Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hawks!!!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Hairy Junebugs

Hairy Junebugs

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 5,335 posts
There was a local story of an owl picking up a chihuahua and then dropping it after carrying it a little ways, luckily I think the chi lived, but so scary! My sister's little chi is only 2lbs and it seems like everytime we leave her outside the hawks start circling, we've even seen and heard owls on several occasions which people say are worse than the hawks!:worry:

acetoo

acetoo

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
Mine don't go outside unsupervised, as I live in the country and there are so many wild things here. There is a Cougar that comes in every other year or so to have her cubs, and there are tons of cats and dogs that come up missing when she is here. She usually leaves when they are bigger and she won't be seen for a while. The hawks are everywhere, but the most dangerous is the Great Horned Owl. They are very large and are capable of carrying off a small dog or cat. My mantra has always been better safe than sorry.

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
I know it must be a worry keeping pets safe but I would love to see some of those birds of prey in their natural habitat. I find them fascinating.

Kimm

Kimm
I have to agree that hawks are nothing to take lightly. We have a story here if one killing an elderly cat. And Trixie is a small cc. Red tails are bigger than you think and even if it was a juvenile it could kill her and eat her on the ground. I don't think we have great horned owls but we are never out at night. She uses a puppy pad like a litterbox so after dark she does her business inside.

Addy's Mom

Addy's Mom

Best In Show

• Members
  • 4,884 posts

The US and Canada seem scary places to own dogs! :OMG:The only predators I worry about are human thieves who might steal my dogs for breeding. ( can't wait for spay day!) we do have buzzards but I dont think they are large enough to carry 9lbs. Mind you the environmentalists are reintroducing golden eagles in Scotland and there are reports of them carrying off lambs!

There aren't any birds of prey still in existence large enough to carry off lambs. Can't happen.And redtail hawks are not going to carry off a dog weighing nearly seven pounds. No hawk or eagle can do that; one or two pounds is about their limit. The reason that large cities, including New York, encourage hawks and falcons is that their idea of a nice, tasty meal is pigeon or rat.Owls, especially the bigger ones, are a more serious threat, and yes, there are well-documented cases of owls carrying off chihuahuas and other dogs in the same size range.But, as I think it was hlboyz, said, they could attack on the ground and do serious injury--and well might, if they are hungry enough. Not their first choice if hunting is good, but if it's not, they might give it a try, and the injuries could be very serious indeed.:--:And yes, the US and Canada can be scary places to own dogs and cats. I think some of our differing ideas about what constitutes responsible care stem directly from the fact that the UK has no wild predators larger than the fox and badger, while in North America we have coyotes even in the cities, lots of owls big enough to carry off small dogs, as well as lots of hawks, falcons, and eagles big enough to be a threat if they're hungry enough, bears are at the serious nuisance level in many areas, and depending on where you live, wolves, mountain lions, alligators, and crocodiles can be significant problems. And those are just the major ones that spring immediately to mind. I'm certain I'm overlooking at least one area's "favorite" predator.Lis

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC
You forgot the moose while not considered a predator those who have been chased or have had their dogs chased by a moose may disagree .... LOL.Still all in all the wildlife in Canada have more interesting hunting grounds then the cities and towns for the most part I have also heard stories of eagles and owls but they are rare I see more dead dogs and cats on the side of roads then stories of predators making off with the family pet. I love my animals but I am not going to shelter them anymore than I have my child I have to let my critters outside to enjoy life and some freedom to play they do not need me to constantly have an eye on them it is unrealistic especially when they have a nice fenced yard. I am a firm believer that if pet are over protected and coddled they ultimately will not learn how to handle new experiences and become neurotic and anxious not to mention they do not learn how to think for themselves and reason out problems or issues as they arise.

Nita

Nita
I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and have plenty of hawks.. I don't really worry about the dogs with them, the seem to go after smaller prey like other birds or maybe a squirrel. I always know when one is around by the squirrel chatter and then the squirrels disappear. We live on 6 acres surrounded by more acreage. What I do worry about are other animals. My dogs never go out alone. Even if they were bigger I wouldn't leave them alone.. we get BEARS! And I know there have been coyotes in the area. We also have grey and red fox. Some of the raccoon I've seen are HUGE and we also get skunk, too many of them. Last thing I want in the house is a skunked dog! I guess no matter where you live there are issues. When we go to Florida I don't leave them out either. Mom's neighborhood backs up to the Green Swamp... GATORS! My sister's dog found a little playmate in her yard and it bit him on the nose.. thankfully it was a baby..rattlesnake! He survived with an emergency vet visit. But he was a big 85 lb dog. What are we to do? Take them out a on leash every time they go out? or just be vigilant about our surroundings? I go out in the yard with them and just watch them. We fenced in the front part of the yard, between the house the woods that are by the road. We get less "critters" there then in the backyard. And we keep the garbage cans by the shed (that's what attract the bears). In non drought years we aren't bothered by them, they seem to stay up on the mountains, but when their food supplies dry up they come down looking for something to eat. So I sadly took down my bird feeders, that's what they were going after!

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
Hi Addys mum. Actually the golden eagle CAN carry large prey. 4-5 kg. They are an endangered species and native to Scotland. The reintroduction has caused controversy among farmers as they fear they are a threat to their live stock. I can't post a link from my phone but if you google Daily Mail- golden eagle takes lamb, you can see a photograph of one carrying off a bloodied lamb! Fantastic birds, I have seen one up close at a birds of prey display . Huge!Ps gators and bears!!! I would love to see wildlife like that- from a safe distance!

kevlaur

kevlaur
  • LocationNorthern, BC
Got to love the fear mongering " Swooping Assassin " lets terrify everyone into thinking that these birds are out just to desimate their flocks. I think with the amount of sheep that the few lambs taken are hardly going to bankrupt the farmers plus who's to say that this lamb did not die of natural causes. The same thing has happened in the States when wolves were reintroduced to areas where they had been hunted to extinction (to the area). I think people unrealistically fear things that they don't understand and it takes awhile for everyone to calm down and say its not as bad as I thought it would be. Where rabbits, foxes, and rats are a problem to farmers these same eagles will be a blessing.Those were awesome pictures of the eagle and lamb you have to respect the power of these birds.

ann

ann
  • LocationBerkshire. England. UK.
We have a pair of Buzzards that regularly wheel around the sky overhead. This year they have their two youngsters with them as well. I never take a chance with the girls when they are about. They are beautiful birds, but having seen them at close quarters, those talons are more than capable of killing a small dog even if the bird wasn't able to take off with it. When I lived in the countryside in Somerset, we had large numbers of them and they would catch rabbits and eat them on the ground where they'd killed them, so I don't risk the girls, though I worry more about the risk from human "predators" who think it's fine to steal dogs.

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
I worried about the Buzzards too when the chi was a pup. I never let her out on her own. I only see them around my house if the adjoining fields have been freshly harvested or if there is a dead sheep or lamb in them. I love to look at them and they never come right into our garden, probably because of the big dogs.I agree with you Kevlaur that even if the eagles are a small threat to livestock they should be allowed to thrive in their natural habitat. I hate the way mankind destroys all around him and has the arrogance to think he has more right to the world than other living creatures.

killerleaf

killerleaf
In our area we have two pair of mating red tail hawks, and I think a pair of large owls. (Just seen briefly, not sure what type of owl, wingspan appeared to be 4-5 feet?) There is a pack of dogs (4-5 large with at least one really pretty german shepard) and a pack of coyotes that roam thru here. The other night, at about 3am, Tom had taken Max out to pee, and something swooped over. Probably decided that Max was too big to carry off...and left. We figure it was one of the owls,as he did not hear anything, it was just a shadow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users