Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lepto Vaccine For Travel?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

I'm looking for some input from those who have given their dog (Crested or Xolo breed specificlly) the Lestospirosis.  Good or bad experience.

I've taken a very, very minimal approach to vaccines etc with my dogs.  Eva is now 2.5yrs, had her puppy boosters (DHPP) and one Rabies vaccine, no bordetella, no lepto...  Mr. Reese came in to rescue at 5mos, no vaccine history known.  He got his Rabies vaccine and nothing more, he too is now 2.5yr.  They are fed raw, no veggies, the odd time I cave and they get 'junk food' as in "not raw" biscuits, erm the odd timbit...  They get veggies, rice or pasta if we have made too much, maybe once a month if that, it is not part of their regular diet...

Eva is healthy aside from possibly failing eye sight :(  Reese has environmental allergies.  Both were titer tested and due for DHPP again according to VacciCheck in house titer tests.

I REALLY want to take them to Costa Rica with us this year when we go down for two weeks.  I'm not worried about accommodations, feeding raw while away, traveling on plane...  I am sad about having to vaccinate them again, but DHPP titers show they are due so I can accept that, Rabies by law here is every 3yrs and I can deal with that (but likely won't vaccinate again for another 5yrs as per new research).  I'm VERY VERY very worried about having to vaccinate them for Lepto.  If we weren't traveling I wouldn't be considering but it is required by Costa Rica for them to travel there with us :(

Leave home with my great boarder, tech at the vet clinic, no worries about their care with her...or do I vaccinate them and bring them is where I am at.

Any feed back regarding the Lepto vaccine you've given to your CC or Xolo is appreciated.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Got Crested, Got Xolo, Go Naked!

RICKYSmomma

RICKYSmomma

RICKYSmomma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I would double check their titres for DHPP by sending it to a lab instead of the in house version. We did the in house version with Ricky last year and it showed he was due and I was somewhat skeptical so I sent a blood sample to the lab and it came back as still protected for all. The pathologists at the lab said there is a lot of room for error with the in house testing. This might make your decision easier for the lepto if they are actually still covered and would only need lepto instead of updating things as well

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts
The need proof of vacc., titers won't cut it for cross border travel :(

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Stollsilver

Stollsilver

Rudy had the lepto vax one time, 7 years ago, and he had a reaction to it.  Broke out in hives and the injection site swelled and turned bright red.

I didn't and won't give it again.  

Here's an interesting article

http://www.dogsnatur...irosis-vaccine/

Rudy, Abby & Poco (running free 5/30/12)Posted Image

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

I've been reading the articles and on other dog forums, so I am doing my research :D  I will read that article in a moment, thank you Stollsilver.

I worry because when the vaccine was 'new' 10+yrs ago, give or take, the vet we were using at the time (sit down for this) advised that we NOT give it.  He said the dogs were having terrible reactions to it, a 100lb dog in particular very recently went in to terrible shock after the vaccine, lucky they were still at the clinic but it needed fluids, meds etc.  The vet said they carry a few viles but don't vaccinate their own pets and don't suggest clients give it to their pets either.  He noted that it's not even the correct strain in the vaccine for the strain(s) that were local to us...  Since then that stuck in my mind and I've never even considered giving it.  I've even now read dogs go in to Anaphylaxis (I think I've got it right) after the vaccine and some are so bad they need blood transfusions!

Just looked at that article...I read some of that one but was distracted by another article I clicked on...I will read it all.  I like Dogs Naturally and I am on their FB page and mailing list :)

So thing is though...If I want to bring them, they need the vaccine...They need DHPP, Rabies and Lepto in order to enter the country... 

Am I being terribly selfish wanting them to come along?  No vaccines means no travel.

My dogs are my kids.  I just get stressed and worry about them about 4 days in to our trips.  I had an 'ok' vacation at Xmas but spent a lot of time thinking about how I'd be more relaxed if they were there with me.  I emailed or FBooked daily checking on them....  Yea, I'm that attached to them :P 

Eva did fine and even enjoys visiting the sitter when I go for coffee.  Reese isn't so great away from mom...he's finicky eating, he only follows her, he's doesn't play or interact with Eva or the other dog there whom he is very familiar with.  He just hides in the corner some where if he can't sit right on the sitter.  Even when we visit and I am with him he just picks a corner and sits in it, shies away from everyone, he's under my feet if I move... 

We are getting married and my family triggers a lot of 'stuff' - not going in to extensive depressing detail...  My dogs really keep my stress, depression and 'moods' at bay.  I think they'd love the warm weather and playing on the beach.  I don't care if it's 'extra work' having them along.  Everyone says leave them behind and go enjoy time away...  I don't enjoy my time away, I worry about them and think about them more than I relax or enjoy my time away.  It's not a burden to me to have my dogs there, it's a huge comfort for my over thinking, and stupid anxiety and stresses that creep up :-/  I am sure that at least Reese would be happier traveling with us than not.  But I couldn't ditch Eva and just bring Reese :P

So is it being selfish bringing them?  I can't decide or tell if I am seriously risking their health or not by getting vaccines, mainly lepto, just so they can come.  I'm feeling like it's 6 and one half dozen of the other whether i leave them or bring them...

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts

In Ohio, Lepto is very prevalent and all my dogs have had the vaccines.  Never had a reaction in any of them.  

“My dog, she looks at me sometimes with that look, and I think maybe deep down inside she must know exactly how I feel. But then maybe she just wants the food off my plate.”Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://www.chinesecr...line=1340394355https://www.facebook...mouseinthehouse

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

lepto is given yearly in europe in the booster vaccine, only seperate vaccine is kennel cough i believe. no problems here either, jack be due his booster shortly too in early march time (i dont titer test obv). as already mentioned above for crossing borders they dont care about titer testing etc need the stamp to show have received their vaccines and rabies so best make sure all up to date when travel even if means over vaccinating. dont want these cresties in quarantine, wouldnt cope too well in there, my worst fear when i travel lol. even when know i got it all :p

sound like a grand holiday though :) enjoy :)

Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,088 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Only one of my cresteds has ever been given the lepto vaccine, and that was by accident, as it's not something that needs to be given where I live. Ruby did experience anaphylaxis, and it scared the crap out of me!! 

If you must give it, then I would say to leave them with your vet for the day, after they have been vaccinated. That way, if one of them should have a reaction, the vet can address it straightaway.

What scared me the most, was that Ruby was vaccinated at about 11AM, and it wasn't until almost 2PM, when she began to react to it. The reaction came on quickly, and all I can say is thankfully, we only lived about 2 miles from the vet. They took her right to the back, and started treatment, while I cried my eyes out in the waiting room. She was just fine, about 45 minutes later..... but what if I had gone out to run errands after her vaccinations, and wasn't home when it happened? I would have come home to a dead dog. I had never experienced anything like this, with ANY dog I have ever had, after being vaccinated. Now when one of my dogs has a vaccine, I am sure to be home with them for the rest of the day.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

We will be going for two weeks.  If left behind they would be in good hands, I know Reese won't be thrilled and I will be even less thrilled.  But I'd be mortified if I got the shot and they got lymphoma or had a bad reaction or worse - died.  And none of those reactions seem uncommon...

The more I read the more I feel selfish about vaccinating them for letpto so they can come along.  Seems reactions are common in at least Cresteds.  Seems from what I read, the vaccination doesn't tend to cover most strains, seems that it really isn't that common even in the states where is considered "common".  Reactions never seem to be just minor, anything from hives and swelling, pussy wounds to anaphylaxis or worse stuff like lymphoma and other horrible reactions, many result in poor recovery and eventually euthanasia :(

I only had to read about half of this article http://www.dogsnatur...irosis-vaccine/ to feel like it's a pointless vaccination.

I'm sadly coming to the conclusion that it might be really selfish to get them vaccinated for something so useless with a highly potentially lethal reaction to vaccine just so I can have them there :(

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,088 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Wow. That's one frightening article. I think I would probably leave my dogs home, as well.   :sad:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
Armani had the lepto vaccine once as a puppy bc I didnt know better yet but he was fine and had no reaction. I dont think I would want to take my dogs out of the country.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***MEGAN***

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA

I am in a bit of a hurry so I am not sure if someone already posted this. I just read this and remembered that someone was asking about Lepto

http://www.2ndchance...onesize4all.htm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Left to right, back,) ( cousin) Chester, Rocco, Jay Jay,(front) Bonnie, Vinny and Sophie!Posted Image

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Thanks everyone, I've read the articles and frankly it scares the crap out of me.  I called both the CR and Canadian Food Inspection Agency to see if they haaaad to have it or if there was a way around it but looks like it's mandatory.  I've decided they should stay home :( it's not worth the risk.  I can hardly believe how unnecessary the vaccine is and how many are dooped in to it.  SCary scary stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users