we noticed he had what appeared to be a very bad bruise on the same leg the claw was removed. Since the areas was in the same spot where the anethesia IV was placed, we attributed the bruise tothe IV and didnt worry about it. In the next few days, it began to diminish, getting lighter and lighter each day.
Late last night (10 days after the claw removal) we noticed a very dark bruise like marking on Gizmo's front leg in the very same spot we saw it before. We were pretty startled because it looked worse than it was the day of his surgery, at it appeared so suddenly (we had taken photos of him just a few hours earlier and were able to confirm nothing was present at that time). We also noticed that the leg was swollen, and allthough Gizmo wasnt limping, he appeared to be favoring the other leg. We called the 24/hour vet emergency line and were told that if the "bruised" area continues to grow, that we needed to take him into the emergency room, otherwise it could wait until morning. We drew a circle around the bruise with marker and kept a close eye. After a few hours of not seeing any expansion, we finally called it a night and went to bed around 4:00am.
At around 7:30am this morning we woke up to learn that it had in fact expanded, about 33%. We took him to vet and they ran a told them about how we saw something similar the day that he had the surgery. They dismissed any connection and said its possible that he got bitten by a snake or ate rat poison. After confirming neither of the two were likely scenarios given our surroundings, they said it might be some kind of tic bite or lyme disease. They took some blood tests, and sent us on our way, telling us to call them if it gets worse. We grabbed a marker and again drew an outline of the bruise of it so that we could see if it expanded.
Later in the afternoon, we checked him and again it had continued to expand. We called the vet and were told to bring him back in. They had the blood tests back from our morning visit, and everything looked normal with the exception of the "D-Dimer" test. A normal result for dogs is less than 250, but Gizmo's came back at 3,624. The vet said that he wasnt sure what that meant, because usually other results will be abnormal in combination with the D-Dimer, which helps pinpoint the issue. Having an elevated D-Dimer only is something he hadnt experienced before. He called an interalist for advice, and was told we should just bring him back tomorrow morning for more tests.
I am hoping that one of you may have experienced what we are going through and could provide some insight. As of right now, my vet is stumped on what is causing my dogs condition and his only suggestion is if he begins bleeding out of orfices (eyes, nose, mouth etc) than to take him to the emergency room. I dont want to wait until it gets to that point to take action if there is something else that can be addressed.
Attached are photos of his bruising. The first twwo were taken this morning, the last two were taken just now (you can see it is impacting both sides of his leg). The interior circle with black marker is where we outlined the bruise last night (it gives you an idea of how it has since progressed). Does anyone have any suggestions? I am desperate here...
Edited by gumby, 19 May 2015 - 11:38 PM.