Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Powder Puff Or Hairless ????

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

I am just curious, if one here had to choose between Powder Puff or a Hairless as their first ever Crested, which would you choose?

PrincessFifi

PrincessFifi
  • LocationWest Texas
Hairless, all 3 of mine are hairless and I love them to death! I'm a skin person though, I love petting their skin and kissing their skin, lol! I know it sounds creepy but I'm sure the other hairless people can vouch for me, hahahaha! I guess it's a so you prefer hair or skin kind of thing.
  • ann, Chyna, DebbsHereNow and 3 others like this

CraftyGirl

CraftyGirl
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

I had the same question when I was first looking for a CC.  I had my poodle first and I LOOOOVVEE his fluff and the fact that he can look so different depending on his current haircut. I decided on a hairless CC and am so happy I did. Petting her is totally different but just as enjoyable.  She is super warm to snuggle with in bed, and it's nice that her bath/grooming only takes 10 minutes compared to 2 hours! The downside is keeping her warm in winter. She has plenty of clothes, but I don't think she will ever like cold weather or snow!

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Our only dog is a hairless and we adore her and our choice, however you can not go wrong either way.

• **Shannon** likes this
[URL="http://barepawsrescue.org/"][/URL]

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

My BIGGEST fear is the puppy having bad skin or growing up to have bad skin.  I already intend on feeding a really good grain free food as I know that plays a huge part in it BUT I just read so much about the acne and ESPECIALLY the blackheads.  I just worry about that.

CraftyGirl

CraftyGirl
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

My BIGGEST fear is the puppy having bad skin or growing up to have bad skin.  I already intend on feeding a really good grain free food as I know that plays a huge part in it BUT I just read so much about the acne and ESPECIALLY the blackheads.  I just worry about that.

I worried about skin issues too, but overall, Stella's skin is pretty good.  Her blackheads used to bother me, but they don't bother her, so I got over it.  Plus, in the summer with her tan, they are hardly noticeable.   Be careful not to over-do the grooming and skin treatments, and you will most likely be fine. Diet plays a part as well, so you are on the right track!

You are getting a puppy, so you won't have to worry about un-doing damage or neglect from the past.

Edited by CraftyGirl, 20 January 2014 - 04:48 PM.

• **Shannon** likes this

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

I have two hairless and a puff.  The hairless-- mine are both pretty hairless, not hairy-hairless-- are much easier in terms of bathing and grooming; you can give them light sponge baths a majority of the time and dry them off with a paper towel!  The puffs and the HHL are a lot more work, but personality wise I love them all the same.  I would not trade my little puff boy for all the tea in China but I think one of him is enough :)  

• **Shannon** likes this

If life hands you melons, you're probably dyslexic. http://www.facebook....ethelovemuffin/http://www.louiethelovemuffin.com/LaxPi.gif

Wijic

Wijic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 826 posts

Aesthetically, I love the nekkies the best, because they are so unique and different, and I guess I'm just drawn to the cute-but-unusual. Pico's skin, so far, is quite good, so I've been very lucky in that department. He still gets blackheads in certain areas, and I think most hairless dogs will have a few in their lifetime, at the very least. Hairless cresties also have weird, small teeth that tend to fall out pretty quick. Pico's 1.5 years old and he's already missing a lot of his adult teeth, because they've fallen out. It doesn't seem to bother him, but it does look funky if you peek, and he may be all but toothless in a few years. They also seem more susceptible to skin infections. Also, as the hairless dogs age, all those lumps, bumps and discolorations of old age that are usually mostly-hidden by a dog's coat will be out on display. A hairless dog's need for a wardrobe can be a pro or a con, depending on how much you enjoy dressing up your dog. ;)

Puffs have the same, glorious crestie personality, but they also have normal teeth and no skin issues. Their coat can be a lot more work if kept long, but I know a number of owners who just opt to keep them cut pretty short (or even in pony cuts) and if you get them groomed professionally into a short clip every 6 weeks or so, their day-to-day grooming needs are pretty minimal. They can also be a lot more tolerant of cold weather, as they have a lot more natural protection.

So, really, it comes down to what you want in your dog. The hairless cresties have the WHOA! factor, for sure, but I think overall, their skin needs can be the greater challenge, and nearly every hairless dog is going to look a bit more "ravaged" in their senior years than a coated dog will. All things being equal, puffs are the easier keepers and tend to be less expensive in both purchase cost and lifelong vet bills, in my opinion. But, the hairless dogs are so irresistibly nekkid, and for a lot of folks (me included), having the pleasure of a hairless pup is worth the additional quirks and concerns.

Edited by Wijic, 20 January 2014 - 08:18 PM.

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Are PP able to be shaved all the way to the skin or is that a "no no" for them?

Wijic

Wijic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 826 posts

Are PP able to be shaved all the way to the skin or is that a "no no" for them?

Well, puffs have an undercoat, so even when you shave them all the way down, they still look faintly fuzzy and/or feel a wee bit bristly. But, yes, people do shave puffs into a "pony cut", which is basically shaving them into the same cut a hairless would have: they keep their crest, tail plume and socks, and the rest of their body and face gets shaved down to the skin or very close to it.

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

i have 2 puff girls. They mat up badly, so i keep them in a pony clip. Every 3 weeks i have to shave them from face to bum. ( except for crest, feet and tail)Shave their feet on the bottom b/c the hair can make them slip. Shave their ears, etc.. I have 3 AHT's which are totally naked. SO easy to care for. If you like to groom dogs a lot, Go puff. If not, Go naked! i will never have another hairy dog again. 

Edited by ColleenT, 20 January 2014 - 11:57 PM.

• Puffalicious Momma, DebbsHereNow and **Shannon** like this

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
I love my 2 hairlesses! I really love the feel of my less hairy hairless skin. Both of mine are suposed to be true hairless but one needs a shave down ever 10-14 days or she feels like a brillo pad. My other one get a face shave every couple weeks and no body clip needed. Even with good dental care both of mine have very few teeth and their teeth are so delicate that in order to avoid the loss or breakage of any more teeth I have had to take away all chews and toys. Also, I personally do not enjoy the attention that they bring. I cant take them anywhere without ppl acting like ive got a unicorn at the end of my leash. Like I said, I absolutely adore my 2 that i already have however my next dog will either be a puff or an AHT as they do not suffer the same bad dental issues as hairless cresteds do. Another thing to keep in mind is while yes the puffs require significant grooming so do a lot of hairlesses in order to keep them truely hairless.
  • CraftyGirl likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***MEGAN***

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
I love my 2 hairlesses! I really love the feel of my less hairy hairless skin. Both of mine are suposed to be true hairless but one needs a shave down ever 10-14 days or she feels like a brillo pad. My other one get a face shave every couple weeks and no body clip needed. Even with good dental care both of mine have very few teeth and their teeth are so delicate that in order to avoid the loss or breakage of any more teeth I have had to take away all chews and toys. Also, I personally do not enjoy the attention that they bring. I cant take them anywhere without ppl acting like ive got a unicorn at the end of my leash. Like I said, I absolutely adore my 2 that i already have however my next dog will either be a puff or an AHT as they do not suffer the same bad dental issues as hairless cresteds do. Another thing to keep in mind is while yes the puffs require significant grooming so do a lot of hairlesses in order to keep them truely hairless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]***MEGAN***

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC

I am in the hairless camp as well, I like my naked girl, I like caressing her skin it is so soft like a babies, I like her unique look, I like the fact she can wear bling and it doesn't disappear in a fluff of hair.

The only draw back is worrying about them getting too cold especially if they have gone walk-a-bout. On the other hand they are hardier then they look and do not need a lot of grooming and they get farmers tans in the summer if they are out wearing light tees.

DCP_2493-1.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~ Suki ~ ~ ~~

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life.

Richard Allan Palm

porterk

porterk
  • LocationMichigan
I have one of each, and love them both. They both have great personalities. However, I've always said if I were to get another, it would be another hairless. My puff is too much up keep with all his hair. I do keep him in a pony cut, but it grows out very quickly and there's always hair all over my house and clothes. My hairless is so easy to groom.

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA

I love my 3 hairless dogs too. the skin just reminds me so much of a baby. I had a foster puff (RIP sweet Nemo) and I shaved him into a pony cut. we also have 2 dogs with fur ( 5 all together). I love not having to worry about fur being all over  and   I absolutley LOVE dressing my 2 girls up! I only had sons, so my CCs have so many pretty girley things to wear

• **Shannon** likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Left to right, back,) ( cousin) Chester, Rocco, Jay Jay,(front) Bonnie, Vinny and Sophie!Posted Image

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

not read all the threads but seems we are only discussing hairless vs. puffs...

dont forget those in between. the hairless dogs arent all hairless and vary from grade 1 to 5 in hairlessness. 1 being pretty darn nekkid even on head tail and paws and 5 is a fake puff basically.

I have my little jacky he is a fake puff and it is a lot of hard work i think it would be better with a puff than that hairy of a nekkid crested. the hair matts so badly and seeing as no undercoat when brush basically rip hair out to get knot away, so daily brushing a must and if wear jammies if keep them shaved the paws and crest and tail needs to be done more frequently as it makes the remaining hair matt a lot where the jammies get into contact with the hair. seeing as no undercoat i cant do an all over puppy cut as he would look stupid by this i mean shave dog all over to a few cm for better upkeep seen some do this on puff and still they look great (although odd as no longer a crestie in appearence :P) and growing a hhl long is painful due to the matting and keeping them short requires weekly grooming and takes forever to get them shaved.

on the upside not sure if general thing or just mine but jack has really good teeth. some adult teeth may never have surfaced but if dont know teeth you wouldnt know. 1 tooth came lose and had to pull out at the vets this was after chomping on some really hard rawhide and only tinies of tooth ever. cresties teeth roots are more shallow from my understanding and that is why they are more prone to falling out. but jacks teeth are good and crossing fingers stay that way he is now nearing 6 years of age. his skin has always been great apart from odd blackhead esp underneath where gets dirty and around peepee :P now in the last year he has however developed a few pearly cysts on his chest but nothing too bad..

no idea if pup looking at is true hairless somewhere in middle or really hairy but do take that into consideration when ask about hl vs puff

Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

There aren't five grades of hairlessness.  That's just a meme that somebody made up to get attention on facebook.  There are true hairless, hairy-hairless, very hairy-hairless and puffs.  The amounts of hair are kind of self explanatory.  True hairless require little grooming, and the hairies require a bit more, depending on how much hair they have.  

If life hands you melons, you're probably dyslexic. http://www.facebook....ethelovemuffin/http://www.louiethelovemuffin.com/LaxPi.gif

Kelley

Kelley

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
I love my hairless!! It takes me 1/2 hour to bathe and groom. I also have cockers and that is at least 3 hours to bathe and groom so hairless is the way for me.
I personally think genetics plays a big part in skin issues and I think it bothers us more than it bothers them.
  • **Shannon** likes this
Kelley & the girls Brooklyn and Gossip
Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly. . . . . .on a broomstick.
We are flexible like that. . . . .

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Does this mean you are worried about getting a puff? 

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

There aren't five grades of hairlessness.  That's just a meme that somebody made up to get attention on facebook.  There are true hairless, hairy-hairless, very hairy-hairless and puffs.  The amounts of hair are kind of self explanatory.  True hairless require little grooming, and the hairies require a bit more, depending on how much hair they have.  

well in norway they use this grading system anyways so depends on country then i suppose. both types works all depends how you view it. if go by hairy- hairless (moderate hairless is what i heard) or true hairless there are HUGE variation inbetween those and that is why the grading system are talked of to describe level of hair.

Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Orsi&Lovely

Orsi&Lovely

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,356 posts

I am in the puff camp :) , I love their elegant style when they are in full coat.

And I think mine doesn't need too much grooming, in turn she has a very active life with lots of walks, trainings, and she loves being muddy, still her coat doesn't mat badly. Off course I have to wash her legs after walk when there is mud, and I brush her daily, but I don't feel she needs too much grooming, she is in full coat.

But I think there are different coat types between puffs as well..

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

That's interesting to know!  I am glad you told me that because I'd never heard of that here except for that one meme that was going around.  It's true there is a lot of variation in the HHLs!  

**Shannon**

**Shannon**
  • LocationLevittown, PA

Does this mean you are worried about getting a puff?

No not at all. We were debating on whether to get two siblings. We are already adding a male hairless to our family and the other one we were interested in is a PP. We have since decided that we are going to just have one baby at a time so we are only getting the hairless now. Maybe a year down the road we will add a PP to our family.
  • ColleenT likes this

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

for some reason i thought your Dexter was a puff. 

• **Shannon** likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users