Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

powder puff pup with slow hair growth ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
ok...this is the 3. time i am trying to ask this question and every time i am finished typing i get told the message is to short....so here we go again ! i got a 5 month old black and tan powder puff girl and i noticed that her coat seams much shorter than most puff pup`s of her age ! why could this be ? do some lines have shorter coats ? do the black in general have shorter and a more corse coat ? right now her coat seams to be the same length as it was at 3 month old...nothing much changed and i expected much longer hair by now ?! i never brush her coat when it`s dry as i know this can break the hair ! i wash her once a week and blow dry her after :-).......do some puppy`s have shorter hair until there adult coat comes in ? or will she always have a shorter coat to others ? hope some one can come up with an answer hahahaha.......thanx guy`s ...xxx

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
Could you post some pics?

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
i will try to up load some later.......got to figure out how it works first...hahahaha

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.usthis is my baby zookie 2 weeks ago......

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
and just took this picture of her today......5 month oldPosted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Usagikira likes this

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.usthis is my baby zookie 2 weeks ago......

sorry...this was not 2 weeks ago but 4-5 weeks ago....lol

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
i think she might be a faulty coated puff, which if that is the case means less grooming :p some dogs get longer hair eventually if faulty or might stay same length and be a shorter coated puff. hard to say really and not my area of expertise just seen a few around is all. or maybe is normal and will grow into her fur as she age. but a puff is usually a lot hairier and puffier at 5 months. either way, she suuure is a cutie pie :D

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
well...guess i got to wait and see what her hair decides to do :p....eather way , she is the sweetest little baby ever and i love her to bits :-).......:

OutiDivin

OutiDivin

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,660 posts
She is a "terrier coated puff" her hair won't grow long like you see in the showring - it's just her coat type. She's pretty though, I like her face!
  • Laura likes this

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
she comes from good show lines and both sire and dam do well in the show ring...so assumed to get a show baby.....guess i can forget the show ring than ::(:....her hair is very very soft and don`t feel hard ore corse in any way ......the only differents to a normal coated puff is just that she has short hair ........ still living in hope it mite grow hahahaha....::D:

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
faulty coats can happen even with a good pedigree, i know some good breeder who have still gotten faulty haired powder puffs... shame if wanted a show pup, but shouldnt the breeder have been able to tell this at 8 or so weeks? or cant you tell at this age?

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
i didn`t pick her up till she was 15 weeks old due to a holiday comitment of mine......i did wonder why her hair did look the same at that age as it did at 10 weeks old but just thought she mite be a little slow ! my pug girl did not really look like a pug should untill she was 2 years old .......she was a skinny long legged girl...lolzookie comes from a repeat mating and not one of the other pup`s had a short coat......is it wrong of me to still hope thinks could change once she gets older ?

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
I believe the breeders should have been able to assess this at that age esp. if you who knows less about the breed notices something. have you talked to them about his? my thoughts are that if you had hopes of a show pup then they shouldnt have given you false hope nor full price of the pup based on what i have read from breeders in Norway. My breeder for example saw that my pups nose was shorter than normal and thus sold this pup as a pet dog and not for show, he grew into his nose a bit more but it is still a bit shorter than it should be but i suppose i could still have showed him with this but was strictly told for pet home. I cant say whether will suddenly start to grow but might look like it will never be a typical show puff. does she have an undercoat at all? I know some faulty puffs lack this. not sure what a terrier coat is exactly as dont call it this in Norway.
  • OutiDivin likes this

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
she def has a double coat .......not sure why the breeder did not notice anything wrong with her coat...i was even told that she has a perfect puff coat ......so really don`t know what is going on ! she is perfect in every other way and it really is a shame about her coat.....and yes i did lose out with the showing but she is healthy and happy and guess this is much more importand :++:

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
that it is indeed :D and the positive side as i mentioned is less grooming :D would be my perfect puff haha

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
yes....so far she needs no brushing in between her weekly bath....so very easy for me ! my hh boy needs much for grooming ....::D:

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
argh tell me about it... I got a monster of a hairy dog and he matts soooo easily, winter is horrid as after 2 min so jammies he is ball of matts :(

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
i used to keep my boy in jammies but it gave him real bad black heads......so the only time he wears cloth now is when we are out for a walk ::D:

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
Precious little puppy!Looks more like terrier coat to me as well. Who has one on the forum.....Vespa??I doubt that its coat will ever be long and puffy, but you never know for sure. Just my guess.

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
i would love to see what a terrier coat looks like on an adult ::D:....so if any one has a pic please share it with me :++:

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
I was told my Bella has a terrier coat, she's in my siggy. A lot of people think she's a Chihuahua. She's got a nice coat that's silky and lays flat, it's all relatively short except for on the back of her neck. She doesn't have a crest or socks like most CCs have. She is 100% CC though, I even did a DNA test on her last winter just to make sure. Oh she's missing hair on her chest and its sparse on her belly.

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
I forgot to add, Bella was my first cc and I was told she was a powder puff. The person wasn't the breeder and it turns out that she was probably from a backyard breeder. I asked my vet about it when I first got Bella and she said she wasn't fluffy like she should be for a puff and she didn't think she was going to get more hair. Her hair didn't get any longer or puffier.

gasenshistar

gasenshistar

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
i just been talking to another breeder and she thinks maybe zookie is a very hairy hairless but needs to see her teeth first to comfirm this ! zookie has longer hair than bella but no where near as much as a puff should have......and her legs are very fluffy and every one always thinks she has very big feet when it is really just all hair hihihi ! thank u so much for ur message bella&marley`s mum ::): .....i also got told by the breeder that zookie will turn grey.....so looks like my baby will turn out compleatly different hahahaha.......

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
even if she is a hairy hairless though it wouldnt explain why she has so short hair (referring esp to the crest). My jack is as hairy as hhl can get and this was him at 5 ish months (i think)Posted Imagehere for sure 6 months as day before his first and last showPosted Imagebut i was going to say that she has very thin hair on her chest from the other photo as from that i thought yesterday maybe HHL or again faulty puff (no undercoat). Do you have a picture of her belly area? can show us the teeth as well and we could help assess
  • OutiDivin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users