Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

powder puff pup with slow hair growth ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
this is a pic of her teeth i took this morning...sorry its a bad pic but the best i could do on my own.......::D:Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
and i got to agree about the hh and still having long hair as my zino is a hh and has very long hair on his crest , feet and tail ! as for zookies hair on her chest...its thick hair and very fluffy......the only thin bit is right under her chin start of the neck.....but even my pug and shar pei pups used to have this at this age......so thought it is just a puppy thing

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
and here a belly shot i just took.....Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
and here a not so happy zookie all fed up with this picture taking ...hahahahaPosted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
appears to be curving caudally (to the back) Jacks is more straight and forward than that. Hard as puppy teeth and so cant compare 100% but got a feeling might be puff teeth? but the again this is 100% a hairless http://i467.photobuc...ffa_4/bite2.jpg nor curving backwords but straight down. Another hairless with good teeth http://i190.photobuc...ritenner001.jpgthis is a pic that was posted on this forum a good few years ago i think of a 5 months old dog who appeared to be a wrongly coated puff http://i67.photobuck...er/IMG_0203.jpg and based on the response from crested people I know about coat and teeth they all said this was a wrongly coated puff. basically from this one can see that it isnt that easy esp. with puppy teeth always as some hl still got good teeth. but majority of the time if a tooth is curling backwards its a puff and if forward like a tusk its a hl.

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
bit hard to see the belly shot, does she have fuzzy hair all over? or naked skin on most of tummy and some of thighs? just to show my doggy to compare with (ignore the fatty belly, wrong angle lol)Posted Image

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
she has the same fluff all over her body but it is a little thinner on her belly......let me try to sent another pic Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.usit looks a little like she has a double coat all over her body but only a single one on her belly......:dizzy:

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
nah to me it looks like a single coat all over as it is very thin unlike a standard powderpuff. but this hair is defo thinner underneath on her chest area than the rest.

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
i can see the skin through the coat on the belly and chest but on the rest of her body the coat is very thick......can a single coat be thick ? i thought it would be thin and show the skin through it ? :dizzy: lol

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
this is Jack when hair grown a fair amount, not sure how that compares... Big Al another HAIRY monster on this forum is black like yours and might be easier to see difference with himPosted ImagePosted ImageHere is big Al (hope its okay to post this? assume it is :D as might have been shared on here before)http://sphotos-b.ak....104932687_n.jpg

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
thanx for that....i got to say that big al looks very much like zookie......shorter hair on top and longer hair on legs and head.....and can`t belive how fluffy jack gets.....super cute

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
Big al can grow out super long (I assume) just like Jack, with equal length all over (once cut to same length) previously both have been in pony cuts, and we both give up before we can see how long can grow :P as they matt sooooooooooo badly

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
i love the pony cut....it is super cute ! can`t wait to see what zookie will look like in a few month time.....this will be an interesting journy for sure hahahaha......thank u so much for ur input tina ::):

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
Dont know what my input is worth really :P but im intruiged to find out and help where and if can :)

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
::D: it is interesting to me 2 as i am new to this breed......i used to show and breed shar pei so know allot about there genetics and problems....but with the chinese crested i kind of start right at the beginning !

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests

::D: it is interesting to me 2 as i am new to this breed......i used to show and breed shar pei so know allot about there genetics and problems....but with the chinese crested i kind of start right at the beginning !

Oh I love shar pei...a little subject change.:oops:

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts
I can definitely say that the teeth are not that of an hl. Hl's canines are straight, tgose definitely curve back. She also does appear to have a double coat to me. I would say based on the pics I am 99.99% sure she is not hairless.That said, just bc a breeder claims to have show dogs it doesn't always mean they know what they are talking about.... what kind of contract did you sign if she was sold as a show dog? Does it state what happens if she doesn't turn out to be show quality? For example my contract says I will replace the puppy or pay back the difference in the show vs the pet price onceI have proof the puppy is spayed.
  • OutiDivin likes this

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
the contract states nothing like this ........and she is sold to me with full paperwork .......i was told she has a perfect puff coat before i got her and now i was told by the breeder that she thinks zookie will never have a long coat ! i could never part from her now as love her to much ! was also wondering if a bad coat can be bread out ? in shar pei the long coat gen was the dominant gen....so is this the same case with the cc ? could she ever produce show pups if put to the right male ? sorry for far to many questions ::D:

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
from what i know about genetics if you cross a poor example even with a good one (from what you know about the dog based on pedigree that is) you have a higher chance of getting same qualities in the pups. that doesnt mean you will get any with short hair but the chance is higher than if you dont. and faulty dogs shouldnt be bred, so many cresties out there and so many bad matings. One should really only mate their dogs to better the breed.

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts
The coat really isn't something a reputable breeder would breed. Faults and different issues can be worked on and improved, but really its something that takes a lot of breed knowledge and experience. Its not a way you want to start. Breeding should be to improve the breed and a terrier coat just isnt something you should continue or start with.... why is the breeder not more concerned about this? Are the parents finished champions? Have they been health tested for PRA and PLL along with yearly CERFs? I am just wondering if this is a reputable breeder?

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
the breeder dose all health test`s yes...would never have a pup from non tested parents !!! the breeder shows but not as much as needed to make a champ ...it is more of a little hobby ! i dont got anything against people who breed from health tested animals that may not be perfect enough to be a champ or show dog but who enjoy breeding for the pet market as long as they keep resposebilety of all animals they did breed ! i had two litter of my pug and i used to breed and sometime sahow shar pei....sold all my pups as pets only and yes , i had a few pups come back to me that have been rehomed by my self ! i would never let one of my pups go to a shelter !!! as ii did state before...health is the most importand thing :-) and i got to state that i always sold pups for much less than a show breeder sels there pups and my babies dont leave me till they are fully vaccinated ! i dont work and i spent all my time with my dogs .....they are my life and having a litter now and than again is just a little hobby to be honest :-)....as is showing....:-)

l1ltaral1l

l1ltaral1l

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,100 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA
You opened the discussion on the coat, so Chelsey (as an approved Crush breeder) was giving her response.

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
There are recessive genes, and sometimes faulty coats happen. It just strikes me as odd that the breeder seems to think that the coat is a typical puff coat.

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
oh...i did not mean to come accross as having a go at any one.....just did try to explain my self :-).....i am want to know opinions of people that is why i ask a question :-)...so i am really sorry if i did come accross in a bad way ::(:the breeder of zookie seams to think that black cc`s dont got the same good coat as other colours.......and she thinks zookie will have a longer coat but nor like u would expect in the show ring ........but i find every breeder has different ideas and oppinions......it will for sure be interesting to see what zookie will look like in month to come......::):

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts
It is actually the opposite. Black coats actually have a tendency to be heavier and thicker than other colors. Have a look at the show puffs on the chinese crested registry and you will see that dark coats don't tend to be shorter.If someone sold you a puppy as a show dog if something is wrong with it there should be protection in the contract for both you and the breeder. I am a person who shows as a hobby, I show very little at times but I am still finishing dogs and trying hard to make sure I have nice dogs if I do choose to breed and only letting ones go as show dogs if I am prepared to back up my opinion that the pup is show quality and can finish. Any dog with akc papers can technically show..... doesn't really mean that they are going todo well in the ring. I honestly was just trying to help. A lot of people don't know what to ask or look for when purchasing their first show puppy. We are ALL always learning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users