Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome to the new Senior Crested Health Care forum!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
With all the recent discussion of various seniors like Archie and Louie and the problems they face, we thought it might be a good idea to set aside a special section in Health Care just for Seniors. If you want to talk about problems with your senior dog, this is the place. Welcome!

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,230 posts
how old is considered senior ?

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
I don't think there's an age limit for posting here. If you have or have had a dog that is suffering from problems related to aging, your questions or comments or thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

Crazydowg

Crazydowg

My Precious

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationQc, Canada
Nice idea Laura. :++:Jakksmum, I read in vet literature that 7 years old is "getting old". At this age, it's good to get a vet check and bloodwork done once a year. This way, if something occurs, we'll get to see it coming and prevent.

OutiDivin

OutiDivin

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,660 posts
In the show ring a 7 year old dog is a "veteran" .. a senior - and can be shown in veteran classes ...I think a major red flag for seniors is appetite ... if they stop liking to eat what they used to, or are becoming more picky then a trip to the vet for a check might be called for. They're the best the old ones :)

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts
This is such a wonderful idea!! Both Morgan and Ace will be 9 years old this year and it's a little hard for me to think of them as 'seniors'! LOLBut both of them have grade 4-5 heart murmurs and on meds to control it. Morgan's enlarged heart worries me tho. Does anyone know if the meds will help keep it the size it is? Or will it continue to enlarge? I never even thought to ask the vet this when we found out.

Ups N Downs

Ups N Downs
  • LocationThe epicenter of Crush
Yea, a wonderful thank you to Laura for proposing the idea for this forum. Niles will be 13 this year. Thats a difficult number for me to wrap my head around.

Kimm

Kimm
Welcome to the new Senior Crested Health Care forum!Great idea! I'm not there yet but I've had seniors before and would have loved to have been able to come to one place for help.

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
Great idea!Kramer will soon be 3 and Vixen is 2, so we are a ways away from senior still.But am looking forward to the valuable info.

abbybuttons

abbybuttons

The Rat Pack's Mom

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
Great idea! Abby is 10 now and it is so hard for me to believe as she is the reason that I am in rescue today! Her last check up revealed she has an ever so slight heart murmur and because of her age she is starting to get little fatty tumors which I can never be sure are just that until they are biopsied. She still loves to eat though and will still play but I can see her starting to slow down. Zoomie games leave her winded faster than before. My little Abby Dabby Doo, my heart puppy, is getting old :;(: But then again so am I. LOL!

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
My heart dog Ruby, will be 11 this year. She has had Addison's Disease and hypothyroidism, for the past 3.5 years, and is managing well, on round the clock medication.

Tabatha

Tabatha
I think this is a wonderful idea. While not a crestie Peyton is thought to be around 10, Rambler is 7 though he def seems more like a puppy and Tucker turns 7 later this month. Arthritis is the only issue we've had so far.

Stollsilver

Stollsilver

Slave to the Nakeds

• Moderators
  • 18,713 posts
Abby will be 11 this summer and she has a grade 3 heart murmur. No meds yet, and we are seeing Poco's holistic vet now.Dr Landau worked his magic on Poco and gave him 3 years of quality life. So Abby is on cardiac support supplement plus some Chinese herbal supplements, plus she get laser acupuncture when we visit too.Rudy will be 8 and knock on wood, he's healthy. His biggest issue is being grumbly.

crestedcrazy

crestedcrazy
  • LocationHere there everywhere
great idea, Niya is 7 and is healthy other than needing a dental very soon.Woohoo will be 7 in the summer and she has a heart murmur but it has stayed steady at a grade 2-3 since we got her.Noid is my most senior at almost 9 years old and he has a heart murmur that 2 years ago was a 2-3 then last year was a 3-4 and now this year is a 4-5 so he is being monitored by the vet but so far no meds yet. And of course his kidney disease is an ongoing concern that we keep an eye on but with all this he is actually doing pretty good and knock on wood it stays like that for some time yet!

Davyde

Davyde
  • LocationStepping over the Pug
Charm is eleven, but don't anyone dare use the 'S' word around her. She still considers herself to be a little princess!Opal is definitely a senior. We estimate she is about 14, but we don't really know.

Davyde

Davyde
Would it also be possible to have a sub-forum/reference section for all the Healthcare Stickies? At the moment they fill the page for me, and I have to change my settings to see any discussion threads.

Ups N Downs

Ups N Downs

Your Furrless Leader

• Administrators
  • 22,836 posts
  • LocationThe epicenter of Crush
Ask and ye shall receive!

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
Yay!

GrandCynth

GrandCynth
  • LocationCalifornia
If someone would like to discuss an issue with their own senior dog, just start a new thread, just like you do in other areas of the forum.

Davyde

Davyde

Stray Human

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Ask and ye shall receive!

In that case, I'd like an evening discussing philosophy with Niles, A kiss from Mrs White, a hot date with GrandCynth, and a night on the tiles with Gilligan...

GrandCynth

GrandCynth
  • LocationCalifornia
:ROFL: That's all??

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.
Mischief and Echo are 11 this year and Mortisha will be eight. I really don't know where those years have gone. Mortisha is fit as a flea, though somewhat reserved in her outlook on life. Mischief's immune disease is controlled by her meds: and she's still a bossy old matriarch, and Echo, well she's happy enough most of the time in lala land, and with her meds: to keep her stable(ish).

Davyde

Davyde

Stray Human

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

:ROFL: That's all??

What more could any man ask for?:;):

Epic Blue

Epic Blue
This senior section is such a great idea. My Stewart is 12yrs old with a heart murmur of 5 out of 6 (the vets are all suprised he has made it this long) along with svr allergies i want to have as much info as possibly to keep him around for many more years. My Petrie is still only 5 years old.

tmom

tmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

FYI, my Poco passed at age 12.  He had an autoimmune disease that destroyed blood platelets.  It was managed with meds, but of course that lowers all immune response leading to secondary problems.  Still he was fine  with the meds.  On top of that he got glaucoma.  I am posting to warn people if their pup's eyes start watering when they never did before, get to an eye doctor asap.  Glaucoma in dogs progresses rapidly. I am not supporting eye surgery necessarily, just letting you know of my experience. I'll be happy to convey the details if anyone is interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users