Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Few Questions About My Sally Ann

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

sallysmom

sallysmom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
First off : we totally love our naughty sally ann!! She is rotten and naughty and soo entertaining!! Im sure our other dogs and sphynx kitty would beg to differ ! Lol
First question is teeth.. I have read alot about their teeth and know they have messed up teeth.. Sometimes missing .. Etc. Sally Ann seems to have plenty, not all but many of her teeth, the very front and the sides have not come in any further since we got her at 8 weeks. She is now 14 weeks and they still look and feel the same. You can see them and feel them but they arent coming down. They still look like a 4 week old. She has been to the vet. But i had never read that before. So i wondered how common this is?
Second :
What do you feed your cc? Sally is kinda picky. When i brought her home i offered her dry, canned, and dry soaked in water. She wouldnt eat any canned. I only tried two brands
She liked the dry soaked a little but preferred the dry kibble. Then she stopped wanting any of her dry puppy food and kept trying to eat the other dogs food. So one day when she went too long for my liking without eating.. I offered her a scoop of their adult dry kibble and she scarfed it. So we have been mixing the two and she eats good most of the time. Now this morning she doesnt want to eat anything again. I dont want to make a picky eater out of her so i dont want to offer somethink new everyday.. However i also know she needs to eat.
We also live about an hour away from pet stores. So i cant run and grab something new if she wont eat. But we go over at least once a week. So i want to make a good list so i can pick up sone sample bags and maybe a few diff kinds of canned.
She is very active, happy, growing well and fast !! Attached File  image.jpg   252.62KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Well it is hard to say about the teeth. i think they need more time. But sometimes the baby teeth don't come out easily and need to be removed at spay time. As for being Picky, i don't allow it. The dogs get what i give them and eat it at their dinner or breakfast or i remove it. They have one chance to eat unless they are sick. I buy a good quality kibble for the 3 without health issues, and Honest Kitchen for Polly and Steve. The other 3 get HK but only as half of their meal. the rest is Holistic Select. But now Spike has had a bout with Pancreatitis so we need to be careful about his diet as well. I would not give anything that you can buy in the grocery. that is all corn syrup and crap. If you can't drive out for it you can have it delivered by places online. if you order from Doggiefood.com., you can save on Shipping if you buy $50 or more. To check out your dog food go to dogfood advisor.com

• sallysmom likes this

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

sallysmom

sallysmom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Well it is hard to say about the teeth. i think they need more time. But sometimes the baby teeth don't come out easily and need to be removed at spay time. As for being Picky, i don't allow it. The dogs get what i give them and eat it at their dinner or breakfast or i remove it. They have one chance to eat unless they are sick. I buy a good quality kibble for the 3 without health issues, and Honest Kitchen for Polly and Steve. The other 3 get HK but only as half of their meal. the rest is Holistic Select. But now Spike has had a bout with Pancreatitis so we need to be careful about his diet as well. I would not give anything that you can buy in the grocery. that is all corn syrup and crap. If you can't drive out for it you can have it delivered by places online. if you order from Doggiefood.com., you can save on Shipping if you buy $50 or more. To check out your dog food go to dogfood advisor.com

Thanks:) i also know the importance of small dogs not going too long without food. And worked at a vet clinic for 14 years. And so personally i don't agree with the " if they are hungry they will eat" it works for some. But i know of many cases where this was not true.
I have only given her honest kitchen once since i have a couple boxes of diff flavors for my adult dogs. She puked with in an hour of eating it. So i haven't tried any of the other ones. I also order food quite a bit. I dont mind that at all. :) just wanted to know what brands others have had success with.
I dont want to try to many brands on her baby belly .
But i have tried many throughout the years on my other adult dogs
I usually go for grain free . Although for one of ours the only one i have tried that he does good long term on is kirkland.
But we have gone thru ;
Orijen
Acana
Nutrisca
Totw
Wellness
Merrick
Solid gold
Honest kitchen
Stella and chewys
Kirkland
Oh the list is long... Lol. Two had allergies thats why
I just didnt know if the hairless have more sensitive bellies
Although she has had no diarrhea at all despite new foods and treats
Her first home where she was born started her out on pedigree canned :/
I dont mind switching it up or paying for good food. But i would like to find something she will like everyday! The other 3 boys are pigs and will eat anything and everything and are always hungry. They wake up at 5 am starving.
Sally ann isnt obsessed with food and loves to sleep in.... Very new for us haha.

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

Well the Very High protein did not go well in our house, they got bad gas from it. Upset tummies, so i go with 21%-about 30% protein but no higher. Some dogs do great on very high protein, but mine do not. Steve has UTI issues so he is on a lower protein, the HK Force works good for him. i do prefer grain free if i can work it into their needs. the Dogadvisor site is good for narrowing down foods. altho i am usually at 3-4 stars instead of 5, only b/c of the protein factor. If my dogs are not eating i take them to the vet. if they are sick we work with what we have to. but if there is no problem, they get what i feed them. it's too expensive to pay that game. 

• sallysmom likes this

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Hello!! What others have said about the teeth is true, just give it time; since HL CC's often have dental issues it seems fairly normal for one! Regarding the food, I am all about raw diet! I have two CC's, 3 Chi's and I foster Chihuahuas too; and EVERY dog who comes into our household is immediately switched to a raw diet. It's what's natural for canines; biologically they're equipt to process raw foods; and long-term health effects from a kibble-only diet can be devestating. There ARE some great grain-free foods out there; but the average commercial food is behond horrible for them. =( It's why although it may narrow down my options for adopting out a dog, I only adopt them out on a raw diet. After getting in so many dogs that are older and have horrible teeth; just seeing how they transform over the first few weeks on raw is almost magical and it's like turning back the hands of time. I only have powderpuffs right now but have owned HL before; but I would definitely feed a HL CC raw if only to preserve the few teeth they may end up with as an adult. =) I don't know if you're interested but one of my Raw Diet Cheat Sheets is a sticky on another forum, I don't want to post it here in case it's in violation of any forum rules but would be happy to pm it to you or anyone who may be interested. I did post it on here once a while back, but with the new layout I'm afraid I haven't a clue how to navigate to find it LOL! Either way, congrats on your new addition and I wish you the best of luck with your bundle of joy!! =D

ETA: Just wanted to edit to also include the cost factor; I want to say for our 5lb dogs it costs less than $5 a week to feed the each a raw diet once following the meal plans; so it's very affordable. =)

Edited by Puff_The_Magic, 25 December 2013 - 01:53 AM.

• sallysmom likes this

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

cccsig_1.jpg

Hairy Junebugs

Hairy Junebugs

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 5,335 posts

Not sure about the teeth, but my Hairy is kinda picky and he loves Orijen. He was having some UTI issues, so I've tried some different brands, which he will eat but was never too crazy about any of them except for Precise Holistic Complete- lamb and turkey, it is also grain free. 

• sallysmom likes this
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image* Posted Image *

Addy's Mom

Addy's Mom

Best In Show

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
While I totally agree about little dogs going too long without eating, looking at your list, I have to say that seems like way too much variety for just six weeks in your home!

Too much variety, switching too quickly does encourage pickiness; they get the message that if they hold out, there will be something better offered. At least the until you've got her eating consistently, pick something she has eaten and liked, and stick to it. Dogs aren't cats; skipping just a few meals isn't dangerous.

Lis
  • Laura likes this
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA

go to dogfoodadvisor and check out the ratings of the different dog food.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Left to right, back,) ( cousin) Chester, Rocco, Jay Jay,(front) Bonnie, Vinny and Sophie!Posted Image

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

Puppies can be brats about food, especially if the puppy is not food oriented.  Logan is like this, and I have had to teach him, as Colleen suggests, that he needs to eat when the food is down or it will not be available for a while.  The key is "for a while."  He does not starve; if he doesn't want his breakfast, I offer the food when I come home at lunchtime.  

When he was quite young, he'd just toss his food all over the place and make a mess.  I feed them in their crates, and he didn't want to be in there, so he'd throw a little tantrum.  He's learned that he is to eat his food in there, and usually eats it now without too much fuss.  He also eats better when he thinks the other dogs want his food, so I let Toui out after he is finished to encourage Logan to eat his food.  Toui always wants to lurk around his food, and he eats it all when Toui is around.  You just have to figure out what motivates them and not let them manipulate you.  Lis is right to suggest that if they get the idea that something better might be offered, they will hold out for that.  

• ColleenT likes this

If life hands you melons, you're probably dyslexic. http://www.facebook....ethelovemuffin/http://www.louiethelovemuffin.com/LaxPi.gif

sallysmom

sallysmom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

While I totally agree about little dogs going too long without eating, looking at your list, I have to say that seems like way too much variety for just six weeks in your home!
Too much variety, switching too quickly does encourage pickiness; they get the message that if they hold out, there will be something better offered. At least the until you've got her eating consistently, pick something she has eaten and liked, and stick to it. Dogs aren't cats; skipping just a few meals isn't dangerous.
Lis

Those are the list of foods my other dogs have tried in the last 6 years
not sally ann.
She has been offered only two dry foods. The puppy food i bought for her and the adult food the other 3 eat.
When she first came home she was offered two brands of canned at the same time and refused both

sallysmom

sallysmom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

go to dogfoodadvisor and check out the ratings of the different dog food.

Thank you! I have actually been there many times over the years :)

sallysmom

sallysmom

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Puppies can be brats about food, especially if the puppy is not food oriented.  Logan is like this, and I have had to teach him, as Colleen suggests, that he needs to eat when the food is down or it will not be available for a while.  The key is "for a while."  He does not starve; if he doesn't want his breakfast, I offer the food when I come home at lunchtime.  

When he was quite young, he'd just toss his food all over the place and make a mess.  I feed them in their crates, and he didn't want to be in there, so he'd throw a little tantrum.  He's learned that he is to eat his food in there, and usually eats it now without too much fuss.  He also eats better when he thinks the other dogs want his food, so I let Toui out after he is finished to encourage Logan to eat his food.  Toui always wants to lurk around his food, and he eats it all when Toui is around.  You just have to figure out what motivates them and not let them manipulate you.  Lis is right to suggest that if they get the idea that something better might be offered, they will hold out for that.

Thank you! She hasnt been offered anything else or "better "
The list is what i have been thru with the other dogs over the past 6 years
She isnt crazy picky yet, just not thrilled with food so i was asking to see if others have specific foods that have worked. I know each dog is different. And i never offer human food or anything.
And thankfully sally ann likes her crate!

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

Thank you! She hasnt been offered anything else or "better "
The list is what i have been thru with the other dogs over the past 6 years
She isnt crazy picky yet, just not thrilled with food so i was asking to see if others have specific foods that have worked. I know each dog is different. And i never offer human food or anything.
And thankfully sally ann likes her crate!

Well, I have tried a couple of different foods for Logan, on the chance that he just hates what I give him, but he pretty much acts like this no matter what I feed him.  So, in his case, I think it's just bratty behavior.  Can't really suggest more than that, though!  

• sallysmom likes this

If life hands you melons, you're probably dyslexic. http://www.facebook....ethelovemuffin/http://www.louiethelovemuffin.com/LaxPi.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users