Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Reminder about collars

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Rambo and Fancy

Rambo and Fancy

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Just had a scare with Fancy (HL) They eat in the office aka their bedroom in separate crates since Rambo has to have special food for his liver. So anyway they are in their eating and Fancy is kinda whining which normally means she is done eating. Well, we were eating supper so I just ignored her. I go to get them out and I see Fancy has pink front feet, so I'm thinking how the heck did she do that. Then I realize she has her lower jaw caught in her collar and I guess she was trying to dig it out with her paws. Thankfully couldn't find any blood in or around her mouth. Couldn't find any active bleeding on her paws either. So I feel like an awful Mom....no more collars if I'm not in direct supervision. Just a reminder for everyone.

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
You're not a bad momma! A bad momma would have not cared. Collars are dangerous like that! Mine are collar free in the house. I'm glad she is ok!

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada
what a scare! thanks for reminding us how quickly things can happen. I immediately checked that my girls collars were not too loose.

Pariss

Pariss

Canine Good Citizen

• Members
  • 662 posts
Yeah they definitely can be a hazard.. I was walking my pitt mix like 12 years ago after school and somehow the skin between his fingers got stuck on the "S" link that his tags are connected to in order to put them on the collar. Freak accident... Scary too, had to go to the vet in a strangers car..

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.
I'm glad she's ok, and no damage done. Don't beat yourself up over it,sh*t happens sometimes. You couldn't for-see that happening. That's the reason why my dogs don't wear their collars indoors. Many years ago I used to leave collars on my dogs. I went to pick the boys up from school one day, a 30 minute max trip, and when I got home, two of my GSD girls had obviously been playing and one had her jaws trapped in the collar of the other one. They'd panicked and twisted round and round, trying to get free, and made it so much worse. After cutting them free and rushing the pair to the vet: broken teeth, cut gums, two broken toes on one, I never left collars on again, even when I was home. They hated each other after that and I eventually had to re-home one of them before one killed the other. I've been asked what happens if they get out. There are dog gates in every doorway downstairs, preventing them getting anywhere near the door that exits the house, then there is a fenced garden beyond that. They are also microchipped and have ear tattoo's. A collar can be removed, thus rendering their contact details useless anyway.

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA
this has happened with Sophie a few times. Freaked me totally out. But I have to leave collars on. We have doggie doors and they can go out when ever they want. It just scares me too much if they get out of our fenced in yard without a collar. I just made Sophie's collar a bit tighter and it has never happened again.

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
Omg, Ann, that was a CRAZY story!! I can only imagine the horror of coming home to that!

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.

Omg' date=' Ann, that was a CRAZY story!! I can only imagine the horror of coming home to that!

It was very frightening. Moreso because I used to do man work with my Shepherds and Dobies, and they were trained attack dogs. Even though I'd trained them myself, they were off their heads with fear etc: and I didn't know how they'd re-act when I tried to cut them free. Fortunately they didn't turn on me.

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
I go collarless around home. I have heard several stories like Ann's, and have seen my own dogs get a jaw stuck on a anothers collar.It is scarey but most of us have seen it happen. $hit does happen.

emerald

emerald
The only time my boys wear collars are when out walking with their ID and vet contact tags on. I once saw a poor cat who had died after getting its collar caught on some railings, an awful sight that will never leave me.Please don't take it to heart, genuine accidents happen. I'm sure Fancy only remembers the fact that her Mum came and rescued her ::):

PrincessFifi

PrincessFifi

Fifi Lexi Howie Paisley

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationWest Texas
That had to have been scary! We go collarless around here, and fifi hates collars anyways. She will only walk in a harness or she acts like I'm murdering her!!! Def don't beat yourself up! It could happen to anyone!

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Mine don't wear collars at home either. They are also chipped. I'm so glad to hear the Fancy is okay....that's so scary!

skeeterbug

skeeterbug

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
my puppy wears a cat collar that pulls apart if was to get caught on anything.thats only so she can hav a bell on it cause she is so small i need to know where shes at.and she only goes out on a harness vest.

yecartmannew

yecartmannew
  • LocationSomerset UK

That's a good idea for a tiny dog or puppy. you can get safety collars for dogs too.

kevlaur

kevlaur

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationNorthern, BC

Been there done that but because my dogs have went for the odd walk about unsupervised I always leave their collars on but I snug them up so they can't get their lower jaws through the collar. I had a puppy once that was playing with his mom that managed to wrap the collar around its lower jaw not that was freaky. Puppy was squealing, Mom was panicking, and the other dogs were trying to jump into the fray. I was glad my sister was there to help hold the pup so I could unsnap the collar then I snugged it up nice and snug on her.

DCP_2493-1.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~ Suki ~ ~ ~~

Puppies are nature's remedy for feeling unloved, plus numerous other ailments of life.

Richard Allan Palm

Florrie

Florrie

My sister's friend got up one morning and found her small doggie hanging on the arm of the dining room chair. As soon as I heard this I took off my PP's collar and now we use only a harness when we go out of the house. Accidents happen and it's horrible.

Davyde

Davyde

Stray Human

• Members
  • 3,350 posts
  • LocationStepping over the Pug

My lot all run round naked in the house (except Rie, sadly!) and when they go out they wear harnesses with their ID tags attached rather than collars.

Accidents are unlikely, but can be tragic when they do happen, as we have found before on Crush. 

• rlnrn likes this
Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time until he puts it on his head.

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

we always use harness vests ...there seems to be less chance of damaging their throat, and less chance of a collar getting caught .

• Eryn likes this

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

Mine don't wear collars in the house, but they do when we go out. They are under supervision then though.

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA

No collars in the house. 

PIXIE, POLLY, STEVE, IVY, SPIKE

pixsmileavat.jpgpollyavat4.jpgstevehuntsmall3.jpgivycrush2.jpgspikesiggy1.jpg

Eryn

Eryn

Canine Good Citizen

• Members
  • 696 posts
I had a greyhound as a kid, and learned super quick that since her head was so skinny, she could just back up and pull right out of a collar. Had a scare when she got spooked on a walk and slipped on her collar, and took off. Since then, I've only ever used harnesses on my dogs. I pick thicker mesh ones (Walmart has an excellent harness, believe it or not. I haven't been able to find one at any of the pet stores I like) and wash them a few times until they're softer. Then I just leave my dogs in it all the time. They get bikini top tan lines, but that's the worst of it :)
:red_heart:Home of the nudist colony :red_heart:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users