Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

powder puff pup with slow hair growth ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
and belive me chelsey...i am more than greatful for ur and every body elses help and input !!! my problem is that i was stupid enough to not ask for help when looking for a pup.....yes , she is well put together , has a lovely front , good bite , level back and so on but i did not know what to expect in a puff baby`s coat at 8-12 weeks old ! there is not much help on the internet to show u the hair growth on a pup......so i researched her lines on the cc reg and liked the dogs in the pedigree and decided to get zookie ! yes , she mite have bad hair and can`t be shown but could never part with her now ! and i know for sure the breeder would not replace anything anyway .....so once again THANK U SOOOO MUCH .......:;):

snortlepup

snortlepup
  • LocationChicago, IL
OH MY GOODNESS she is adorable. I have a powderpuff with a terrier coat. Her hair does't grow long at all. It looks similar but a lot more coarse, with little tufty hairs on her head. This is an advantage to me in my opinion, because I don't get the skin issues of a hairless or the grooming needs of a powderpuff. She technically would never need to be groomed except I like her in a pony cut. :)[ATTACH=CONFIG]17137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17138[/ATTACH]This is about as long as I've let her hair get. So, your pups hair is already longer than that.[ATTACH=CONFIG]17139[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17140[/ATTACH]These are after she's been groomed. And her hair on her head still seems to be growing. It has gotten thicker and fuller since the last year and so have her furnishings, but not by much as you can see.

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
hello vespa...thank u soo much for the pics.....just adorable and i can see on her coat where the name terrier coat comes from and i got to say that zookies hair is totally different....she grows longer hair all over but just not as long and puffy looking yet as other puff`s her age....and she dosn`t feel corse at all.....i remember when i first toughed her as i thought she dosn`t feel like any other dog i ever touched as she feels so soft and silky ::): i think she will grow a longer coat but just not as full and long as what u see in the show ring.....but really would not mind if she would stay the way she is now as grooming is sooo much easier.....no daily brushing and she gets a bath and blow dry once a week when i bath my hh boy ::): will keep posting pics of her so u can all see the changed as she grows ::D:xxx

Amysmile23

Amysmile23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

faulty coats can happen even with a good pedigree, i know some good breeder who have still gotten faulty haired powder puffs... shame if wanted a show pup, but shouldnt the breeder have been able to tell this at 8 or so weeks? or cant you tell at this age?

Could you please explain what is a "faulty" puff?

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts

Well that is a big question! lol! The standard says that the coat should be a moderate one that is not excessive or kinky or curly. I personally like a thicker coat with a heavy undercoat that is not cottony. I like the hair to be a good thick hair shaft that lays well and is straight. The undercoat shouldn't be light or poofy either. I have a girl with a coat I do not care for. She has a wave to is and the undercoat is too cottony. She is harder to keep in full coat. However, I have two puff sisters who both have great stick straight heavy coats that are easy care! That is what I look for. Too many breeders fight bad coats. I would show you pics of my good coats, but for some reason I can't post links or pictures on here anymore! lol

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~www.klearlychinesecresteds.350.com~*~~~~~*~~~~~*
P1010049-1.jpg

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts

In my signature, MooMoo has the correct coat and Brinely has the cottony coat.

• Usagikira likes this

*~~~~~*~~~~~*~www.klearlychinesecresteds.350.com~*~~~~~*~~~~~*
P1010049-1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users