Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

What health issues has your crestie experienced?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

dbev

dbev

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
Putting all this information is a great idea! If for no other reason than in the future, if you have a health problem, you can quickly check who else has experienced this and contact them for advice or just to compare notes! Great idea :purpthumbsup: In my case, I have so far, **thank stars, knock wood** been really, really lucky with all my guys. Even my old (approx. 14) mixed breed, Maggie, has had few health issues over the years other than a uterine infection years ago before she was spayed (and the subsequent case of mange that she got while staying at the vet's office :hothead: ). Other than that, a few fatty lipomas and a yeast infection in her ears and flea bite allergies, she's been quite healthy!Trixie and Trevor are in great health, except for some extra weight and ongoing skin issues. Oh and Trixie has receding gums by one tooth, that the vet feels she'll eventually lose.

Galadriel

Galadriel

Show Dog

• Members
  • 773 posts
Quite healthy pups here to so far :)Logan: Infected anal gland once, got better as soon as the gland was drained, and had some antibiotics. Has some problems keeping his weight up, but a recent change of food seems to be helping.Chino: Canine hypokinesis/ADHD (could be something in the genes from the father's side, but that has not been tested)Some tummy problems here and there, but nothing serious.As far as I remember that's all :)

RSVarley

RSVarley

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
HiMy powderpuff Danielle has had a complicated health history but is now the picture of health!It started with crystals on her eyeballs, then the eye dr switched her food away from lamb, then she lost all her toenails! They did grow back. It continued with a sore on her vulva with lethargy and fever, the ER vet gave her Clavamox. Then she developed a lump in her neck and more lethargy, they aspirated the lump, she was referred to a internal medicine dr. Numerous blood tests revealed inconclusive results. She had low platelets and low white blood cells, she ended up having two bone marrow aspirates because they also suspected leukemia. All through out this she was such a trooper. Then she developed a horrible skin problem which started with a little brown scab area and blossomed into a red angry area. Numerous skin scraping were done and the only thing anyone could come up with was systemic lupus erythematosus so she was put on prednisone. She stayed on it for years with many adjustments to deal with breakouts and ear infections, etc. Now she is great and been off the pred (thank goodness) for about a year, I credit her health in large part to the food I give her now - Innova green. She is 9 yo and full of energy and happy. She still looses toenails every once in a while and her platelets drop sometimes too but I know when they do because her tongue gets pale, we have to avoid too much Vit E and unfortunately that is a big ingredient in Sr. diet food.

nolesrus

nolesrus

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hairy's health historyHairy is a 10 yr old HHL, slowly becoming a true hairless in his old age. He is a big guy - 30 lbs. Not a show dog.Has had seasonal acne - have to keep him in the ac from spring to late fall. Had Terrible black heads and sores. Now developing lots of warts and skin tags.Has many enlarged glands - many biopsied - all inconclusive. Thought it was lymphoma - but that was over 2 years ago. Now we know it wasn't lymphoma. Has elevated liver enzymes - and enlarged liver - no cause found as yet. Have tried Milk Thistle - no effect; Denosyl (spelling?) which gave him explosive diarhea; Prednisone - which made his hair fall out, incontinent and bloated; Has been this way for at least 5 years. Over the last 3 years anytime he has been put on antibiotics he has seizures.Has excess skin that sags in his trachea. Everytime he drinks water he coughs and hacks until his trachea opens again. Has had this since we got him at 5 mos. of age.He is fat and happy. He is playful and affectionate. Since the only sign of liver problems only show up in blood tests and his skin problems are handled with Chlorhexiderm we just don't worry about it. We keep working on his eating vs exercise - but recently increasing the exercise and careful monitoring of his diet resulted in a 2 pound gain. But if anyone has any ideas on the liver enzymes I am all ears. My vet has checked with UF vet school and other vets. After many tests we still have no clue. Vet is also checking his thyroid.

Fabio

Fabio

Show Dog

• Members
  • 898 posts
Fabio, our one and only Crested, has dry eye in his right eye. We treat it with liquid tears and it is doing fine. He doesn't seem to mind us putting the drops in. I guess it feels good. He has some acne which comes and goes. We bath him 2-3 times a week and just try to keep his skin clean and hydrated. He had impacted anal glands when we got him. Sometimes he is sick right after his moring meal so we just give him a small amount and make him slow down...then give him the rest after a few minutes. He is 14" tall and weighs 11 lbs. Very leggy.My mother has his sister, Ting li, and she is another story. You can see her picture in Fabio's album. She has dry eye in both eyes. And her left ear does not have an ear canal. At 5 months old she is about 10" and weighs almost 6 lbs.

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
I found this very old thread and thought it was really interesting. Should we keep it going for educational purposes ? Armani - almost 5 years - Grade 1 luxating patella both sidesWas born with bi lateral inguinal hernias which resorbed themselves at around 5 months without surgeryVery poor dental dentition Mya- 3 years oldVery healthy with exception of her teeth- never hit adult top canines and never lost the top baby canines until 2.5 years of age

Ups N Downs

Ups N Downs
  • LocationThe epicenter of Crush
Wow, you dug this up from the backyard, LOL!Niles (13): Iris atrophy and the start of a cataract. Grade 3 heart murmur for the past 3 yearsVegas (6): All good so far

tinaborgen

tinaborgen

Best In Show

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
Jack (5.5 years)All around a pretty healthy dudelast time checked which was around 1 year of age he didnt have dry eyes, no patella problems noted but not checked this as of yet. no health tests performed of PRA or similar. Presumed allergies to Grains but cannot be 100% sure was not something else but all clear since elimitated all grains. limited acne throughout life but pearly cyst appearing with age on his chest :( also appearing with age is lots of "moles" darker skin pigmentation all over back shocked eerytime shave him nekkid now :p apart from that healthy dude good teeth apart from one had to pull out as became loose when chewed on a chewey bone.

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
Wow. Looking back at what I wrote about Louie in 2007, I thought he was healthy, but in retrospect it was just the beginning of many health problems he eventually had. He became very, very sick. I will update here when I have a chance, but for now you can find everything about his history at his blog: http://savelouie.blo...it-started.html

deedswan

deedswan

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationIdaho
Since the thread has been reborn, I will add to it.Daisy. Hl. 7 years. HealthyDallas is my problem child. Numerous teeth pulled. Three years ago had a stroke in his spine and was paralyzed for 6 months. Over came that and last month he was diagnosed with SLO. An autoimmune disorder in his nails. They snap off at the base leaving the exposed quick. He has lost seven nails so far and the rest will fall off shortly. This dog has a lot of heart, still runs agility, and loves it.Denver. Puppy purchase vet exam extremely healthy.

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.
Heavens, started six years ago. Where did they go. So much has happened in that time. "Mortisha", my true hairless girl, was only 2 years old. She was 8 last month and still as healthy as a horse. She still has a full set of strong teeth, and apart from nearly losing her after eating contaminated chicken jerky from China, she's not had any health problems. "Mischief",true hairless girl, now 11 years old, has an auto immune disease brought on by a booster vaccination about 4 years ago. As a result she also lost most of her teeth, and now suffers petite mal seizures. The auto immune disease causes her body to attack her muscles. This shows itself as huge lumps, some as big as hens eggs, appearing in a few hours in her muscles. Because the heart as a muscle, is also liable to be attacked in an outbreak, we don't know from one hour to the next if we'll lose her. She's on steroids and anti-seizure meds: which so far, touch wood, have kept her reasonably stable and the attacks minimal. Steroids unfortunately also have side effects long term, and her liver and kidneys are now showing signs of this. I've had several hairless rescues come in with varying degrees of skin problems. Blisters, spots, boils, long term sores, due to vaccinations and or boosters. The puffs don't seem to have these problems connected to vaccines.

abbybuttons

abbybuttons

The Rat Pack's Mom

• Members
  • 3,466 posts
Wow this is an oldieAbby turned 11 this month and since she was a puppy mill puppy came with her share of issues although compared to Mischief, Louie and others here Abby's problems seem minor. She has dry eye and I have had a few scares with annual blood draws but then on second check it would seem okay. She has had a bulging spinal disc, surgeries for swallowed items, removal of lump which to date have all been benign. Abby had the typical hairless lack of teeth but has not lost many through any dentals. Her teeth are usually good and get cleaned every other year because of her age. Angel is 8 now and very healthy. Mouthful of beautiful teeth even at 8, clear eyes, good skin with no lumps or bumps so far. Baseline blood work clear.Diesel is 4 now and also appears healthy. His teeth can get gross fast and he can have some wicked bad breath sometimes but can not find any medical reason fir it. I believe he is starting to have dry eye which will be checked at his vet appt. next week. Good skin and no concerns. He had a bottom front tooth pulled last year. His baseline blood work is clear.Bella is 3 now and so far she is doing well so far. She was only adopted a few months ago. Teeth are okay and her skin is beautiful.

Addy's Mom

Addy's Mom

Best In Show

• Members
  • 4,884 posts
I am blessedly fortunate.Addy, puff, is 7.5 years, and very healthy. She had a,dental a year ago, with only one tooth extraction. Healthy hips, knees, elbows, and baseline blood test shows a very healthy girl.Dora, hairy hairless, is just over 5.5 years. Excellent teeth, eyes, hips, knees, elbows. Blood test at age four was positive for Lyme disease; same test at age five was negative. No other health problems--and she has lovely skin.Lis

Kimm

Kimm
Wow I saw this and thought Hlboyz was back....where did she go? She gave me tons of advice when I first joined the group. I have nothing to add to the thread. Trixie is two and so far has no real health problems. Tear staining and floating rib but neither of those are a true health problem.

Laura

Laura

• Administrators
  • 10,362 posts
Here's the detail on mine: Louie, of course, is no longer with us. He died earlier this year from complications of Cushing's Disease. He also had:Canine Intestinal Lymphangiectasia and Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseRabies Vaccine-induced Ischemic Dermatopathy (a vasculitis that affected his ears, his paw pads, and some other areas of his skin).Pancreatitis Undetermined liver disease that we kept at bay with DenamarinCongestive heart failureHe was healthy until his last rabies vaccination. He went into a rapid decline after that, though symptoms started showing at about 6 months post vaccination. That means that the vaccine worked against his immune system, which eventually broke down to the point at which he no longer could fight against these diseases which, I guess, were smoldering under the surface. My other three are very healthy so far. Knock on wood, may it ever be so. I had so much despair over Louie's health, I'm overdue for a little simplicity in my life.

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada
[quote name='donnahreys;362850]Sarah: most health issues resolved after rescue only grade 1 heart murmur' date=' which is presently not causing any issues. She has slight itching skin sometimes (maybe allergies), does vomit at night if stomach is empty so we make sure to give her something just before bed; prone to stress-related constipation,. only major issue was caused by the Vet (old story) so she is pretty healthy.Lolah: has some patella issues that seem to be resolving as she is getting older; became sick due to that China pet food poisoning issue last Christmas, but generally quite healthy.,[/QUOTE']Lolah & Sarah have poor teeth from lack of care early in life and probably some genetics also. Sarah has had 5 teeth removed and her teeth cleaned under anesthetic and I will probably have Lolah's teeth clean next year.Marlah: skin issues (blackheads, whiteheads and pearly cysts); otherwise really quite healthy!Daisy: has very small pearly cysts, she is new here and from a puppy mill; she was breed a number of times starting at around 6 mons of age. so far she is fitting in well and only health issue was reaction to sutures after spay.

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
[quote name='donnahreys;820357]Lolah & Sarah have poor teeth from lack of care early in life and probably some genetics also. Sarah has had 5 teeth removed and her teeth cleaned under anesthetic and I will probably have Lolah's teeth clean next year.Marlah: skin issues (blackheads' date=' whiteheads and pearly cysts); otherwise really quite healthy!Daisy: has very small pearly cysts, she is new here and from a puppy mill; she was breed a number of times starting at around 6 mons of age. so far she is fitting in well and only health issue was reaction to sutures after spay.[/QUOTE']P.S.Both Sarah & Lolah have tear staining issues that were really horrible when they first came to my home. I found a big help with keeping their faces shaved very short and also use Angels Eyes

Shell

Shell

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 5,868 posts
I haven't been on in ages but saw this post and thought I'd add.Dargo, my special heart dog and first crested was the healthiest boy for 3 years until he showed signs of paralysis in his back legs and severe pain in his back and neck. We lost him within 5 days of being diagnosed with intervertabral disk disease. What he actually had was Myelomecia, which is where the spine begins to liquify. There is no cure, no surgery and we had to put him to rest. :(A year later we adopted his brother who was returned to the rescue. We knew he could carry the disease with it being genetic, but the vets said it was so rare that I wasn't to worry, though I watched his every move like a hawk. At 8 years of age he too started showing signs and within a few weeks we had to end his suffering. He also had a grade 3 heart murmur. This disease is brutal, so painful for them, and so terribly hard to watch them go through. It may be years before I can think about taking in another one, but I know I can't live without a crested.Our crested/cross, Rygel, is now 6 years old and made of steel. His only health issue was a cyst on his foot which cleared up on it's own.

Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 10,183 posts
Oh, Shell, I cried when I reread the posts. My heart broke for your losses then and now. So good to know you are here.

Florrie

Florrie

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
Magee allergy problems (ragweed and mold); also vomits if his stomach is empty too long (problem their is that he's such a fussy eater he'll just look at food and walk away---I cook for him because he flat-out refuses any kind of kibble). Otherwise he's a healthy 1 1/2 year little gentleman. This thread is amazing--so nice to know that we all have similar problems and that we're not alone

PrettyPuff

PrettyPuff

Puff has environmental allergies, heart murmur, and a grape sized lipoma on her chest.

Oh and she's covered in pearly cysts (not a major medical condition but worth noting)

Edited by PrettyPuff, 15 January 2014 - 04:49 AM.

yecartmannew

yecartmannew

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSomerset UK

Gizmo (age 4) - (possibly a cross breed as he is huge) - Neutered at 9 months, no adverse reaction to anaesthetic, had all his puppy shots and a booster at 12 months (except rabies as we are in the UK), no reactions but no vaccinations since, as mentioned by a couple of others, if he has an empty tummy he will vomit bile (most often occurs on a weekend because they have their breakfast later - BAD MUMMY), terrible skin, sensitive to most ingredients in commercial dog food so is now on raw, with cereal free limited ingredient natural treats, has missing teeth but has not had any tooth "problems"

Fidget (age 6) - we had her spayed when I got her at 5 years, no reaction to anaesthetic, had all her vaccinations up until I got her at age 5, wasn't told of any reactions, luxating patella on both sides, when we got her she walked funny and kept flicking her legs, however since we have had her and she has been getting plenty of exercise she looks completely normal so we are hoping she will continue to do well, good skin, not sure about food sensitivy since she eats the same diet as Gizmo, has missing teeth but has not had any tooth "problems"

RICKYSmomma

RICKYSmomma

RICKYSmomma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Ricky 2 year old male HHL: Elevated Liver enzymes for no definitive reason (maybe due to allergies?), IBD due to food allergies, severe food and environmental allergies (will lick himself to the point of blisters, vomit, diarrhea, ears feel like there burning) currently doing extremely well on supplements and raw diet with no carbs/grains! Had pneumonia in summer 2012 for no reason was on Doxycycline for a month! Cannot handle the drug metacam (injections or orally), Cannot handle the drug Hydromorphone (injections), May 2013 had a mystery illness for 24 hours that I honestly thought he was going to die! Came home from work was fine... hour later he was lying flat on the ground and his skin was burning to the touch, his lymph nodes were so huge you could see them and he was not getting up for anyone! Called the vet I work for... he knows I have a pretty much full pharmacy for the dogs at home... told me to give antibiotic injection, cool him down and go to emerg if he doesnt perk up... did that within an hour he was sitting up and by the morning he was acting normal just his glands were still huge.... did blood work... totally normal... by that evening his lymph nodes were normal again!

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
Sarah: heart murmur 2nd degree Aortic stenois, some teeth extracted, eye staining, ear infections (floppy ears), she is also a worrier and when stressed will vomit bile (controlled with small amounts of food, and an evening "treat" so that she doesn't have an empty stomach for a long time)

Lolah: loves to eat (sl overweight), eye lashes ingrown (managed with shaving hair), eye staining, teeth extraction, ear infections (floppy ears) and skin masses (removed and benign)

Marlah: feral, few teeth, skin acne

Darlah (Daisy): deaf, I believe she has some vision issues (she may have been thrown down some stairs), incision infected after spay,

My girls are all rescue and came to me unkept, not healthy and uncared for. Most of their issues have been controlled with good food, good hygiene and up-to-date Vet care AND LOTS OF PATIENCE.

I do not believe that these issues are all related solely because they are CCs (except for skin acne); I think that any breed of dog that is brought up in horrible environments, breed without regard and poorly cared for will have similar issues.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Donnah, Sarah-Dash, Lolah-Dash, Marlah-Dash & Daisy-Dash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users