Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Hello,I am new to this site. We have a powder puff crested, he is sooo cute & the best kept secret as far as personality, disposition, etc. He does like to eat dog poop--- yucko! also, having issues w going poop in the house off & on. We got him when he was 4 mo old & he is now 10 mo. He learned very quickly to go pee outside but the poop has been more of a challenge- not sure why. Any suggestions? Also he is more on the bigger size of a chinese crested- thought he would be smaller. We do have another dog, she is a almost 14 yrs, toy size schnoodle, female. Any input would be appreciated.Thanks!

porterk

porterk
  • LocationMichigan
Hi there and welcome to Crush!! I have a poop-eating puff, too (yes, yucko!!!). Well, I don't really allow him to eat poop, but I have to be very pro-active in picking it up immediately (that's really the only way to deal with it if you have a poo-eater). As for issues inside, does he like treats??? My Porter, my HHL, likes to "hold it" all day. The best way for me to get him to go outside is to take him out with a potty treat. He LOVES treats and will go on demand if he knows I have one in my hand. I use Charlie Bear Liver treats - they're only 3 calories and 3 ingredients (great for incentives so you don't feel guilty giving a few of them a day and great if you have any allergy concerns, like us).I wish you lots of luck and can't wait to see pictures!!Tracey

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hello, and welcome to the forum!!

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
yes, i am proactive too & pick it up right away outside--(i've learned). also, he goes poop in the house if i am not watching him. he KNOWS better though. he gets a treat everytime he goes outside. i have the 1/2 calorie treats. soon as i figure out how to post pics i will get one on here. this group seems to be very interactive. i just joined last night. very fun & informative! :++:

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I'm glad you are enjoying the group!!

Kimm

Kimm
newbieWelcome to Crush. Can't wait to see the pics of your pups. I met a shnoodle once and she was just precious. .

l1ltaral1l

l1ltaral1l

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,100 posts
  • LocationBethlehem, PA
Welcome to Crush! Can't wait to see your babies =)

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
Welcome!

acetoo

acetoo

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
Hello and welcome!

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,230 posts
welcome!

Puffalicious Momma

Puffalicious Momma

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 9,498 posts
Welcome !!

morag

morag

The Welsh Wench

• Members
  • 17,217 posts
Posted Image

Hairy Junebugs

Hairy Junebugs

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 5,335 posts
Hi and welcome!

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
Well, just keep working at it I guess but I also think food is a good way to get it done. I get my dogs out in the morning - and I mean straight outside - to potty. And before they come in to eat. They go to bed pretty empty so it's a big incentive to get their potty done and come inside for YUMMY breakfast! I make sure they are out long enough, I go out and walk around with them so they don't just sit by the door to be let back in.... pretty soon they are squatting.... not feeling rushed.... and if it is light I am picking up and they will run around and snuffer out poop and practically point, helping me out lol - so I can get done that much faster. Some years back I had a rescue who with the onset of dementia became a ravenous poo eater so I literally counted to be sure I got every smidgeon of it and the dogs knew I wasn't going in until I got it all, so they became pretty attuned to what it was all about. So about the only thing I can think of it to wait him out until he goes and yes, use feeding time as an incentive to get it done. I know a lot of folks feed then let outside to potty so if he doesn't get it done before feeding and you have given him plenty of time, then straight outside after feeding? Between that time frame would be "potty time" and you could wait him out somewhere in there, so he doesn't go in the house? Sooner or later he will realize the sooner he poops the sooner he eats! I had one who took forever to get his innards under control, but once he did no problems, so some take longer than others;)Just to add, that I always praise when I see them poop outside too.

bailey

bailey
i just posted an album. not sure how you all get your pictures to show when you reply to a post?

PrincessFifi

PrincessFifi
  • LocationWest Texas
Welcome! I saw the pic in your album, your babies are too sweet! I don't have poop eater or pups the poo in the house so I'm not much help. I guess just making sure you take him out enough and not give him the option of pooing in the house. That's all I can think of. I take my girls out Atleast every couple of hours, but I am also a stay at home mom so I'm here all the time. Do you free feed or are they fed at a certain time?

PrincessFifi

PrincessFifi

Fifi Lexi Howie Paisley

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

i just posted an album. not sure how you all get your pictures to show when you reply to a post?

I use my Flickr to post pics, not sure how else to.... One of the other members might have more advice on this :)

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
Welcome to the forum! The key with housebreaking is to take it into your responsibility to prevent any accident from happening. This means if you cannot supervise him closely, he should be in a crate or pen. Another alternative, and helps with bonding, is putting a harness on him and attaching a leash between you, tethered to your belt loop. Allow routine, scheduled potty breaks; and make sure to praise lavishly when he goes. If he is indoors and begins to have an accident (and you need to catch them in the act for this to be effective), immediately pick them up and move them to the proper location (be it a pee pad, or outdoors, etc.) Dogs thrive on routine and catch on quickly, it will only take a few days to a week on average with diligent supervision before they've caught on. It's important to feed at the same time, too, so as to make their BMs more predictable. Hope that helps!! See you around! ::):
  • Lov4Harley likes this

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thanks Puff. i have been doing that for awhile now. when it seems like he has the hang of it i give him a little freedom & then we have an accident in the house. he is 10 months, he should get it by now! GRRR.. getting frustrated. no problems at all with going outside to pee, in fact he caught on really fast with that.

bailey

bailey

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
the one that is pooping in the house is my 10 month old crested, not my 14 yr old schnoodle. i feed both my dogs twice a day same time.

Lov4Harley

Lov4Harley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I’m new and joined bc I rescued my Harley from a yard sale. She was in a hot garage in 90’ heat with the sun from a window beating down on her. She was 14 was then now she’s 19 was.
We have a problem with potty training and poo-eating. She’s on a set feeding schedule and she is taken out before & after feedings. She’s taken out as soon as she let out of her crate in the morning and before bedtime at night. I’ve tried treats, the bell ringing, tethering and crate time when I can’t watch her. We go for walks and we go outside or 30 minutes at a time and still she comes right back inside and goes. She’s smart bc every time I go potty she will come in with me and go on the floor. Ugh.
Please help with some more ideas. I love my baby so much but I’m at my wits end. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users