Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Heart Murmur in an 8 year old puff

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Nita

Nita
Can anyone tell me about heart murmurs in Chinese Cresteds? Are they typical? Unique to the breed? I took Lily in for a check up in January and the vet heard murmur that he previously hadn't noticed. Now she has not needed much medical care at all but he did her exam last year when we got her and I know he is very thorough. She was also in to the vet's office in December with stomach issues. There was no mention of it then and nothing in her chart about it. He wants to recheck her in 6 to 8 weeks to see if there is any change. He said it's a low grade 1 murmur but he wants to make sure it isn't something that is progressing. yikes. She was petrified on the drive to the vet that day, she usually doesn't go anywhere in the van unless we go to Florida. She doesn't like the van and it takes her about an hour to calm down on the drive. Then she's good. but the vet is only 15 minutes away.. I know that shouldn't make a difference but she was unusually agitated. I had wanted to get her teeth cleaned but he doesn't want to put her under anesthesia right now not knowing what's going on, is this something progressing? is it just age related and minor and nothing to be concerned with? She is such a SWEET girl and our 'baby'... the poodles are the senior old girls. Seems I'm always at the vet with one of them for something but Lily has been super healthy so this threw me for a loop. So the plan is we do a recheck in mid March. If the vet is happy with what he hears then we do all the preop bloodwork and we will get her teeth cleaned. I know a heart murmur can be minor and no big deal, and just part of the aging system. But it can also be the start of something else, can't it? I've avoided doing a lot of online research because I usually drive myself into a fit when I do that! Any input would be appreciated and of course, good vibes are always nice as well!

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA
so sorry to hear your puff has this, hopefully it is nothing!

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
We have a number of members whose cresteds have heart murmurs, some very advanced. I'm sure they will be along to post their stories, and answer some of your questions.So far, only one of my cresteds has had a murmur. He was about 5 at the time it was discovered. It could only be heard when they got his heart rate quite elevated, and remained at a low grade, for the rest of his life.....it never progressed.

l1ltaral1l

l1ltaral1l

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,100 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA
By no means am I am questioning your vet.............next time she goes, maybe have another vet listen as well. I work for a one doc practice, and she admits first hand that murmurs are mis 'heard'. She will have one of the nurses listen as well, to all potential murmurs. Glad it is low so far....they are quite common. The key is to just monitor it so if it does progress you can be on top of it :++:

Nita

Nita
thanks for the input.. I'll look forward to hearing from others who have dealt with this. Lily has been seen by 2 vets now.. in December she was seen by a different one in the practice as it was an emergency..and she made no mention of it. Our regular vet heard it right away.. I could tell something was up. He says it's not too unusual in older dogs but as she didn't have anything in December and then she did in January he became concerned. He wants to make sure it's not something progressing and that maybe the other vet just missed it in December. That's why we recheck in March, unless she starts having any major changes in behavior, becomes lethargic, etc, then I am to bring her back ASAP. I know our older poodles have age related murmurs..but then they are much older dogs and it's never been a reason for concern or special treatment. And the vet never seemed as concerned on their check ups when he says "mild murmur, expected at this age" and goes on..... He's been our vet for years and always treats our dogs well. I guess it was HIS concern that made me more nervous. And of course, I had my daughter with me as Lily is her dog, so did he tell me everything he really was thinking at that moment? Or did he decide to wait for a followup? I know, I'm worrying probably when I don't need to.

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts
Nita, I don't think you need to worry just yet. Both Morgan's and Ace's did come on quickly and advance quickly, but the meds are keeping things level for now and that's all I can ask for. I'm finding that it is fairly common. Most of the ones I personally know are all hairless, but there are puffs with it also. My vet says murmurs are easily mistaken if the pup is overly excited and that could very well have been why Lily's heart seemed to skip a beat. Low grade murmurs are pretty hard to even hear. It certainly can't hurt to have her checked again in a few months. I don't think you need to worry tho. With Ace, you can *see* his heart beating thru his chest and both Morgan and Ace's can be felt with barely a touch to their chests. It's a distinctive *whomp* kind of feel every other beat type of thing. Hard to explain. But, if you listen to the chest, it's a whooshing sound that indicates the murmur. (mind you, I'm talking a higher grade, theirs is 4-5)

Hairy Junebugs

Hairy Junebugs

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 5,335 posts
I agree, I don't think you need to worry just yet. Easier said then done, because we will always worry. We had a Crestie with a murmur I think a 5/6? It was pretty high, and you could literally hear it from across the room. His was controlled by meds and he lived a long happy life.

Nita

Nita
Thanks ladies for the input. I guess what really concerned me is he didn't want to do the dental right now but wait for a recheck. But he's cautious so I appreciate that ...AND it's not like a dental can't wait a couple months. I'm really hoping it was because she was so upset that afternoon.

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts
Well, Morgan had the 22 teeth pulled when she had a grade 4 heart murmur, so it can be done, just have to use a different anesthesia.

Nita

Nita
22 teeth! poor girl.. she's going to be like Princess, our toothless wonder. Lily has beautiful teeth.. and all of them. They just need cleaning. Molly too. The drawback to soft food. Wish I could keep a bowl of kibble down like I did with Susie and Sasha. But the toothless wonder will sit there and gum the entire bowl until it's empty. She's alpha, no one will go to the bowl while she is there... and she won't leave if there is any food left! :OMG: I tried that for a VERY SHORT time! LOL Glad to know the murmur doesn't make a big difference in daily life for your Cresties.

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
my schnoodle who is 14 yrs old has had a heart murmur for 9 years now, she has been on vasotec ever since & that kept her very stable. now w her advancing age of 14 she has progressed to heart failure & is also on a diuretic (generic form of lasix). she is breathing much better & is more comfortable. but you would NEVER guess she has a heart condition, she is quite fiesty, gets into things that she shouldn't & still runs up & down steps like a wild woman!

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
Louie has a murmur that is a 6/6 grade. The grade is not as important as the location of the problem causing the murmur within the heart. 6/6 is severe, with regard to the loudness of the murmur but the vets are never too concerned about him because of how it sounds to them-- the kinds of sounds he's making. He's fifteen, and the murmur was first noticed at age 10 or 11 and has progressed since then. Some dogs need advanced diagnostics to really get at what is happening; Louie has never had too many symptoms (coughing, etc) of congestive heart failure, but he has started falling recently. We attribute that to other problems he has (Cushing's disease and protein loss). If he were younger and/or healthier overall, I'd do a full cardio workup on him now, but he's pretty frail in general and it probably would be more stressful for him than it would be worth. What I do to keep his heart as healthy as possible is add co-q10 to his diet. There are few things you can do that are more heart healthy than this. It's expensive, but well worth it.

Nita

Nita
Thanks, I'll look into the co-q10.. and I'll talk to the vet further when we go for our follow up next month. Lily is 8, she'll be 9 in May or June.. (she's a rescue but an owner surrender.. her old vet papers say May 2004 for birthdate, her rescue papers say June 2004.. close enough.) I'm sorry to hear of so many others with heart issues.. but relieved to know how well the dogs continue to do with it. I've been watching Lily extra close these past couple weeks and she's not had any changes in her behavior so that's good. She's a pretty relaxed dog and not very hyper to start with. But she still goes out and sniffs the whole yard. She is not fond of the cold though so she comes back sooner, but has no problems jumping up on the back of the chair in the living room or standing on her back legs and spinning as I get ready to put her food down.. and she always greets us with happy tail wags and happy roos when I bring the girls home from school! Thank you all for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users