Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Overweight

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Calilowrisex

Calilowrisex

Canine Good Citizen

• Members
  • 571 posts

So Liberty is a bit overweight, probably about 2 pounds. The vet said to put her on a weight control food, so I did that. It seemed to be helping but now it seems she is just chunky again. I only feed her 1/2 a day, anything else I can do?? I don't want her to be unhealthy!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image Posted Image Sarah & puppies Rex & Liberty-Dogs are not our whole life,but they make our lives whole.

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

How much exercise is she getting?

[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
Blue buffalo longevity is really good for long term weight maintnance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***MEGAN***

1crestie

1crestie
  • LocationSo. California
Mine all slimmed down when I started feeding grain free. They do get a fair amount of exercise too, but I think the grain free really makes a difference.
th_4b6276a97557c5a26524fd77469d8d98.jpg th_852190459f1f55b51db28b5a702bcf00.jpg th_fd4ac1abdbffdffdcbd75577bb1b2d9c.jpg

So California Crest-Care Rep Dog, n. A subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the worlds worship.-Ambrose Bierce

Calilowrisex

Calilowrisex

Canine Good Citizen

• Members
  • 571 posts

It's been so cold here and we have so much snow, it's snowing again right now. They only got outside to pee quick and then come back in. The warmer months they are outside a lot. I will try grain free!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image Posted Image Sarah & puppies Rex & Liberty-Dogs are not our whole life,but they make our lives whole.

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Eva tends to put pounds on easy...  I feed raw but have a bad habit of over feeding...  I've been good about giving the right portions and she is at a good weight now :)  It's stupidly snowy here too so next to no exercise outside.  I play ball with them down the hall, we do our scent detection homework each night and both my nakeds are in Rally-O classes so we get to the training hall once or twice a week for some exercise.  Maybe enroll in some training over the winter? Look for an indoor doggy play area?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Got Crested, Got Xolo, Go Naked!

snortlepup

snortlepup
  • LocationChicago, IL

How much does she weigh? Vespa is 12 lbs and gets a total of a 1/2 cup a day but she is very active. What I've done with my JRT mix when he got too sausagey was cut back on the amount of food (Not a huge amount but enough off each meal) but I added water to it and waited until it was bloated so that he felt like he was eating the same amount. Also exercised him more, which was hard because he's lazy. With Vespa I just touch a ball and she goes nuts. 

Crazy hair

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart."

ztMwm6.png

Calilowrisex

Calilowrisex

Canine Good Citizen

• Members
  • 571 posts

She's about 12 or 13lbs but she should weight about 10lbs. She doesn't any toys but stuffed toys. She actually attacks Rex when he plays with his ball. I guess I could just switch to grain free and see what happens? They run around the house and what not and I play fetch with her and her stuffed pig that she loves. When she was a puppy she wasn't fat at all, didn't happen until after she was a year or so old. She's 2 years old now. Rex is 16lbs but he's also very tall and long, he's bigger crestie. I just want her to be healthy. They both get fed the same so I don't understand it at all.

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

I think she should be eating much less than Rex.  If she should weigh 10 pounds and he 16 then you have to adjust her amount smaller.  I know on the kibble I feed it gives me a range of what to feed and I have to keep to the smaller amount of the range to keep Chanelly healthy.  I would try taking away 1/3 of Liberty's amount and see if that makes a difference.

[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

snortlepup

snortlepup
  • LocationChicago, IL

I agree with My Crestie. They should definitely not be eating the same amount.
Also in the winter, dogs seem to put on more weight naturally. Try the switch to grain free, see if it helps and also feed her the lowest amount they give you on the bag. 

Crazy hair

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart."

ztMwm6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users