Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Powder Puff Or Hairless ????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Guysmama

Guysmama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I loovvveee grooming so a hairy for me

• Laura likes this

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

That's interesting to know!  I am glad you told me that because I'd never heard of that here except for that one meme that was going around.  It's true there is a lot of variation in the HHLs!  

tried to find original place found it but cant seem to but found this document which explain it well

http://www.genetics....Apr01_e_eng.pdf

Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kolibree

Kolibree

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,837 posts

Hairless!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Horseplay

Horseplay

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

I'm all about hairless!  Eva is a moderate hairless and Mr Reese is a Xolo so even less hair than my princess :)  I'd totally get an AHT or Standard Xolo in the future.  I'd easily consider a hairy hairless :)  I like the non-shedding and no coat maintenance of a hairless or the varying degrees of hairless.

I love how Puffs look when you "decorate" them, you can change up the hair cut a ton and I love how pretty Crushers puffs look as pony cut or long flowing hair but I know I would NEVER keep up the necessary grooming.  My other 4 dogs are short coated and they shed :-S.  There is a woman on a Crestie FB page I am on and she does nothing short of amazing stuff with her puffs coat almost makes me want a puff. 

As my coated dogs age and move along I'm pretty sure I won't be getting any more coated ones, same with cats!  I love that my Crested and Xolo can come places and not track hair, we want to travel with them and people are all that much more open to it when we make sure to note they are hairless.  I only have to "groom" Eva every 6-8 weeks, she's rather hairless and I just shave her muzzle, sometimes in the summer I keep her in a "show cut" and shave the body hair, it doesn't take long at all which I like but even that maintenance I grow lazy on LoL.  It takes no time to bathe and dry.  I enjoy I can color her hair, I have yet to but could put temp tattoos on her or body gems :) I like they can be every where with me and not leave fur on my nice clothes, all over the car, in their beds, on other peoples clothes, and they like to 'help' with fresh laundry which I don't care as there's no hair!  I very much prefer to skin care over coat care.  I like that I can put lotion on them and they smell nice (Hempz).  I love the warm touch and smooth skin, I love the pony look they naturally have, I love the pretty crest... 

Got Crested, Got Xolo, Go Naked!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Got Crested, Got Xolo, Go Naked!

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.

Hairless every time. Mine are true hairless. No shaving/clipping needed and they both have plenty of furnishings and beautiful clear skins. I don't get the grading thing. A hairless dog is hairless, as a hairless dog should be, or it isn't hairless.  It's a hairy dog that has to be shaved to be hairless.  I love the puffs too but for me it's the true hairless that's my choice every time.

Edited by ann, 09 February 2014 - 09:15 AM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace, Jimi Hendrix. All dogs go to Heaven, but some dogs live in Hell. Please don't support puppy farmers.

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

not sure get what you are writing? kinda get the point but again not

jack is genetically hairless even if appear to be a coated dog as he is so hairy but hairless all the same far from being a powderpuff and this is where the grading system comes in place. so the grading system bases this on how much hair they grow when not shaven. even a thl require some sort of groming for show though some stray hairs and often with hairy faces. never seen a perfect thl (no shaving that is) without any hair on face or even on body (even if just the odd hair).

Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

i have a powder puff & i keep him short & get him groomed every 8-9 wks. it is an all over short cut. most people think he is a poodle mix. once his hair starts growing out i will brush him occasionally. 

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Ok everyone...I have some news.  I originally posted this thread because when we first went to the breeder to see the puppies we had a hard time choosing between the PP or HL, although we went there strictly for a HL.  We really did fall in love with two of them one HL and one PP.  Then we teetered on getting both and then I got cold feet and said NO WAY, one baby at a time is enough.  

We have visited every week for the past 7 weeks and on the second visit the breeder said "I sold another puppy" (because each time we talked I would ask her if anyone had inquired yet besides my husband and I), of course I asked which one and she said "It's the male PP that you love so much".  I told her I knew he would be the next to go because he is just the cutest little guy ever.  WELLLLL......while visiting yesterday (we spent four hours there) my husband was awfully clingy to the Male PP that we loved so much but did not choose.  I was playing with Dexter our HL baby and most the time we visit I kind of just focus on Dexter.  I couldn't understand why Ed (my hubby) was cuddling so much with that one particular PP.  So, as he is holding the Male PP....he says "I have a surprise for you, Happy early Birthday, I bought you this little guy too!!"  I couldn't believe it!!  For weeks now he and the breeder had known and said nothing.  He couldn't resist not telling me any longer.  The breeder even went as far as telling me a couple days ago that she told the "people" that bought him that I am good with picking names and was asking me for suggestions claiming that the "people" couldn't decide on a name.  This way whatever name I gave her she was going to begin to call him that so he could get used to it.  So no more wondering which one to get....I am the proud Mommy of one of each :)  NOW to come up with another name....which made me crazy when deciding on Dexter.  I can NOT wait to post pics for all of you.  They were just 7-weeks yesterday so I have one more week before I can post their pics.  I love them both so much.  I can't wait until them come home!!

• ann, Hairy Junebugs, ColleenT and 3 others like this

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Oh my gosh! congrats! Can't wait to see pics. How about Dexter and Morgan? ( yes i love the show Dexter). (also- Dexter's father was Harry)

• Laura and **Shannon** like this

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

deedswan

deedswan

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationIdaho
Congrat! I vote for another D name.. Go double D's

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA

OH MY! What a lucky Mama you are, twins!  I wish you all the best of luck! 

• **Shannon** likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Left to right, back,) ( cousin) Chester, Rocco, Jay Jay,(front) Bonnie, Vinny and Sophie!Posted Image

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Ok...so now my big question is this.  We crate train, so do I crate them together or separately?  I have done some research on this and lot's of sites and forums say let them be together in the crate and lot's say separate crates.  They will have plenty of individual family time with us as well as play time together outside of the crate.  I just am not sure which way to go with this one.

deedswan

deedswan

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationIdaho
I am defiantly no expert but I would think for your sanity (howling puppies)t he first couple of weeks it won't hurt to crate together. Then maybe during the day put them side by side in their crates with a yummy bone or stuffed kong. Then once they get more comfortable and recognize which crate is theirs. The tradition will be easy. Another idea to is getting a xpen with a crate in it and leave the crate open. And put puppy pads out so you don't have to get up during the night to potty puppies. I'm lazy so that's how I crate trained Denver. when he was old enough to hold his bladder during the night I started closing the crate door. Can't wait to see pics of your babies.
  • DebbsHereNow likes this

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

What about sticking with the x theme and going with Felix as a name for the PP?

• **Shannon** likes this
[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Hmmm....you might be onto something there.  I like that.  

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

i crate separately. But you can park the crates right next to each other. We also feed them in their crates, so they know this is THEIR crate. Their safe place. 

Edited by ColleenT, 11 February 2014 - 05:29 PM.

• Ace, ann and porterk like this

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Any others you can think of.  Hubby doesn't like Felix :( I do though.  This is such a battle.  

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

when we only had 4- this was dinnertime

mealtimefor4.jpg

• Laura, **Shannon** and livkight like this

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

All of ours have been hairless (although our beautiful 'bearded lady' Holly was a quite hairy hairless). The one puff we fostered, Bailey, fell in love with friends of ours when they came visiting, and as the feeling was mutual, they adopted him. 

Charm (HL) was kindly offered to us by Ann, when we lost our previous girl, and Rie more or less badgered Chinese Crested Rescue into allowing her to adopt Opal (HL), but all our others have been dogs we have fostered for CCR and subsequently adopted, so in that respect we have ended up with all Hairless Cresties without ever making a deliberate decision to do so.

That said, I do personally prefer the Hairless Cresties.

Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

when we only had 4- this was dinnertime

mealtimefor4.jpg

This is great!  Love it!

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Axel

• **Shannon** likes this
[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Dixon

• **Shannon** likes this

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

I like crating separately.  I crated my two boys, Dewey and Louie, together for a few years, but I got the feeling that they each needed their own safe haven after a while.  Unless you have two that never, ever, ever scuffle with each other, you run the risk that they'll bully each other over the small amount of space they have.  I wish that I had not crated them together because I think it was not good for them over the long run.  

The picture that Colleen shared looks about like my crate area looks at feeding time.  Everyone eats in their own crate, though sometimes I close the doors because they aren't all gulpers and the gulpers will get in the other ones' bowls before they are through.  It works well, everyone feels safe, and everyone has their own space when they need it.  

If life hands you melons, you're probably dyslexic. http://www.facebook....ethelovemuffin/http://www.louiethelovemuffin.com/LaxPi.gif

Chyna

Chyna

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State

Hairless all the way.  And female.  TreeTop is really blowing it for all male powder puffs out there. ;)

tanya :p

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Dexter and Baxter, Dennis, Doug, Danny, Xander, Ernie, 

• **Shannon** likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic