Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

For anyone who may be having potty training problems ~

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

SavvyDog

SavvyDog

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
It was a long time ago (so it seems) that I was posting about Moxxy peeing in her crate... every....single....night..The odd thing to me is the whole time she was doing this she was perfectly potty trained as far as in the house went... I tried this and that and everything in between to get her to stop, I mean everything. From taking her out what seemed like 20 times a night, to letting her lay on the bare crate in pee until morning, this dog just didn't care,So I was led to believe it was something medical, incontinence...? Put on proin.Kind of helped, accidents down to once a week.Not liking the idea of her being on meds all her life for something I can just deal with and clean every day I took her off. Became every day again...Now, she is 1 year and one month old, and for the last I'd say 3-4 months there has not been a single accident!! Out of nowhere for absolutely no reason!Nothing changed, she just grew out of it!For the first few weeks I would put a diaper on her, just to see if it was wet or yellow in the morning, because I was skeptical... Nothing!Now she happily sleeps in the doggy bed with her sister Savvy. :)So don't give up!! With Savvy I think I remember her having accidents around the house until a year old too. Now she is two. I swear by 1 year old being the magic number. My dogs are 100% reliable now.So dont give up even if your 8 month old is still having accidents, they do grow out of it with patience and training! Eventually at least..The end :)Here they are showing off their beds. [ATTACH=CONFIG]18007[/ATTACH](yes I shaved my powderpuffs nekkid, lol)
  • Char, Muffy and Ginger likes this

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC
I have always said no dog is completely house trained until a year old. To me it seems the people are trained not the dogs. I also believe they are still maturing inside and out and some dogs mature faster then others just like kids that still wet their pants when they are 5-6 yrs old. Some dogs do not have the muscle control for their bladders yet and once they have matured they gain the control they did not have when younger.I always laugh when I see these ads for puppies that are like 3m old saying they are house trained ...... I don't think so, that would be equivalent to a year old child being potty trained.

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
i woud dissagree though with the last one, fair enough a good few will strggle with potty training due to some reason or another. but my dog he WAS fully housetraind at erm... hmm I do not really remember... got him at 10 weeks hardly any accidents as i took him out sooo often he didnt get that chance to unless i was like nah i can finish the dishes first and then boom pee on floor. lived in lincoln with him for about a week max 2 and moved to edinburgh and say 2 weeks into living there we had no occidents at all. so say roughly at 4 months then he was for sure potty trained and never had any accidents since. so three months is a tad quick but again it can happen if you are ON it but I mean on it because with jack i hardly faulted and we got up to roughly 4 months.

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC
Was your dog truly potty trained where he could hold his pee and let you know he needed out or were you trained into letting him out every hour or two like clock work? Don't get me wrong I am not saying this is bad after all this is how we all start potty training getting them used to the routine of going outside until they are old enough to hold and then alert us to their needs .............. I am also not saying it isn't possible but in general I think this is not the norm. :++:

Ariel

Ariel

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
::round of applause:: yay love it when your dogs are reliable. They look so different!! Interesting!

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
my dogs do no alert me to go out. they just wait until i take them out, which is usually around 7:00 am, lunch time, 4:30, & them bedtime 10:00- sometimes they go out an extra time during the day. i wish they would let me know.

SavvyDog

SavvyDog

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
My dogs do let me know when they need to go out, they paw at the door... I'm not sure where this started though. perhaps one learned from the other and maybe the first time was a coincidence where one touched the door and I happened to let them out when that happened... I'm sure glad it they let me know, but sometimes Moxxy goes in and out over and over just for fun!!Savvy is weird she hates being bothered to go out in the morning or before bed . She holds it FOREVER she literally just won't go out...

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
Sweet Pea is the only one who will let us know by barking. The others we have to read. Leo will start spinning when he has to pee. Toui, poor thing, just shakes. He waits for me to notice and then he will run to the door. He has several issues around peeing and we just keep a diaper on him because he pees in his sleep, but we still discourage him from lifting his leg and we make sure he understands that there is a difference between waking up with a wet diaper and deliberately peeing in the house. I think that somewhere in his background someone probably hurt him emotionally or physically for peeing in the house and now he is terrified of peeing, period. After several years this has gotten much better but he still is very sensitive about it.

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.
[quote name='kevlaur;807848]I have always said no dog is completely house trained until a year old. To me it seems the people are trained not the dogs. I also believe they are still maturing inside and out and some dogs mature faster then others just like kids that still wet their pants when they are 5-6 yrs old. Some dogs do not have the muscle control for their bladders yet and once they have matured they gain the control they did not have when younger.I always laugh when I see these ads for puppies that are like 3m old saying they are house trained ...... I don't think so' date=' that would be equivalent to a year old child being potty trained.[/QUOTE'] I try not to disagree with people, did i really just say that, :ROFL: but I've had many dogs completely house trained as puppies. I bred Mortisha so can honestly say that from 12 weeks old she's never pee'd or pooped indoors, and asks to go out, night or day by barking at the door. She's eight this year, and I can assure you it's her, not me that's trained. "Spring" and "Saffy" have also been spotless indoors, either in or out of their cages, since they were eleven/twelve weeks old. They run to and fro, from me to the door, when they want to go out. Mischief was six months old when I bought her and she was clean from the start.

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC
I guess I have only one thing to sayI Stand Corrected ::P:Although I think your pooches are the exceptions and you got off lucky with easy dogs. I have had dogs that were easy to train and others that were stubborn but I just put this down to the maturity of their bodies and did not stress over it.

SavvyDog

SavvyDog

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Before I got chinese cresteds I heard they were very hard to housebreak. I personally think they are very clean dogs and housebreak easily.

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts

Before I got chinese cresteds I heard they were very hard to housebreak. I personally think they are very clean dogs and housebreak easily.

Most of mine have been hard to nearly impossible, but I put that down to their lines. For whatever reason, Louie and Dewey (and particularly Dewey) were two of the most stubborn creatures I have ever met. Mix stubborn with brains like Dewey had, and you end up with a dog that will stick his willy out between the bars on the front of his crate and pee on the floor so as not to mess up his sleeping area. Every single day. Or one that will sneak off and pee where he wants to just because he knows you're not looking. Every single day. Now, Leo is not from those lines, I don't suppose, and though not the brightest bulb on the tree, he has not had an accident in the house in a very long time. He's learned right from wrong, he spins to go outside (his equivalent of begging) and I feel I can trust him to run around in my house unsupervised. It took a while to get there but I never got there with the other two!

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada
I received all my pups older than 2 years so I never had the early ages to deal with, but they were not really trained when I got them. Both my PP (Sarah & Lolah) were easy to train and used the puppy doors straight away. Marlah the HL was and still is a bit stubborn. She doesn't like it when it is wet or cold or snow and will use the puppy pads on occasion, but now does most of her business outside. Daisy has been with me for 2 months now and has really done will with the training. If it was very snowy or wet outside, she uses the puppy pad but otherwise the doggy door. I really found that the doggy door has been a real great investment and it didn't take long for them to figure it out.[ATTACH=CONFIG]18018[/ATTACH] I had the doggy door put right into the wall so it doesn't affect a door and is well used.

Kimm

Kimm
For anyone who may be having potty training problems ~Mine is still not trained. She will be two in June and although I take her out at 7am 10, noon, 2, 4 and then before bed she sneaks off to pee/poop on the floor whenever she can. And I do mean sneak. it's so weird. And exhausting. Yesterday we had company si she went in the house 3 times after having been brought out. She will hold it while out and then run in and pee on the floor. Sigh.

SavvyDog

SavvyDog

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Savvy needs potty pads for when it's rainy I always forget this because she's always good unless its really really super rainy, she peed inside yesterday of course after I write this thread ugh! We are investing in a doggy door soon it may not be until next summer though. I know it will be a good investment my dogs love going in and out all day long.

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
[quote name='Laura;808344]Most of mine have been hard to nearly impossible' date=' but I put that down to their lines. For whatever reason, Louie and Dewey (and particularly Dewey) were two of the most stubborn creatures I have ever met. Mix stubborn with brains like Dewey had, and you end up with a dog that will stick his willy out between the bars on the front of his crate and pee on the floor so as not to mess up his sleeping area. Every single day. Or one that will sneak off and pee where he wants to just because he knows you're not looking. Every single day. Now, Leo is not from those lines, I don't suppose, and though not the brightest bulb on the tree, he has not had an accident in the house in a very long time. He's learned right from wrong, he spins to go outside (his equivalent of begging) and I feel I can trust him to run around in my house unsupervised. It took a while to get there but I never got there with the other two![/QUOTE']I can picture Dewey with his little willy...... sooooo funny........ I know that it is frustrating ...... but I had to laugh outloud when I read this.

Rambo and Fancy

Rambo and Fancy

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
[quote name='Laura;808344] Mix stubborn with brains like Dewey had' date=' and you end up with a dog that will stick his willy out between the bars on the front of his crate and pee on the floor so as not to mess up his sleeping area.[/QUOTE']:OMG::woohoo::ROFL: That is hilarious.......not so much for you...but the visual is great.....

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
bailey is 1 1/2 yrs, no problems with going out side to urinate. but he has had trouble with holding his bowels, he would go outside & then come in & go some more. even to this day occasionally he will have an accident in the house, he has 2 favorite spots & it is yet that i catch him in the act! i would think holding your bowels would be easier than urine. any comments on this would be appreciated, thanks!

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
I also wanted to mention that I really noticed that having carpet made it very difficult to train. Especially if the previous owners had a dog or cat that "used" the carpet. When I removed the carpet and installed wood floors, my stubborn pups would use the pads and preferred going outside using the doggy door. I guess the smell of previous deposits encouraged them. I am in a friends house for a little vacation and she has carpet that was stained by another dog/cat, and again I am having a bit of a problem with mistakes.

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
All of my dogs have been paper trained, as that is what worked best for my lifestyle, etc. I decided about 4 months ago that I wanted to try and get them to potty outside, as opposed to always using the pads. Not going so well, despite the fact I take them all out about every two hours, from the time we get up, until bed time. Oh they will go outside alright, but then they will also continue to use the pads. I'm thinking because they never had to learn to hold it, since the pads were always there, they just continue to go when they have the urge. I don't know if they can be housebroken? They are 11, 8, 6, 4, and 16 months. Perhaps Enzo can be, since he's only 16 months.....but not sure about the girls. We are going through far less potty pads now, which is great.....but I would love not to have to use any. :huh:

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
Kramer came to me as a 6 month old paper trained boy. He has marked two or three times in the house, but really has never had an accident. Other than during an tummy upset. He is very good at letting me know he needs out.Vixen came as a puppy and has been a tough nut to crack. She doesn't let me know, I have to watch for her subtle clues. She is probably 99% reliable now. It took till she was close to two years old.

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
I think it's much harder to housebreak older dogs when they have been paper trained, probably for exactly the reason you mentioned, Cyn. Louie and Dewey were paper trained when I came on the scene and we wrested with potty training for many years. Their early conditioning was to let go whenever they had the urge, and this seems hard to unlearn. On the flip side of that is that, when Louie got older, I was wishing he would remember his paper training more because life would have been so much easier if I could reliably get him to go on a potty pad. Instead, he wanted to go anywhere *but* there!

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
Laura, for a senior paper training would be a real blessing. I am not a fan of potty pads, but I can sure see when it would be handy. Especially for the seniors.

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Well, if that turns out to be the case, then the more they go outside, the less potty pads I will go through, inside. LOL Silly of me to want the best of both worlds..... but it does work really well, that while traveling in our motorhome, they will use the pads, and not the floor or carpet, if need be.

awessel

awessel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPerdido Key, FL
I am so glad to find this forum! Thanks for being there. We recently rescued a one year old female crested.. She is beautiful, spirited, happy and came from an apartment to a home with dog doors to the screened room and then dog doors to fenced back yard. She learned the doors quickly and practically walked on air in her new home. Used the outside appropriately and it was pretty cool with just the occasional mistake. Then the sprinklers came on and she was terrified, my husband turned them off for now.

Now she pees & poops when ever and where ever she wants. Then for 2 or 3 days she'll go out and be good and then wham back inside. This pattern seems to go with rain and wet ground. I tried the strong arm shaming, telling her to go out in a stern voice. She understands and goes out but for no reason. Is content jumps up on to an ottoman and snuggles in.

In the apartment she was forced to wear a diaper, we chose not to take that road. I could have never imagined that such a little dog could process so much water. Any advice or suggestions would greatly help. She had been at the shelter two times in her short little life and I want her to have a home where the old people don't have to bend down to clean the floors so often. Thanks for listening/ reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users