Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Powder Puff Or Hairless ????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts

Wow.. congrats on one of each!  So they're both boys?  I'd definitely crate separately.  Colleen's set up is ideal.

I'd start brushing and trimming their faces the instant you have them.  Even if you don't really shave any part of them, pretend to.  One thing about some cresties is they have a fear of the trimmers near their faces.  If you start early enough, you may just win that battle.

I have a true hl girly and a VERY hairy hl boy.  I hate hate hate shaving him.  Tiny little bony elbows are such a pain.  And his hair is kind of thick so I get hair splinters from him all the time.  blech.

I have 2 poodles and a bichon also, so I'm doing a lot of grooming on a regular basis.  I'd go true hl in the future  :laugh:

“My dog, she looks at me sometimes with that look, and I think maybe deep down inside she must know exactly how I feel. But then maybe she just wants the food off my plate.”Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagehttp://www.chinesecr...line=1340394355https://www.facebook...mouseinthehouse

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Baxter was actually one of my original choices for Dexter before I knew I was getting two.  Maybe I will settle with that then.  Dexter & Baxter :) Before it's all over with I will make myself completely NUTS!! 

• ColleenT likes this

livkight

livkight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Ok everyone...I have some news.  I originally posted this thread because when we first went to the breeder to see the puppies we had a hard time choosing between the PP or HL, although we went there strictly for a HL.  We really did fall in love with two of them one HL and one PP.  Then we teetered on getting both and then I got cold feet and said NO WAY, one baby at a time is enough....

I'm so jealous! The breeder we got Stella from has one of her sisters left, a HHL who is just a sweetheart, that I still wish we also had. How fun would it be to have two babies!? I've also convinced myself that one is enough for now, but man, I wouldn't be disappointed if my husband just came home with the other little one some evening! ;) 

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

i think the hardest part about having 2 is potty training. As long as you keep consistent, i think it will go well. There is no fun like 2 puppies wrestling and chasing each other! 

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

I think those names are too similar, and will confuse them.  But what do I know, I had Louie and Dewey, and they came out just fine.  Never mind  :laugh:

If life hands you melons, you're probably dyslexic. http://www.facebook....ethelovemuffin/http://www.louiethelovemuffin.com/LaxPi.gif

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

I think those names are too similar, and will confuse them.  But what do I know, I had Louie and Dewey, and they came out just fine.  Never mind  :laugh:

besides the multiple nicknames that will no doubt come up. Half the time we call our dogs by their nicknames, not their real names. 

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Any others you can think of.  Hubby doesn't like Felix :( I do though.  This is such a battle.  

It should be your choice as he is your birthday present! :)

• **Shannon** likes this
[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Congrats, I'm excited for you! You are going to have your hands full, but they don't stay puppies for very long! Boys are so sweet, too.  :wub:

I have a true hl, two medium hl, and one very hhl. Thankfully the hairy one is a teeny thing, so shaving her body doesn't take very long. But her furnishings are cottony, and mat like crazy if not brushed frequently.

• **Shannon** likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Chinese Crested Dragon

http://dragcave.net/user/statmed

Posted ImagePosted Image

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

:wub:  HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to all of you!!! 

This is the final decision, no more being indecisive, no more changes, we all agree (hubby, daughter, son, & myself) on the names; Poindexter & Dudley Do-Right aka Dexter & Dudley  :biggrin:

• deedswan, Hairy Junebugs and ColleenT like this

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Congrats on choosing names. i know it's a big deal. 

• **Shannon** likes this

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

love the names you've chosen !!

• **Shannon** likes this

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

cute!

• **Shannon** likes this
[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Did you get everything you need? it's so exciting but so hard to wait. If you have not gotten any nail clippers, i have found that Millers forge small size are really good. they are super sharp, so they cut easily, no crushing of the nail. I do Dremel the hairless dogs, but Pixie and polly ( puffs) have had hair ripped out of their feet by the dremel. even tried the pantyhose trick, and it ripped the pantyhose off. So i just use my millers forge clippers( cheap to buy) and they work great. also one of those long metal combs, i think they are called Greyhound combs? they are good for the puff coat. 

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Did you get everything you need? it's so exciting but so hard to wait. If you have not gotten any nail clippers, i have found that Millers forge small size are really good. they are super sharp, so they cut easily, no crushing of the nail. I do Dremel the hairless dogs, but Pixie and polly ( puffs) have had hair ripped out of their feet by the dremel. even tried the pantyhose trick, and it ripped the pantyhose off. So i just use my millers forge clippers( cheap to buy) and they work great. also one of those long metal combs, i think they are called Greyhound combs? they are good for the puff coat. 

I did get everything I  need and then some...lol.  I am going to get a pair of those nail clippers and return the ones that I got, the one's that you recommend sound like they would be better.  I did get a metal type comb, not exactly the Greyhound comb but similar.  Thank you for the information.

• ColleenT likes this

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

So, we went this past Saturday to spend some time with the babies and of course we took lot's of pictures as we always do.  They turned 8 weeks old on Sunday the 16th, we were there on Saturday the 15th.  Am I able to post those pics since it was just a one day difference?  I am just so anxious to show you guys my babies  :biggrin:

• ColleenT and porterk like this

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

it's already 8 weeks, i think you can. ( i don't know, but i'd love to see)

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yes, you can post pics of you babies, now. Just no pics of the parents, or the other pups in the litter, nor mention of the breeder.

Looking forward to seeing your little guys!  :biggrin:

• **Shannon** likes this

Posted ImagePosted Image

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Ok, so I created a gallery of pictures because I can not for the life of me figure out how to insert them in my post  :unsure:

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA
IMG05 (1)

• Puffalicious Momma, Hairy Junebugs and porterk like this

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

I FIGURED IT OUT  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

IMG04 (1)
IMG03 (1)
IMG02 (1)
IMG01 (1)

• Puffalicious Momma, Hairy Junebugs and porterk like this

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Aww, Sweet Boys! 

• deedswan and **Shannon** like this

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They are both absolutely adorable!!!   :wub:   You must be so excited.....when do they get to come home with you?

• **Shannon** likes this

Posted ImagePosted Image

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

They are both absolutely adorable!!!   :wub:   You must be so excited.....when do they get to come home with you?

Thank you!!  Yes, I am so excited, as are my hubby and the kiddo's!  The breeder doesn't like to let the babies go home until she feels they are 100% ready.  They go back for another Vet visit on the 25th and then I am hoping no later than the 7th we can bring them home.  We will have to wait to see how she feels about whether or not they will be ready to go.  At that point though, they will be just two days shy of 11 weeks.  What is the average age that they usually can go home?  I have always had LARGE dogs and was always able to bring them home at 8 weeks.

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Usually in the 9-12 week range. With the upper end of that range being optimal.  Young puppies learn so much from their mom and siblings.....having these extra few weeks with mom and siblings can make a big difference in your experience with them, once home. For instance, they will have learned not to puncture your skin with their razor sharp puppy teeth while playing, as that usually got them a nip from mom. A puppy closer to 12 weeks can hold their bladder longer, and can be easier to house train. The pups may also be more sure of themselves, too.

What does the breeder say she is looking for, in determining if they are 100% ready to go home?

Posted ImagePosted Image

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Usually in the 9-12 week range. With the upper end of that range being optimal.  Young puppies learn so much from their mom and siblings.....having these extra few weeks with mom and siblings can make a big difference in your experience with them, once home. For instance, they will have learned not to puncture your skin with their razor sharp puppy teeth while playing, as that usually got them a nip from mom. A puppy closer to 12 weeks can hold their bladder longer, and can be easier to house train. The pups may also be more sure of themselves, too.

What does the breeder say she is looking for, in determining if they are 100% ready to go home?

Ok, I see what you are saying.  

As far as what she is looking for, I am not so sure.  She said she wants to be sure they are ready to be away from Mom.  Maybe for the reasons that you listed above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users