Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

pup medical kits

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada
OK I am getting my puppy med kit in order, so 1. benadryl (liquid for allergies or ?, and how much?; 2. pepcid ac (cut tablet in 4) for upset tummy (if pup still eating and drinking (if vomiting continues for greater than 2 days see Vet may be due to bowel obstruction (may require surgery)3. constipation use hair ball solution for cats & increase fluids by giving soft food, adding tuna juice to water or using a fresh water dispenser; 4. tweezers5. q-tips6. hydrogen peroxide for wound cleansing7. zinc paste for small abrasionswhat else do you suggest?Sarah just had a constipation issue. she was vomiting, eating grass, and began to eat and drink less. the Xray showed her stomach & colon full and because of the backup her full stomach was nausea to her. After talking with the Vet, I realized that we are so usually in tuned to our pups that if we had the right products we could do the first line medical treatments at home, and if they didn't resolve then go to the Vet..

igpodet

igpodet

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,355 posts
Resue Remedy .. Bach Flowers Arnica , pill and gel Aloe Vera Gel Vick Sterile solutionBandagesAntiseptic wipesVET PHONE NUMBER !!Bi-CarbVinegarAnti -histamineTick removerCough medicineKaogelElectrolitesKalms .. for owners!!!Sorry I'm tired now, cant think properly!! :lol:

Stollsilver

Stollsilver
Great idea! Igpodet what are these used for?Arnica, vicks, bi-carb, vinegar :!: , kaogel

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.
You missed out the brandy/whisky for the owner :lol:

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
Hmmm... let's see some things one might add... Benedryl or antihistimine at home, car and purse. Even if your dog just gets bitten (doesn't have to be allergic) this is a good thing. I worry about them getting into a mound of fire ants mostly away from home. 1 mg per lb and go OVER rather than under cuz it needs to be EFFECTIVE and it not an item with problems of overdosing.Betadine, iodine (to add to water) for sterile flushing.Malaseb or a pharmaseb spray or flush - basically an antibacterial/antifungal product.Antibiotic ointment.I prefer an emollient which will also act as a barrier to cover a sterilized area if it cannot be bandaged, and like emu oil or coconut oil or olive oil, etc. Pepcid ACSterile eye wash.Tresaderm for ear infections, ear wash for clearing debris.An antistypic gel (for nail rips)1 percent hydrocortisone cream for itchy rashes (then cover)Eye antibiotic solution.Sulfadene.and most importantly an e collar of some type so that you can prevent them from attending their own wounds...Lots of little teeshirts and such for covering.Charcoal biscuits. Milk Thistle.

igpodet

igpodet
Sorry I didnt say what they were for :oops: Vick is great for bruises, as well as the obvious chest rub for colds and coughs, very useful to put a little on chest so fumes knock out "interesting" smells .. like in season bitches!!Bi-carb is for Bee stings... once the sting has been removed with tweezers... as it neutralises the acid in the venom.Vinegar is for wasp stings .. which are alkaline ... bathe the area with the appropriate remedy.Arnica, Apis Mel, and good old Rescue Remedy are homeopathic remedies useful for stings too.Arnica is good to stop bruising, and for shocks and emotional upsets.Kaogel is a Kaolin and Morphine mix for stopping a runny tum,and stomach aches.

Stollsilver

Stollsilver

Slave to the Nakeds

• Moderators
  • 18,713 posts
Thank you! This is all excellent.

igpodet

igpodet

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,355 posts
Only trouble is you end up with a First Aid Cupboard instead of a box!!Also have to remember to throw things away ..safely ... if they are out of date!As a hoarder .. I admit I do have trouble with this :oops: :lol:

LoopyMagoo

LoopyMagoo

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,915 posts
Really want to thank all for this posting. We're getting ready to drive from here to WV and I want to make sure we have a "cupboard" :wink: of safety for Suki. I was actually planning to call the vet sometime this week and ask for any recommendations. If he says anything which hasn't been posted yet, I'll post it. :D

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
fire ants/ammoniaJust as an aside, the "bite sticks" contain ammonia as the active ingredient. If you ever or your pup ever gets bitten by fire ants, pour ammonia over the area IMMEDIATELY and it will negate the poison. Not the nicest thing to put on oneself, but it truly works. Obviously take care that nothing gets ingested and rinse off after awhile. I keep a bottle in the garage just for this purpose as we have them along the right-of-way, and if you wait too long - it won't help. Some say to dilute it with water but I use it straight. Great for the feet!BTW, I also read that if you are allergic to bees or wasps, be wary of fire ants. There tends to be an allergic connection. I imagine that also might be true for pups?

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts
I don't go anywhere w/o neosporin too.

Tally

Tally

Show Dog

• Members
  • 870 posts
I have iodine solution and saline solution in my kit...Did someone mentionned a thermometer along with petroleum gel?I don't remember all what I have in my kit. I have a little purse in a heart shape that is especially made for pets. I bought it a Wal-mart for about 10 dollars (CND). All the base it there but I haded a few more things that are at home. That's a great idea to share our first aid kit items so we can complete the lot.

dbev

dbev

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
This is a tremenously helpful thread - need to look into some of these!Also, I don't think anyone mentioned:Hydrogen Peroxide (or Syrup of Ipecac) if you need to make them vomit in a hurry.

Tally

Tally

Show Dog

• Members
  • 870 posts
[quote name='dbev]This is a tremenously helpful thread - need to look into some of these!Also' date=' I don't think anyone mentioned:Hydrogen Peroxide (or Syrup of Ipecac) if you need to make them vomit in a hurry.[/quote']You tear an icepack to give it to the dog to have it to vomit? I'm not sure I understood properly...

dbev

dbev

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,418 posts
I think you misread (and I may have misspelled it). I think you're referring to Syrup of Ipecac - like you give kids - it's a staple in most homes.

Tally

Tally

Show Dog

• Members
  • 870 posts
Dbev... My mistake... I feel so dumb! lolI misread it! :oops:

sue

sue

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,181 posts
do not use a tweezer to pull out a bee or wasp stinger as it releases more venom into the skin. take your fingernail and scrape it in one direction.

LoopyMagoo

LoopyMagoo
Well my vet was less than helpfull. Glad we're moving, be able to get a new one. Did find this online though. http://www.dogsonly.org/FirstAid.html

Tally

Tally

Show Dog

• Members
  • 870 posts
Great site Loopy. It is very helpfull and a great ressource to have to complete my kit.

Donnah Reys

Donnah Reys

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta Canada
love all this information!!!!!we just found a benadryl stick & spray which can be used for external skin reactions and doesn't stings like afterbite (ammonia). hmmm, how to compact these things into a small carrying kit? keep this information coming!

Tally

Tally

Show Dog

• Members
  • 870 posts
I guess that it could be seperated into 2 bags. The first one should be only very first aid basics for the short trips (dog park) and the other bag all the remains for the longer trips (hollidays). I cary my first aid kit in my car at all time. It's better to prevent than to be stuck without it.

cricketsong.1985

cricketsong.1985

Show Dog

• Members
  • 697 posts
do we have aloe vera gel in here somewhere for sunburns and to soothe irritated skin? try mixing it with witch hazel to form an all over soothing/cooling gel....i use aloe on my crested after baths and whenever he has dry skin (and on myself!!) and i use it mixed equally with witch hazel for razor burn, but i think the same mixture would work if your pup has irritation or dryness. Also, a note on hydrogen peroxide.. i have been learning that it is not as effective as a sterilizing/disinfecting agent as we have originally thought. it would seem that bubbly chemical reaction it has when coming into contact with blood actually causes more DAMAGE than good. i would recommend replacing any and all hydrogen peroxide used for disinfecting and sterilizing with benzalkonium chloride, which is much more effective, as well as edible (good peace of mind in case your pet licks himself on the injured spot befor eyou have a chance to cover). Modern first aid kits no longer contain the hydrogen peroxide, but many places still use it because they don;t know betterLastly... i have NEVER heard of making anyone (person or animal) intentionally vomit... i think this would be more harmful than good, even if poison is ingested! the charcoal biscuits seem like a much better alternative to this... just an opinion

FrenchLady

FrenchLady

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,912 posts
Let's see what I have in that ''box''Spare leash in case I find a dog or mine breaks and a muzzle in case the patient is not cooperative...GlovesCisorsRazorEmergency blanketThe red bandage is the self adhesiveI also think that half water/half vinegar can help/clean ears.Posted Image

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
[quote name='cricketsong.1985]Lastly... i have NEVER heard of making anyone (person or animal) intentionally vomit... i think this would be more harmful than good' date=' even if poison is ingested! the charcoal biscuits seem like a much better alternative to this... just an opinion[/quote']It depends on what has been ingested. Sometimes inducing vomiting can mean the difference between life or death. And often activated charcoal will then be introduced after the vomting to bind with any of the poison, etc., that might still be in the stomach.Case in point: one of my Sphynx ingested an 800mg motrin tablet. He was rushed to the er vet, as it was about 4:30 AM. They told me we had a 45 minute window to induce vomiting or the cat would die. 20 minutes later they told me they didn't have the only drug on hand that will reliably induce vomting in cats. I then had to rush him to another er facility. Enroute, he vomited on his own, and the next er vet gave him activated charcoal, IV fluids, and kept him for observation for 2 days.

cricketsong.1985

cricketsong.1985

Show Dog

• Members
  • 697 posts
wow. then i guess there ARE instances where its the only option!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users