Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stranger comments and questions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
Do any of you with cresties get funny comments from strangers? I always feel a need to educate them about the breed."What happened to your dog?""Why did you shave your dog?"from the other day "He's not hairless! He has hair on his head and feet!""Are you sure he isn't a chihuahua?"People also seem weird about the fact that I dress Gizmo.Any favorite silly things people ask or say? I guess I find it humorous, but I could see how it could get annoying. But don't even get me started on "ugly dog" comments, boils my blood. ;)

snortlepup

snortlepup
  • LocationChicago, IL
Well, Vespa is not a hairless.. Well I'm not sure what she is, and apparently people find her to be strange. I've heard " She's a chihuahua!""That dog has a stupid haircut.""What IS that?""She looks like Cruella de Vil.""What a weird looking dog."

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
[quote name='snortlepup;740413]Well' date=' Vespa is not a hairless.. Well I'm not sure what she is, and apparently people find her to be strange. I've heard " She's a chihuahua!""That dog has a stupid haircut.""What IS that?""She looks like Cruella de Vil.""What a weird looking dog."[/QUOTE']Well, she is a cutie! Is she full CC or a mix? The DNA tests seem cool if you're unsure.

Mona83

Mona83
I got a comment the other day. A man asked with a confused look on his face "is he supposed to not have hair?" I told him "he DOES have hair, on his head n feet and tail" then he said he thought i shaved my chihuahua like that. I told him "i can understand how people from a small town like this would not know about a rare breed, kinda sad" then i walked away. It just got to me the way he just kept staring at him. But i am more than prepared to say what i have to say to uneducated people. Lol.

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
You know, it's actually interesting,.....I got my first crested, a rescue, 14 years ago. I've endured so many rude people and their remarks over the years. Certainly, back then, cresteds were very rare. I've noticed as I've gotten older, people approach me, and my hairless cresteds, in a much different manner. No longer do I get rude remarks....of course people are interested, and ask questions, but I never get the face to face insults of yester year. I don't know if it's because I now intimidate folks, or my age makes them more respectful! :ROFL: Either way, it makes me happy!

dappledgray

dappledgray

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I like to tell people who ask ridiculous questions that we put Monty in the washing machine and I probably should have followed the washing instructions that came with him 'cause he came out looking the way he does! Kids love that answer - but then I tell them the real story, of course.I've actually never had weird questions about Monty...people just think he's so cute. And a LOT of people say "Oh! Chinese Cresteds look a lot better than I thought they would!" which gives me a good laugh every time...I wonder what they'd say if I said that kind of thing about their naked wrinkly toothless human babies! ;) ;)

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
I take Luna to school to pick up my boys because we live in the country so it is a great way to socialize her. Some kids love her and i enjoy explaining about her breed. Some laugh at her clothes and i see some parents staring at her in puzzlement. A little girl did say, " what have you done to your dog" but i prefer that to the sidelong glances. I can tell some think she is strange looking but i think they are just lacking in taste.I do agree about the baby comment, i would never dream of being rude about someones ugly kid but then I wouldnt be rude about their dog either. I wasnt raised to be ill mannered!

Anti

Anti

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Oh jeez, I've had my share of the rude ones. I think I posted about it before... somewhere. However, one that completely caught me off-guard and got me laughing was "Hey! She has David Bowie hair!"

speakstrange

speakstrange

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
people always call Mariah ugly. I just remind them that they look worse. no joke... nobody calls her ugly without me insulting them back, I get soooo angry!! people are so stupid, it is like looking in someones pram and saying 'oh gee your baby is hideous'! you just wouldn't do it. so there is no difference with dogs.here and there I get some nice people calling her gorgeous. and she is ::): just like all the cresteds! what ignorant dopey people who are so narrow minded that they cannot appreciate the unique beauty of this special breed <3

speakstrange

speakstrange

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
although.. it is funny when they say Mariah has a mullet. LOL. because it is so true

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
Cynth, I was just wondering the same thing. No one said anything "off" about my hairless except for Albi when I first had him, not for a long time. People do a big wow over the CC mixes and large nekkies and the xolos. I had a lady say the other day that Dulce looked like one of those..... chupa things.... and I told her that most of them sighted/killed probably were xolos or xolo mixes of some sort so yeah, she does :) She was quite fascinated by her mohawk and double back dewclaws. Maybe some of it is our own demeanor how folks approach our hairless. And CCs are certainly not rare anymore or unknown.I do like to educate them about the breed, what breeds are in my hairless mixes, and the other nekkie breeds when they ask. I think they can more relate to them as dogs with a different "coat" that way. I get lots of compliments on my puff boy too - lol, yes he also has a mullet as I keep it cropped short in the front hehehe!

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA
I guess we all have to think back to when we first heard of CCs. We were all probably puzzled about them too, but I do agree it is NO excuse for rudeness!. When I hear the "ugly" dog comment I say to them " Look at Bonnie's face and tell me she is ugly!" and mostly Bonnie will start to dance on her back legs for attention and start that smiling! They always go away loving her!

Kimm

Kimm

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,329 posts
Being a puff Trixie doesn't get the same kinds of comments as a HL but people are still confused when they see her. I've had people pull over in their car and ask, "what is that?" and when I tell them I get surprised comment about ugly dog competitions etc. Mostly people just seem confused.

ColleenT

ColleenT

Fairy Dogmother

• Members
  • 16,463 posts
  • LocationEastern PA
Humans are mostly Skin. We only have a crest. Humans wear clothing b/c we don't have fur. Cresties wear clothing for the same reason. why not dress them in cute clothing? I find it odd that so many people think a hairless dog is weird when they are more like humans than furry dogs are.

DebbsHereNow

DebbsHereNow

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,149 posts
  • LocationGlen Mills, PA

Humans are mostly Skin. We only have a crest. Humans wear clothing b/c we don't have fur. Cresties wear clothing for the same reason. why not dress them in cute clothing? I find it odd that so many people think a hairless dog is weird when they are more like humans than furry dogs are.

Wow Colleen! you hit it right on the nose!

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
At a dog show a little boy says to his mom, "look its my little pony". I thought that was very cute. He was talking about Vixen.

Crazydowg

Crazydowg

My Precious

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationQc, Canada
When I go out in public, I'd say 70% of people knows the breed and they are delighted to meet one for the first time of their life. I get a looooot of smiles and laughter. They ask me if they may take a picture of her and some put themselves into the pic with Gaila, I'm delighted.But when I get the 30% others (one after the others) whose politely and intriguely asking on and on "Wath's the breed?" and "Do you shave her?", I get tired of answering the samething on and on and on.One particullar time, I began to think that I'd have a "I'M A CHINESE CRESTED DOG AND YES, I'M NATURALLY NAKED !" quoted on the back of some of her t-shirt.::D:Maybe Crestedcrazy could help me out on this one! He, he!

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts

I totally agree!

Anti

Anti

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

"I'M A CHINESE CRESTED DOG AND YES, I'M NATURALLY NAKED !" [/B]quoted on the back of some of her t-shirt.::D:Maybe Crestedcrazy could help me out on this one! He, he!

Oh, I think you're on to something here, Crazydowg!! That is a brilliant idea and I would have to get one of those!!

Pariss

Pariss
OMg speakstrange Mariah is BEAUTIFUL!! Keep ignoring those morons :)

Vixen

Vixen

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
[quote name='Anti:740534][QUOTE=Crazydowg;740524]One particullar time' date=' I began to think that I'd have a [B']"I'M A CHINESE CRESTED DOG AND YES, I'M NATURALLY NAKED !" [/B]quoted on the back of some of her t-shirt.::D:Maybe Crestedcrazy could help me out on this one! He, he![/QUOTE]Oh, I think you're on to something here, Crazydowg!! That is a brilliant idea and I would have to get one of those!![/QUOTE]Same here.

Mona83

Mona83

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I wish more people around here knew about the breed. Then i wouldnt get the confused looks. I wouldnt care if they were just curious then id be happy to answer any questions. But this small town i live in most people are so narrow minded and dont get out much i guess. you would think that they at least watch tv every now and then but they are completely clue less. Never seen or heard of a crestie. But Turk is about to change this town up a bit! ;)

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Just this past Christmas, we took our maiden voyage in our new motorhome. We went to Pismo beach for a week, and of course brought the dogs. One particular day, we took them to run on the beach for the first time, ever. I had all three in matching Zebra print jammies with red trim. There were lots and lots of people walking the beach as it was an unseasonable, beautiful sunny day, although a bit nippy. We couldn't walk for more than 10 feet at a time, without being stopped by folks.....of course the zebra jammies caught everyones eyes straightaway, as that was always the first thing out of their mouths! I was very quick to mention they were hairless underneath, and needed them for warmth. Everyone was intrigued....so of course, many times I had to show one of the dog's hairless skin. Some asked if they could touch. Everyone smiled and laughed, and left with nice compliments. It truly was a breath of fresh air!

Orsi&Lovely

Orsi&Lovely

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
My favourite about my powderpuff when I said she is a chinese crested (in Hungarian the breed is called chinese bald dog): "When will your dog's fur fall out?" And more people asked it and they thought it seriously..

Betsycc

Betsycc

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,445 posts
You gotta try to laugh - most speak from ignorance not malice. I bet 3 zebras running along a beach really got attention. Anyone take pix of your trio?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users