Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First Time Owner Questions About Rufio

- - - - - chinese crested short hair large size normal

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

cinematic_kiwi

cinematic_kiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So I got my first CC in October. I have always had large dogs before this so this is my first time caring for a small dog (I always thought they were snooty, snippy, loud ankle biters from my experience working in a pet store).  I did a lot of research before I got him. After having him for 3 months (he was 2-3 months old when I got him) I have some questions that I can't find the answers to on the internet and I don't trust his breeder to answer me truthfully (since she has her reputation to uphold).  I was hoping a community could help me since you guys have years of experience :3

1.  His hair on top of his head is only 2 inches long.  I did cut a little bit of it off when I first got him (his breeder had dyed his hair neon pink and I got tired of people calling him a girl), but does their hair just grow very, very slowly or is he never going to have a long, flowing mane? His breeder told me that he is considered a "Hollywood" Crested which I doubted at the time and still kinda doubt but I could be wrong. My Google-Fu has yielded no results.

2.  When I looked up the breed standard to see their size and weight (He was looking very, very skinny after I switched his food to a grain free and I was worried about him) they had normal Chinese Cresteds listed as up to 13" tall at the shoulders and 12lbs as the highest healthy weight. I measured him and he is 16" tall at 14.4lbs. He does have a waist from above and looks very greyhound-ish but compared to the internet's breed standards he is huge!!! Does anyone have any experience with getting an overly large CC?

3.  His ears look ENORMOUS compared to all the other photos I have seen on the internet.  Is it because he is still a puppy at 6 months and hasn't yet grown into them (which, concerning the above question, would be slightly worrying) or are their ears, minus the hair, just Big-McLarge-Huge?

Picture for reference

Rufio

Attached File  Rufio.jpg   13.17KB   8 downloads

The lighting is bad so it's hard to tell his color. He has apricot skin and bright red hair.

I trim his face around the eyes every months or so but otherwise he is all natural in this shot.

He's extra nekkid ;3

I would like to stud him out later in life in exchange for first pick of the litter (I would love to have another crestie!) but if his genetics are less than ideal and he's a freak of the crestie world then I will just have him neutered so as to not be filling the world with sub-par cresties.

Thank you guys for your time helping me out! Other than these questions he is, by far, the best dog I have ever had the pleasure of owning.  He is incredibly smart (11 tricks and counting!), sweet as can be to everyone (A little bit timid to strangers but would die before he bit anyone), the quietest little dog I have ever met (He makes no noises at all. He's quieter than my cats!), and just cuddly as anything. 

• sallysmom likes this

sallysmom

sallysmom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
I just wanna say he is adorable!!!!! He reminds me of an italian greyhound crested mix i seen before. I wanna squeeze him!!
  • 1crestie likes this

cinematic_kiwi

cinematic_kiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I know!  He's just so CUTE!!!

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts

Yes... he's absolutely adorable.  But NO!  PLEASE don't just 'stud him out'.  please please no.  Unless you are planning on showing him and getting him tested for eyes, hips, etc. then neuter him soon.  

This forum was created to educate people new to the breed and to help each other out when issues arise with our ccs.  But breeding them is best left to the experts who put their whole efforts (not to mention money) into bettering the breed and to keep the cc as they were meant to be.  Not mixed with other breeds.

He does look as tho he has some other breed in his lines.. one with heavier ears (maybe poodle?).  Chances are his 'breeder' isn't in it for bettering the breed.  Does she show her dogs?  Or test them for inherited illnesses??  

We try very hard to steer someone away from just breeding because they think their dog is cute or has a great personality.  Breeding is way more than that.  Unless you know the entire line of dogs that your particular pup came from, then it's a crap shoot what the pups would be or even look like.  

We have fairly strict rules spelled out in our section here:  http://www.chinesecr...read-the-rules/

Please look them over.  

As for some of your questions.. no, his ears won't stand unless they're taped (we have  section on how to do that under grooming) but if they're as thick as they look, I'm not sure it will take.  At 6 months old, his hair should be starting to get a bit longer.  Cresteds are such a unique breed that not all are the same as far as hair growth or length.  He may very well have all the hair he's to have.  Or it may grow some.  It's fun to wait and see.

We have many members with overly large cresties.  They aren't the standard (for breeding or showing) but are no less loveable.  He's pretty large if he's that tall at 6 months.  Also..

there is NO such thing as a 'Hollywood' crestie.  LOL  

• porterk, Orsi&Lovely and CraftyGirl like this
“My dog, she looks at me sometimes with that look, and I think maybe deep down inside she must know exactly how I feel. But then maybe she just wants the food off my plate.”Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://www.chinesecr...line=1340394355https://www.facebook...mouseinthehouse

Addy's Mom

Addy's Mom

Best In Show

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
He's a cute boy, but...

Those ears,in addition to being too large, really do look like poodle ears, minus the hair. I really have to suspect he's a poodle-crested mix.

The good news is that you should have a really wonderful companion.

The bad news is that if you studded him out, you couldn't really even have confidence he's a purebred Crested, much less what genetic time bombs he might be passing on. :(

Enjoy the wonderful boy that Rufio is and will be. Take lots ts of pictures so we can enjoy him with you. But have him neutered.

Lis
  • porterk, poodlemom and CraftyGirl like this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts

There is no such thing as a "Hollywood" crested. There is one kind of crested, and that is a Chinese crested as defined by the AKC standard in this country. If someone sold you something marketed as some "special" kind of crested then I can say with 100% certainty that that person is not a reputable breeder. Do you have the pedigree for your crested? Is it registered with AKC? Judging from the picture I would bet my house that he is a mix. I am sorry that you were taken in by a less than scrupulous breeder. This is why there needs to be more education on what to look for in a good breeder! Good breeders health test their dogs for genetic diseases, not just take them to the vet for shots. In our breed the main things are getting a yearly eye CERF on breeding dogs, making sure they are PLL and PRA clear (which is done through a blood test) That way these terrible eye diseases are not being spread to the next generation. Good breeders work with strong, known peidgrees and show their dogs in conformation events to show that they are good breeding stock. They sell their dogs on spay/neuter contracts so that people are not buying their dogs and just breeding them to make more dogs. Good breeders always take back their puppies so that they never end up in shelters or rescues. It is A LOT of work and money to be a REPUTABLE breeder and most people would rather just put a couple dogs together and sell them for as much as they can get not caring what issues they might be breeding into those puppies. I can promise you if someone is breeding the right way they are not making money off their puppies and they certainly aren't trying to con someone into buying a puppy by calling it a "Hollywood" crested. Whatever the heck that is supposed to mean.

As for studding your dog out. Just love him as a pet and get him fixed. There are too many dogs in shelters and rescues that need homes. Please leave the breeding to the people who are trying to improve the breed and are willing to health test and show their dogs before breeding them. Congrats on your new addition! Love him and enjoy him because he is a great little guy and will be a great pet, no need for any more expectations than that!

• Ups N Downs, ann, GrandCynth and 3 others like this

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~www.klearlychinesecresteds.350.com~*~~~~~*~~~~~*
P1010049-1.jpg

cinematic_kiwi

cinematic_kiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

OK, I'll get him neutered. I won't fight it :)

He did come with a pedigree and supposedly he did come from championship lines but since this is my first purebred I'm still figuring out the papers thing with the AKC. The pedigree is just a photocopy of one for all the puppies (or she copied someone else's papers). She did say that the parents and most of the other puppies were tested but that she didn't with him because his coloration was "ugly" (she was also selling him cheaper because his hair was shorter than the other ones and she said red-heads with apricot skin aren't popular. But when I met with the puppies he chose me and I fell in love).  She seemed to be breeding for dark skin and white hair from what I saw of the other pups and the parents so who knows if this is true?  Also, she did request that if for any reason I did not want him anymore or couldn't take care of him anymore that she would be more than happy to take him back. She even offered to pet sit if we had to go out of town for free (just to make sure he wouldn't get sick).  So, I tried to find a good breeder :)

She didn't advertise them as "Hollywood" cresteds. When I asked her about his short hair instead of the long flowing manes I usually see she said that short haired Cresties are the ones you see in movies and are known as "Hollywood"s.  Supposedly a "Hollywood" crested is a crested with a small amount of hair on top of the head (and sometimes short hair) but I had my doubts and I'm glad you guys agree with me.

I was actually looking into showing him once he got a bit older (and his ears stood), but I didn't want to waste my time if he wasn't going to win anything since he seemed to be getting pretty big (hence, the questions above). I am just trying to figure out this showdog thing as a newbie :P.  I figured if he would'nt win anything in the show ring then I'd put him in for agility.  He's fast as lightning and has some pretty impressive gymnastics skills.  Whether or not he's 100% crestie I'll still try the agility thing since he has so much fun with it.

I may agree that we looks like he has something else in the lines (which would explain why he looks a little off from the others pictures I've seen). He looked a bit more like a standard puppy when I first got him.

My vets' office here doesn't know anything about cresteds (I am sorta in the middle of nowhere here) so do you guys have any tips on what tests I should have run on him just to make sure he's healthy and safe?

Also (and I am so going off topic here), is it true that rabies shots are no-nos for Chinese Cresteds? I have seen a few places online where they say that the breed is sensitive to them and I am totally willing to skip it, since he's under constant supervision.  My vet had no idea.

Thank you guys for your time and responses, I'm learning much more here than I did roaming the internet.

• ann likes this

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
He is adorable but like others have stated he does look likely to be a mix. That doesnt at all devalue him but PLEASE do NOT breed him, regardless of if he's full blooded or not he does NOT come from a good background and our breed is proned to several health issues that dont need to be reinforced even more by poor breeding. I think Chelsey really said it best. Just love your new baby for the pet that he is and not a stud dog.
  • ann likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***MEGAN***

porterk

porterk
  • LocationMichigan
Hi and welcome to Crush! Rufio sure is handsome, and I'm glad to hear that you've decided to neuter him. As for the rabies vaccine, as well as others, you may just need to keep watch for reactions the first time they are given. My boys don't do well with vaccines, but we don't skip them, we pretreat prior to giving them (and that seems to work). I'm glad to hear he's such a good companion. I look forward too seeing more pictures.

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts

I have some serious doubts about the breeder, and that is not really your fault. Most people have no idea what to look for in a good breeder or even what questions they should be asking. She wouldn't be testing the puppy for anything (or not testing him because of his color) The parents should have been tested (again not just a vet check up) before they were bred for genetic diseases that could be passed onto puppies. Did she give you a blue and white 4 page paper to fill out and send into AKC to get him registered? I would be interested to see what she is calling "champion lines".... people see a couple Champions a few generations back and suddenly they are champion lines.... I am also beyond confused why she would be dying a young puppy.... Even if he is not AKC registered you can still get him a number to do events like agility if that is something that interests you.

Getting into showing a dog as a newbie is not the easiest thing in the world without a lot of homework and a good mentor. I had no idea what I was doing when I got my first show dog, but I had some awesome people who helped me learn a lot about showing and about the breed. If you are interested in a show dog a good breeder will evaluate the litter and have "pet" puppies and puppies they feel have show potential. If you are a newbie finding a person with a lot of show experience and is willing to take the time to help you learn is the most important thing. Usually there are handling classes you can attend and it is good socialization for puppies and a great non-threatening way to learn what will be expected of you at shows.

• ann likes this

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~www.klearlychinesecresteds.350.com~*~~~~~*~~~~~*
P1010049-1.jpg

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hello, and welcome to the group!

Rufio is a cutie pie, even if not all crested. We have quite a few members with hairless crested mixes. His skin will darken a lot, once he gets some sunshine! (and fade again, next winter) And don't be surprised if his crest changes colors, too. In his case, it may lighten up some. My Ruby had red hair as a puppy, and as she got older it faded to a blonde color, with a bit of strawberry blonde on the tips.

I think doing agility with him, will be a really fun thing for the both of you to enjoy! We have a number of members on the forum who do agility with their cresteds......it's a sport our breed can do well at.

As for your question about vaccines......the one vaccine to avoid, unless you live in an area where it's an issue, would be to forgo the Lepto vaccine. Lots of cresteds have bad reactions to that vaccine. I almost lost my eldest crested to a lepto vaccine, when she was young.

As far as Rabies? It's a law in every state, that all dogs must be vaccinated against it. Some states/counties will allow a medical exemption if you have a dog with a chronic illness/disease in which vaccinating against it, would be dangerous for the dog. If you are worried about your puppy having a reaction to his Rabies vaccine, you can leave him with the vet for several hours after the vaccine is given, so if he has a negative reaction, they will be able to handle it immediately. I've had cresteds for over 16 years, and have never had one who had a reaction to their rabies vaccine.

Can't wait to see more pics of your cute boy!

• ann likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your boy is adorable. I am one of those members with an huge crestie (Gizmo stands 19 ish (havn't measured that for a while) inches at the shoulder, has a 20 in back length and 23 in chest, and weighs in at 11 kg (about 23 lbs). He is a rescue, and we had him at 9 months from a young girl who was also told he was a pure crestie from championship lines. His furnishings, colour, ears and body shape all look crestie to me, but I feel there is something a little "off", maybe his nose is a tiny bit too short and fat, and the size thing. I am not convinced he is 100% crestie, if not one of his parents, maybe one of his grandparents was something else.

I echo what the others have said about neutering, but you have picked the best pet in the world IMO!

Q1 - some of the cresties, especially the true hairless as Rufio seems to be, do have short hair.

Q2 - see above, Gizmo is massive

Q3 - yes his ears are huge, and to me they don't look like crestie ears (sorry!)

All my dogs have had all the regular puppy vaccinations, and then the booster at 1 year, then we don't do them again for at least 5 years and get them tested for immunity first, HOWEVER, we are in the UK so don't have to worry about rabies. If I lived in a country where rabies was applicable I would certainly have the first lot, and then research the options from there on in. He may well be under constant supervision, but what if he did get lost? The last thing you want among all the trauma of a lost crestie is worring about them getting rabies. Or even if he were to get a scratch or a nip at a dog park or something, how do you know the other dog is OK. Us Brits are a bit paranoid about rabies because we don't have it here, but I really wouldn't want to take any risks.

• ann likes this

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.

Hi and welcome. Your little Rufio is gorgeous but my first thought on seeing him was he looks like an Italian Greyhound/Crestie, or Poodle/Crestie mix. I'm sorry to say your breeder probably doesn't need to protect her reputation. I doubt it's worth protecting. I get so mad when decent people, having done their best to find a good breeder, get ripped of by these money grabbers who care nothing about the welfare of the dogs they produce, and only the money they get from selling poor specimens and mixes. There is no such thing as a Hollywood Crestie, as already mentioned. That's one of her own inventions I'm afraid. The Cresties in films are True Hairless, the real way a Hairless should be, and not the beautiful, glamourous dogs with masses of furnishings seen in the show ring today. Your boy is not going to have those masses of furnishings, though his hair will grow longer probably as he matures. I'm glad you will have him neutered and enjoy him as a pet. Cresties do love to do agility and it's so much  fun too. If you decide later on to add a show Crestie to your home, then there is a section on Crush of good approved breeders you could go to for help  in getting what you are looking for. I have no doubt that Chelsey or one of the other good breeders on Crush would advise you if you PM'd them.  Of course we need to see lots more pics: of your gorgeous little boy.  

• Chelsey likes this

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace, Jimi Hendrix. All dogs go to Heaven, but some dogs live in Hell. Please don't support puppy farmers.

Galaxiegirl

Galaxiegirl

Rescue dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hello and welcome! Rufio is so handsome!
I am one of the members with crested mixes, both are rescues. Maisie is mixed with Boston and has almost no hair at all even on her head, it's short like a Boston. Hank is mixed with pug and has longish hair on his head but it never grows longer than about two inches. I got my two knowing they were mixes and love them. I do however echo the above opinions, both mine are altered. In addition to concerns with breed standards and health there are far too many unwanted dogs.
That being said Rufio sounds like a wonderful boy and a loving companion. You love him and he you, that's what counts! You will find so much information and support on this forum glad you found it and again Welcome!

Edited by Galaxiegirl, 03 February 2014 - 05:09 PM.

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Hi , and welcome...my Jakks is supposed to be a mix of doxie and crested......but he looks all crested . Your baby is soooo cute !!  As  far as vacs are concerned , we only get the rabies one , and only because it is the law . Jakks had all the puppy ones when we adopted him [ he was 3.5 years old ]  and according to many vet. authorities , immunity lasts for 5 to 15 years....so he should be good for life . We have had serious problems wth vaccines with previous dogs and are now very cautious. We have never had a problem with the rabies one....and Jakks gets the 3 year one , not every year. You are so fortunate to be owned by a crestie !!! Enjoy !!!

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC

I think he looks like a mix too but he is adorable. There are very tall cresties that pop up sometimes and as for his colouring I bet he is going to get nice and dark when he tans in the summer. my Suki's skin looks this colour now but as you can see with her picture she gets very dark in the summer when gets her tan on.

His hair on his head will grow it just seems so slow to grow in and then one day you notice Hey my dog has a crest.

I question the mix of poodle though because the poodle mixes on here seem to have more hair on their crests and legs and I would imagine it would grow in faster too but I could be wrong about this it is just my feeling.Other then his ears e looks very Crestie. He also looks very sweet.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of Rufio

DCP_2493-1.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~ Suki ~ ~ ~~

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life.

Richard Allan Palm

cinematic_kiwi

cinematic_kiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I called my vet to set an appointment for his rabies vaccine (but I asked that they keep him overnight in case anything goes wrong, just in case).  If all goes well overnight then he will be neutered the next day.  I don't really mind getting him fixed as he's starting to realize what all that stuff is for and the cats are a little horrified, lol.

My fiance and I have been going over plans for an agility "playground" to install in our side yard. I figure this way we can get him started here (since there are no agility clubs nearby) and see if he takes to it. If he's not great then we will at least have a "playground" for his insane sprints in the yard when we take him outside. If he's looking good then we can look into driving the few hours or so to the nearest club to see how well he performs at an actual event.

I've been looking online and I think (though it is highly speculative) that if he does have a mix in him he may be part italian greyhound just based on his odd run and lanky legs.  But, again, that's just my guess.  I may look into having his pedigree inspected just to see.  If it's a fake then I can do what I can on my forums to get the word out to other people about that particular breeder.

I like that it's up in the air about how long his hair will get :)

Either he will grow long, luscious strawberry blond locks or he will have a mohawk the rest of his life.  Either way he's going to be unique :)

I will end this comment with a big thanks to everyone for answering my questions and a picture of Rufio in a silly hat I made for him for the snow (since his ears got so cold they turned red).Attached File  roofie's hat.jpg   22.04KB   1 downloads

• porterk likes this

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

love the hat !!! HE SURE IS A CUTIE !

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I love the hat, too!

I would highly recommend that you do not give him his rabies vaccine, when he will be having surgery.  Many of us follow the advice of Dr. Jean Dodds. In case you haven't heard of her, she is one of the world's best (if not THE best) expert,  on all things vaccine related. She says not to vaccinate animals during surgery. One of the reasons being, the dog's immune system will be revved up in order to heal from the surgery, and fight off any possible infection.....giving a vaccine also effects the immune system..... too much immune stimulation at the same time. I would give him the rabies,  wait 3-4 weeks, then  neuter, to be safe. 

You can Google Dr. Jean Dodds, or Dr. Ronald Schultz (another expert), to read about the effects of vaccines in more detail........when to give, and when not to.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

1crestie

1crestie
  • LocationSo. California
Hi and welcome. I have to chime in and echo what a cute boy Rufio is! His ears do look poodlish to me but it doesn't detract from his cute factor. I have litter mates from a reputable breeder, one is 7 pounds and his brother is nearly 14 pounds. They both excel at agility but Rocket, the big boy is a true athlete. He is way beyond my novice ability and is being handled by someone much more experienced than me. Never the less, what Ann said is true...these guys are often naturals at agility. I hope you give it a go!
BTW: love the hat!!!
th_4b6276a97557c5a26524fd77469d8d98.jpg th_852190459f1f55b51db28b5a702bcf00.jpg th_fd4ac1abdbffdffdcbd75577bb1b2d9c.jpg

So California Crest-Care Rep Dog, n. A subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the worlds worship.-Ambrose Bierce

cinematic_kiwi

cinematic_kiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Good point about the vaccination... slipped my mind that it would take him a while to recover.  I'll have them schedule the neuter to happen a month later to be safe. Thanks!

• GrandCynth likes this

deedswan

deedswan

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationIdaho
Hi and welcome, your baby is super cute! I have a over standard crestie, he is 15" tall and 17lbs. With huge ears. I tried taping them for a year and when they did stand and hair that grew on them they would bend. So I gave up. I like them droopy. I vote agility! Most dogs really enjoy it and it can really build confidence. I posted a pic of my big guy below. Again, Welcome to the group.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chinese crested, short hair, large size, normal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users