Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How Big Are Your Cresties And When Do They Stop Growing?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Akira is 33cm at the wither and weighs 5.4kg and he's only 19 weeks old. That's already the upper end of the height/weight range in the breed standard here in Australia. Could he be done growing already? If not, I have to wonder-  how big will he get?

I messaged his breeder today asking for the parents height to see if he is from big stock, but thought I'd ask you guys how big your babies are.

It really doesn't matter to me, he's a pet not a show dog, but still...he seems huge for a crestie lol! And he already has a 43cm chest so can't fit a lot of the cute clothes! *sadface*

Who wants to guess how big he'll end up?

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
I would guess he's going to be a big boy! My 5 are 10, 10, 9, 7, and 5 pounds fully grown.
  • LunaFancy likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

srsteagall

srsteagall

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

This Handsome guy is 16 lbs.

Attached Files

• LunaFancy likes this

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

16lb, that just over 7kgs lol! OMG, that IS a big boy. :)

Bella&Marely's Mommy your guys are the range I thought they came in, like I said I don't care as such, but it's just surprising. The breeder said his parents were tall but she seemed to think he would be finished growing now. 19 weeks does seem a touch young for that, don't you think?

Ah well, time will reveal all I guess. I'm off to get Simplicity pattern 3939 on Friday- he will have ALL the cute clothes no matter how big he gets! :)

• srsteagall likes this

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

mine is 8.5 lbs......perfect for a lap dog !

• LunaFancy likes this

1crestie

1crestie
  • LocationSo. California
Mine are 7, 13, and 13 1/2 lbs
  • LunaFancy likes this
th_4b6276a97557c5a26524fd77469d8d98.jpg th_852190459f1f55b51db28b5a702bcf00.jpg th_fd4ac1abdbffdffdcbd75577bb1b2d9c.jpg

So California Crest-Care Rep Dog, n. A subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the worlds worship.-Ambrose Bierce

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Thanks 1crestie! :) Does 19 weeks seem to young to have finished growing heightwise to anyone else? I've never had a little dog before so am used to them growing upwards for a year or so myself. He's utterly gorgeous at any height, but I' getting worried he'll outgrow his Touchdog clothes, and I really like them.

1crestie

1crestie
  • LocationSo. California
He still has some growing to do. Hard to say when they stop for sure, but at 19 weeks, he is not done yet.
  • LunaFancy likes this
th_4b6276a97557c5a26524fd77469d8d98.jpg th_852190459f1f55b51db28b5a702bcf00.jpg th_fd4ac1abdbffdffdcbd75577bb1b2d9c.jpg

So California Crest-Care Rep Dog, n. A subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the worlds worship.-Ambrose Bierce

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
I think mine stopped growing around 6-8 months
  • LunaFancy likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

Puppet45

Puppet45

My Buddy is 6 months old and is 6lbs, Mulan is 4 months old and is 5.5lbs. 

• LunaFancy likes this

Florrie

Florrie

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

other than a few ounces either way, my Magee has been 13 pounds since his first birthday. He had a little lull between 8-9 months and we thought he had stopped growing. Any size is a perfect size for a Crestie.  :)

• LunaFancy likes this

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Thanks guys! I suppose he might not grow any taller but could still fill out - or he could get even taller lol! My weim kept growing til she was nearly 2 so I was a little fuzzy on the growth pattern of a small breed.

Just like Florrie says, any size is just fine, but it would be perfect if he could still fit the Touchdog clothes I bought one size up to allow for growth- they are really hard to get in Australia and I'm rather fond of the ones he has! :D

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Well, we had our last Puppy Pre-school night tonight- and he weighed in at 6.5kgs! that's 14.33lbs for the non metric people! OMG! he's gained a kilo in a week! o.O lol!

I've said to mum that personality wise he's a big dog in a little dog's body but at this rate who knows lol! :tongue:

We have a couple of weeks off now and then we're off to Basic Obedience. I'm a bit excited by that!

Gavriella

Gavriella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm starting puppy school tonight at PetSmart.  Any suggestions or heads up for having things go smooth? 

He's 5 lbs now....12 weeks old.   Started some fear/territory stuff already.

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I think it depends on your PPS leader, mine was a vet nurse at my vets and she was really good about letting them play All. The. Time. lol! My las dog went to a much more formal one.

They usually run a pretty tight ship at these places so I'd just be guided by the leader. Akira was a little shy at first but by his third session he was taking over the joint and last night he was the exploration ringleader of a group of three including a vizla and a mastiff x great dane last night lol!

Just breathe, relax and have fun! :)

Florrie

Florrie

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

I took mine to Petco at 6 months- all went well till a puppy twice his size tried to play with him- scared him silly- he's hated black dogs ever since---I think each puppy is different---mine is more comfortable with pups close to own size; went to the dog park one time only- couldn't get him out of the car after that (there was a black dog there)---that was about 2years ago and he hasn't changed--I let him decide who he's comfortable with and don't push it.  I have clothes I put away in case we get another baby so I know they are expensive to keep buying. I think I'd like to start custom making my own this fall

killerleaf

killerleaf

Max weighs 14 1/2 pounds.  He hit his weight and height at about a year old, but his chest measurements have changed as he has gotten older; he is broader now.  not by much, but enough that the he has had to have some new jammies and tshirts.  (he will be eight in October!!!)

beware, for beyond there be dragons

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Okay guys... Akira is in for desexing today so we weighed him at the vet's...are we all sitting down? Bearing in mind he is FIVE months ols...he's 7kg which is 14.4lbs according to google convert lol! OMG! If he is going to grow for another four months he'll have to apply to be reclassified as a Xolo lol! :P

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Lol! That's 15.4 lbs apparently!

1crestie

1crestie
  • LocationSo. California
Oh my! He is a big guy in the making! Sending healing thoughts post-surgery

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

My Gizmo is 10.5kg (23 lbs!) with a 20 inch topline. I am not sure how tall he is. We had him when he was 9 months and he definitely grew a bit, as he doesn't fit in the clothes he had when we first got him. (and he isn't fat, just a big boy  :wink: )

Fidget is 5 kg (11 lbs) and was 5 when we got her so I don't know when she stopped growing.

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

10.5 kgs! :ohmy: That's huge! I'd love to know how tall Gizmo is- I'm living in fear of Akira going over the 35cm cut off for small dog agility division at the moment. Being up against a ring full of borders will be no fun at all. If he has another 4 months of growth n him though...I might have to get used to the idea!

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

If I can get him to stand still enough later I will measure him and let you know!

• LunaFancy likes this

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

mine stopped growing at 6 ish month might have been slightly earlier. but defo didnt grow any in height after then obv they will broaden post this and get a little chestier perhaps.

A lot of the american dogs seem to be of another type? like smaller than the european ones.

jacks dad is similar to jack id say (been a long time) and his mum is tiny. cant imagine any smaller than her.

Jack currently with a few extra neuter grams on him weighs in at 6.7 kg ish. before neuter at 6kg. tho kg as such wont tell you much as huge variations even in similar sized dogs. with my poor measuring skills jack is approx from shoulder blades to start of tail 38 cm and shoulder blade to floow 34 ish (that one was trickier) chest 46 cm. and dont worry about the clothing standard shop bought clothes dont fit cresteds very well due to their built (i tend to say normal dog shrunken in size, unlike other small with longer backs, shorter legs)

Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LunaFancy

LunaFancy

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I managed to do another height measurement today- 35cm at the wither. The good  news is the agility height divisions are  a bit more geneorous than I thought. Mini classes are for dogs up to 40cm, and I seriously doubt he'll gain another 5cm :) Phew! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users