Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Post Traumatic Stress?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
Late last night Dulcie (our greyhound) attacked Marley (Chinese Crested). I was sitting on the couch and Marley started screaming. When I looked over I saw Dulcie shaking him like he was a toy. When she finally dropped him, he ran under our hutch and snapped and generally flipped out if we came near him. We locked Dulcie in the hallway by herself and the rest of the dogs in the kitchen and gave Marley a little time to calm down but we still couldn't get near him. We ended up pulling out the hutch and throwing a blanket over him and grabbing him. He settled down quick and I was able to check him over. He's got 3 bite marks on his head, one right above his eye and two on his head. Luckily the wounds on his head are barely scratches. The one by his eye is a little deeper, but no more than a cat scratch but it is bruised a little. His eye itself is fine. After holding him a while, he accepted treats willingly and I took off his PJs because during the fight or thereafter he peed on himself. Then I held him some more and he was still fine, just shook up a bit. I got up to get him.clean PJs and my husband tried to sit with him on the couch and he hot scared and ran back under the hutch. Luckily this time about 5 minutes later he came out on his own and I was able to coax him to come over and get on my lap. Not long after we went to bed (locking Dulcie out in the kitchen even though she usually sleeps in our room) and Marley was sort of normal. He snuggled next to me in his spot for awhile and then down by our feet which is pretty normal. Problem is, when I went to get the dogs out of bed, he flipped out again. I had to grab a towel quick and throw it over him to get him out of bed as my husband was still asleep (that is until he started flipping out). He's on my lap again now and I can tell he's still shook up, then again so am I.

So, we will be calling the rescue we got Dulcie from later this morning to arrange having them take her. Now we've kept them separate since it happened but Marley seems scared in general. It almost seems like post traumatic stress. What can I do to help him overcome this. I'm a wreck, I didn't sleep much, I have no clue why this happened, and I'm very worried about my Marley. I'm upset that we're giving Dulcie back but I'd never forgive myself if something else happens. We're home a lot but not always and even when we are we can't constantly supervise them.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how to get Marley back to his old self I'd really appreciate hearing them. Oh and if you have a few vibes to send his way, they'd be much appreciated as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
I know how is Marley reacted just like jack did when he got attacked outside our flat by German shepherd, weed himself and screamed and hid when back inside. A few days or weeks can't remember exactly now he was very nervous about a lot as he generalised his experience to people so would scream if someone tried to come near him. But got better and back to normal.

I would say don't make a fuss even if we want to just ignore it and give treats when behaving well and normal. I.e If hides let him hide and when out and chilling just do what normally do. He will get over it :)

Same happened know how you feel

Healing vibes sent marleys way :)
  • ann likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA

so very sad, that is why is scares me to have large dogs with small ones. I know that most of the time,  nothing happens bad, but all it takes is once. I imagine you can google stress in dogs and maybe find a way to deal with it. I hope all works out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Left to right, back,) ( cousin) Chester, Rocco, Jay Jay,(front) Bonnie, Vinny and Sophie!Posted Image

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Ugh i am SO sorry. What a horrible experience for Marley. I don't blame him for being scared to death. IF Dolce is out of the house, that might help him to calm down. It could take a long time. 

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

Addy's Mom

Addy's Mom

Best In Show

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
How awful for all of you!

Be patient with Marley, and try to build positive experiences for him. So scary, to be attacked in your own home. :(

Lis
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada

rats, just be patient. lucky that little guy wasn't hurt, and sad that you have to let Dulcie go. Hugs to all

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Donnah, Sarah-Dash, Lolah-Dash, Marlah-Dash & Daisy-Dash.

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
OK so update time...
Dulcie is back with her foster mom.from the rescue group we got her from. They are a little concerned she might have a health problem because of the sudden problems. If not, they'll start looking for a new home for her without small dogs or other small animals just in case since we still don't know why she attacked Marley.

Marley is 95% back to his old self. His battle wounds are healing nicely without any signs of infection. He does snap back into his terrified fits, usually when its time to go outside and he doesn't run to the door. Normally, I'd just pick him up and put him outside but now I sit on the couch and wait for him to come to me and then I put him outside. It seems to be working for now, hopefully he'll be fully back to himself soon.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.
  • ColleenT and fullerstanley like this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted Image

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.

Sending lots of Crush vibes for Marley, and for Dulcie. So sad when things don't work out for rescue dogs. You never really know what has happened to them in the past. You could try a homeopathic remedy for Marley, scullcap and valerian is good for stress and fear. Won't hurt him even if it doesn't help. Good advice from tinaborgen, don't react when he has a freak out. Ignore him and give fuss or treats for normal behaviour. Fussing him when freaking out can make him think there's a reason to do it. 

Edited by ann, 30 December 2013 - 01:26 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace, Jimi Hendrix. All dogs go to Heaven, but some dogs live in Hell. Please don't support puppy farmers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users