Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My 3 Month Old Bites

- - - - - bite crested chinese crested powderpuff training

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

somervillearron

somervillearron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

hi

i bought my powderpuff girl from my auntie at 8 weeks old she is now 3 months,she is great! beautifull coat she will let you do anything with her like cutting nails etc.

she walks good on her lead and really altoghether she is great! my only issue is with biting she does not do it agressivly she does it trying to play and it is not often she does it either just when getting really exited. i am looking on a way of stopping this happening i have no other issues with her at all apart from this.

when my dad comes to the house she tends to bite him more than anyone else i think this is because when she is exited he puts his hand out and does not clap her so basically inviting her to use his hand as a play toy!.

when you tell her no she wont stop you have to take your hand away,another thing that can be a issue is when in the garden there are sometimes kids across the fence and when she can hear them no matter what i do i cant get her to come in the house i have started letting her out for the toilet during the day on a extending leash my reason for this is because she may get hurt if i dont notice her going through the fence to the kids one day so i am just not taking the chance.

also i was wondering the best way to stop her bothering me? just sometimes when i am doing something she cant be near me for i tell her to lie down she usually does but sometimes she will stare and cry then get louder then bark before eventually going away,i am trying to use positive reinforcement but i am usure if i am taking it to literally because i generally dont shout at her but sometimes being able to shout would help.

any problems i have happen very rarely and i understand she is a puppy and is just learning

Attached Files

handsome's mom

handsome's mom

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Part of her problem is she could be teething and the other part is she is a puppy. All kidding aside it can be very annoying and worrisome. I came up with a way to break mine of some bad habits. I took an empty can and put pennies in it. I sealed up the open end and we call it the bad can. I try to keep it near me all the time and when he's bad I take the bad can and shake it while telling him no! He hates the noise it makes and he's starting to associate it with bad behavior. Sometimes all I have to do is show it to him and sometimes all I have to do is say the word "bad can" and he behaves. There have also been times I use a spray bottle and say no while I spray him. Both methods have worked in the past.

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

You can also do what the mum and siblings would do which is when he bites squeal very high pitched and loud and move away from him. Ignore him completely for a few minutes.

When he was with his mum and other pups that would signal the end of the game and they soon learn to control their mouthing.

Ups N Downs

Ups N Downs
  • LocationThe epicenter of Crush

She is still a puppy at 3 months, so this is play behavior.  I would always have toys on hand to redirect her attention to the toys and do not allow anyone to use their hand as a play toy.  When she directs her attention from the hand to the toy make a big deal out of it, praise and tugging are good.  Toys need to become more desirable to her than hands/ or play biting at people. 

Ups N Downs

Ups N Downs
  • LocationThe epicenter of Crush

As for her "bothering you" I would use a crate.  She is a puppy and wants to always be near you, but she needs to learn to self soothe when she can't be near you.  Make sure she is good and tired before you crate her and give her a kong or other interactive toy to help her in the crate.  This will help with crating her.  

somervillearron

somervillearron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

hi

thanks for the replies they where very helpfull,i have managed to keep her from biting as much but i now have a new issue!

when she is not with me all the time she is chewing her feet! and really making a mess of them too,she has plenty of toys and i dont ever leave her for long i noticed she only does it when she is being left in the house alone but it is worrying me and also she is making a mess of her fur on the feet

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bite, crested, chinese crested, powderpuff, training

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users