Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hairless Vs. Powderpuff Differences

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

melancholyway

melancholyway

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

My husband and I have had our powderpuff girl for almost one year now and we are completely in love with her gentle loving cuddly personality. We have been discussing the possibility of adopting a hairless cc in the future. We were attending a puppy play group with our puff and met a cc breeder who was socializing her puppy. We were talking with her about the breed and mentioned that we might want to adopt a hairless in the future and she was very discouraging. She said that they are very different from the puffs, that they are very hyper, high energy, independent, and nippy. 

I know that there are a lot of hairless parents in this forum. What have been your experiences? Do you find the hairless are hyper loners? It seems strange that that would be true since they are the same dog? We are completely in love with the breed and I LOVE the look of the hairless. I would love to add another cuddly cc baby to our family in the future. 

PrincessFifi

PrincessFifi
  • LocationWest Texas

That breeder is a moron!!!! I disagree 100% with whoever this so called breeder is! My hairless pups are very clingy! They want to be with me all the time, barely let out of their sight! They do like to play but not anymore than any other dog or puppy. Mine are mostly lazy and want to snuggle with me all day :) They don't know a strange and have never bit anyone for any reason! We do play a game called, "the barking had" and I make my hand bark at them and they try to bark back at it and nip at it, never bite though, just a playful nip where they barely let their teeth touch you. I wouldn't listen to them, and Im surprised that a breeder would discourage you for a breed they are breeding themselves, sounds kind of weird if you ask me....

When you decide to add another pup to your family I would just meet them and you will obviously see how their personalities are :) Good luck!

• Kimm and melancholyway like this

CraftyGirl

CraftyGirl
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

My hairless is a rescue that we got when she was roughly 1 year of age.  She is super chill and relaxed. Would love nothing more than to cuddle all day, but is also up for long walks and rough playing and wrestling with her poodle brother.  She's like the best of both worlds because she is very athletic and yet also doesn't go crazy if we are cooped up in the house for a few days and don't get much exercise.  I wouldn't necessarily call her clingy because she doesn't always follow me from room to room like my poodle does, but at the same time she is still very attached to us.  Even though she is a rescue and is still totally terrified in some situations, she has NEVER nipped. She truly has a heart of gold!

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

total opposite of what i have heard. puffs i have heard are less clingy and more normal dog like, perhaps as more fur so get hot and lay on floor more who knows. most cresties i have met puff or hl are very loving and clingy.

then i got jack... who is soooo not breed standards personality wise. he is a very very hairy hairless :P not that that has anything to do with it. and he is sooo independent, stubborn and will only do things to please himself never want to please me :p more under duvet when more naked as feeling the cold more than when has hair on body only diff can tell.

so basically. cresties puff and hairless are supposed to cling on to their owners but then you got individual differences doubt very much that this is based on hair amount but rather their personalities and obviously there will be gender differences. not sure on what these are specifically in cresties as i only have one boy... think my breeder once told me that boys are more loyal than girls and cling more to favourite person than girls (not sure if got this the right way around though?) however, mine couldnt care less about me on a day to day basis when im home but as soon as go home to see my mum or my friend is over for a while he will constantly sit on their lap or beg for cuddles so my lad is not so loyal :P

as for nervousness im not sure about this either. know both puffs and hl being nervous and aggressive this would be more down to genetics so make sure pick a pup from sound parents. esp the mother in all aspects as they live with her for at least 8 weeks and pick up a lot from her. even fear of fireworks can be picked up at this age from observing scared mothers, and barking as well.

• Laura likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

melancholyway

melancholyway

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

That breeder is a moron!!!! I disagree 100% with whoever this so called breeder is! My hairless pups are very clingy! They want to be with me all the time, barely let out of their sight! They do like to play but not anymore than any other dog or puppy. Mine are mostly lazy and want to snuggle with me all day :) They don't know a strange and have never bit anyone for any reason! We do play a game called, "the barking had" and I make my hand bark at them and they try to bark back at it and nip at it, never bite though, just a playful nip where they barely let their teeth touch you. I wouldn't listen to them, and Im surprised that a breeder would discourage you for a breed they are breeding themselves, sounds kind of weird if you ask me....

When you decide to add another pup to your family I would just meet them and you will obviously see how their personalities are :) Good luck!

Thank you! I thought that was quite an odd thing to say. I couldn't imagine why a puff would be so different in personalty from a hairless when they are from the same parents. I will steer clear of her puppies in the future. We are thinking of rescuing one anyway. 

melancholyway

melancholyway

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

My hairless is a rescue that we got when she was roughly 1 year of age.  She is super chill and relaxed. Would love nothing more than to cuddle all day, but is also up for long walks and rough playing and wrestling with her poodle brother.  She's like the best of both worlds because she is very athletic and yet also doesn't go crazy if we are cooped up in the house for a few days and don't get much exercise.  I wouldn't necessarily call her clingy because she doesn't always follow me from room to room like my poodle does, but at the same time she is still very attached to us.  Even though she is a rescue and is still totally terrified in some situations, she has NEVER nipped. She truly has a heart of gold!

This is what my puff is like. She has such a sweet personality and LOVES to cuddle. I suppose if I adopted a rescue I would have a better idea of their personality. 

total opposite of what i have heard. puffs i have heard are less clingy and more normal dog like, perhaps as more fur so get hot and lay on floor more who knows. most cresties i have met puff or hl are very loving and clingy.

then i got jack... who is soooo not breed standards personality wise. he is a very very hairy hairless :P not that that has anything to do with it. and he is sooo independent, stubborn and will only do things to please himself never want to please me :p more under duvet when more naked as feeling the cold more than when has hair on body only diff can tell.

so basically. cresties puff and hairless are supposed to cling on to their owners but then you got individual differences doubt very much that this is based on hair amount but rather their personalities and obviously there will be gender differences. not sure on what these are specifically in cresties as i only have one boy... think my breeder once told me that boys are more loyal than girls and cling more to favourite person than girls (not sure if got this the right way around though?) however, mine couldnt care less about me on a day to day basis when im home but as soon as go home to see my mum or my friend is over for a while he will constantly sit on their lap or beg for cuddles so my lad is not so loyal :P

as for nervousness im not sure about this either. know both puffs and hl being nervous and aggressive this would be more down to genetics so make sure pick a pup from sound parents. esp the mother in all aspects as they live with her for at least 8 weeks and pick up a lot from her. even fear of fireworks can be picked up at this age from observing scared mothers, and barking as well.

Interesting. I suppose that it makes sense that the puppies would learn so much from their mom :)

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

My experience has been that my hairless are, in general, little cuddle bugs, whereas the puffs are more aloof.  I think it has to do with the hairless wanting to be warm.  My puff boy, Logan, is very sweet in his personality but he doesn't really like to be held.  All that said, they have very different individual personalities and I don't think you can be guaranteed a personality-type by choosing between the amount of fur.  

If life hands you melons, you're probably dyslexic. http://www.facebook....ethelovemuffin/http://www.louiethelovemuffin.com/LaxPi.gif

porterk

porterk
  • LocationMichigan

Oh my, I have one of each and my puff is the one who acts like he has ADHD - he's the hyper little bug who always wants to go outside and look for mischief - he's my little goofball. My HHL, on the other hand, is very quiet and never gets into trouble. They are just like two human brother, they each have their own personalities. While they've been brought up in the same household since they were young pups, they've turned out completely the opposite (just like my human children). So I really don't think it has to do with one being a Puff and the other being a HHL, I think they are just being themselves - an older and a younger brother.

Good luck in your decision!

• Laura likes this

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

i think it's all individual. My puff girls are a bit aloof, Pixie sometimes wants to be held, and most of the time she wants to be left alone. Polly is just fine to be left alone. i have met nakeds that were very friendly, and some that were shy. 

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

My hairless loves snuggling.  She still plays like a puppy at age 5, but is also very chill when not playing. You will find her napping in a sun puddle all day.  And she loves kids and men.

She does not like big dogs, but that has nothing to do with whether she has hair or not.

I have gone to meet ups in Chicago and the puffs I have met are love bugs too.  I think that person does not know what they are talking about. 

[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts

Obviously, this *breeder* doesn't know her breed very well.  lol

I certainly wouldn't get one from her.  It kills me how people will generalize like that.  Oh  and pitbulls are all vile evil killer dogs.  (just kidding of course!)

“My dog, she looks at me sometimes with that look, and I think maybe deep down inside she must know exactly how I feel. But then maybe she just wants the food off my plate.”Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://www.chinesecr...line=1340394355https://www.facebook...mouseinthehouse

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts

You definitely can't fit them all into one kind of box. But this breeder definitely doesn't know what she is talking about or she has some dogs with some very poor temperments......  The hairless tend to be more Velcro dogs and more of a one person type personality. I have known very few hls over the year that I would call "independent" but have known quite a few puffs. I do think the puffs tend to be more laid back, but that does't mean they all are.

Just because someone calls themselves a breeder, definitely doesn't mean they have breed knowledge....... ugh

• Laura and Crested Mom of 3 like this

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~www.klearlychinesecresteds.350.com~*~~~~~*~~~~~*
P1010049-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users