Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Folks Calling My Cc Ugly!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Shelli_O

Shelli_O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPalm Springs,Ca

My little Joffrey was called ugly last night by a family member and it upset me. My question is has this happened to you?  If so do you just ignore or educate.  I think my Joffrey is a fantastic looking dog and we work hard to keep him in good shape, so its funny to hear someone saying my 4 legged child the U word.

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

ignorant people will not change their mind, just for the fact that they need to be "right". But i would ask them to keep their opinions to themselves while you are your dog are around, b/c it hurts to hear such hateful comments. J is a beauty, this person is obviously an butt. 

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

Galaxiegirl

Galaxiegirl

Rescue dog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Strangers have on occasion called Hank ugly. The flip side though is a great deal more people say he is the cutest thing they've ever seen. I try to focus on that and not let the negative comments hurt me. Joffrey is a gorgeous boy, you love him and that's what matters!
  • LunaFancy likes this

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

It is understandable that not everyone appreciates hairless dogs. Unfortunately not everyone has the good manners or common sense to keep negative opinions to themselves, and appear to think it is their prerogative to inform you if they find your dog ugly.

There is a school of thought that says it shows one's innate superiority to ignore such comments, and dismiss them without rancour on the basis that those who voice them needlessly have already displayed their own foolishness.

However I tend to tell them to go f*** themselves.

• ColleenT, kevlaur, CraftyGirl and 1 other like this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

I either have an exceptionally handsome hound, or have just been lucky! I have only ever had 1 negative comment and one that came close with both my dogs. They do attract a LOT of attention, but the people who don't like the look of them are not rude. I get lots of "wow, how ...erm.... unusual" or "that's different!" types of comments but I don't mind those. I fully appreciate CC's are not everyone's cup of tea, the same as some breeds are not mine.

PrettyPuff

PrettyPuff

I also get far more complements than insults. That helps me to not be upset by the people who do make rude comments, which end up being people I know, and strangers tend to either say something nice or don't comment. Sometimes I get the occasional eye-roll from people but I think it's because they think I shave her. I have gotten many comments from strangers about how I shaved my dog. They just don't realize a dog can be hareless on some parts of their body and have no hair on others. 

You have every right to be upset about your family memeber calling your pup ugly, that is not an appropriate thing for someone to say to you because it is rude. I also have a family member who calls my dog ugly but that person also insults my physical appearance as well so they can go shove it :)

Sorry that happened to you. With strangers I tend to ignore. With people I know I don't ignore and I don't really educate on CCS, I more educate on appropriate social behavior and showing respect for others.  

Edited by PrettyPuff, 22 January 2014 - 01:50 AM.

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC

My son calls Suki ugly but when she went missing he spent hours worrying, walking the town in the cold, calling until his throat hurt , searching until well after dark and talking to anyone who would stop. He also almost burst into tears when he saw I had found her and he checked her over from head to foot. He said he was so worried about her and scared ( my son is 21 ).  He loves her like the rest but prefers fur over skin that is his choice but it does not mean he does not care, everyone expresses them selves differently and sometimes that expression is done poorly but most of the time it isn't personal.

Just because someone calls your dog ugly doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the dog just that they find skin less appealing then fur. Face it when you get a unique animal like a hairless your not going to have everyone gushing over your baby, but did you get the dog for compliments from others or because you loved the dog.  Words are just words like any other to the dog it is actions that speak. I am only offended if someone treats Suki cruelly.  Also some people find petting skin creepy others are fascinated and that is personal taste mine will differ from someone who prefers fluff.

• Davyde likes this

DCP_2493-1.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~ Suki ~ ~ ~~

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life.

Richard Allan Palm

Kelley

Kelley

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
Everyone has their own opinion and I don't let it bother me because I know my girls are beautiful.
  • kevlaur likes this
Kelley & the girls Brooklyn and Gossip
Women are Angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly. . . . . .on a broomstick.
We are flexible like that. . . . .

LoveMyPuffs

LoveMyPuffs

It doesn't help that hairless CC's are always being entered (and winning) ugliest dog competitions. To be honest, that was my only knowledge of the breed before Ike came into our lives. I surely never knew there was a powderpuff version.

Since then, I have developed a great appreciation for the breed and I see the hairless variety in a different light.

Of course, I believe it is thoughtless and rude to call any dog ugly to the owner. Hang in there. Anyone that takes the time to look into the eyes of a CC will see all the beauty they could ever imagine. They cast a spell that can never be broken. ;)

• handsome's mom likes this

ddmason

ddmason

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

I have found that people either like or dislike CCs, there is no in between.  I recall the first time my mother saw my hairless.  We were eating out and my mother had leftovers.  She had them put in a doggie bag and told me they were for Teddy and Baxter, not the "ugly dog."  I was pissed and insulted!

Years later, my mother did admit that my hairless was cute.  Fast forward another couple of years when we acquired our puff (that is shaved to look like a hairless because of her gorgeous markings) and everyone thinks she is adorable.  When I took her to work, I felt like we were an ambasador for CCs.  Everyone was dumbfounded as to how nice and gorgeous the bread was.  All most people hear is the CCs being the winner of the ugliest dog contest.

My advice, grow a thick skin.  It doesn't matter what others think because we love our CC's and know what special dogs they are.

Posted Image

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC

It doesn't help that hairless CC's are always being entered (and winning) ugliest dog competitions. To be honest, that was my only knowledge of the breed before Ike came into our lives. I surely never knew there was a powderpuff version.

I can not even rag on the ugly dog contests because this is where I got my first look at a Chinese Crested and this got me curious enough to research the breed, before that I did not know they existed. I researched and liked what I read and researched some more and decided this is the dog for me. I like unusual looking dogs so I gravitated to that ugly picture and had to know more.

Edited by kevlaur, 26 February 2014 - 05:49 PM.

• CraftyGirl likes this

DCP_2493-1.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~ Suki ~ ~ ~~

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life.

Richard Allan Palm

handsome's mom

handsome's mom

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
I have had negative comments. I have had to point out that he doesn't have a skin disease. I am lucky cause his name is Handsome so if someone comments I just tell them that he is handsome and that's why his name is Handsome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users