Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Acne and blackheads

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
Hello,This is my first post here- my name is Ashley and my Chinese Crested is named Gizmo. He is between 5 and 7 years old, I am not very sure. I adopted him from a rescue after he was put in the pound earlier this year. He is my first CC, and I researched their skin care, and general care before I adopted him. Before I adopted him, the rescue said his skin was bad from neglect. When I brought him home his neck was completely black with blackheads and he had pretty bad acne covering his legs, neck, and what I think to be pearls covering most of his face. After getting him vet checked they recommended Pyoben shampoo, a round of antibiotics, and to use a mild lotion.So he has been getting a bath once a week with Pyoben or a natural baby shampoo, a wipe down with witch hazel and I put Aveeno unscented baby lotion on his dry spots. I've also switched him to Solid Gold small breed food that is grain free.I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with acne and blackheads in their Crested and any remedies that can be recommended? I'm thinking about picking up some EV Coconut Oil after reading about it on here.

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10318[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10317[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10319[/ATTACH]Here's some pictures of his skin, first is one of his legs, his neck, and a bad blurry one of his face but the acne seems to be different on his face. Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures, but you get the idea.

heidylu

heidylu

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Omg my crested has the SAME EXACT acne/blackheads/bumps on her neck and those white bumps (on the last picture) inbetween her toes!!!!! I would love to know what this is too!!! Help lol

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
Cresties can have different skin types that is for sure. Some can be very sebaceous. My first crestie had very different regime than my other hairless, but would sound like a similar situation. Keratolux shampoo weekly or every two weeks at the least. No lotion or oil for him ever. It takes a while to see the difference but it will happen, the bumps and blemishes will disappear or at least clear up greatly. I had tried it for the pearls and almost fainted the first time I noticed the villages of stuff in between his toes were gone.The good diet is going to help with his skin too!My other hairless use the same shampoo and have for many years, but every 3-4 weeks and followed up with oil/lotion, to keep the same clear skin.

Bella&Marley's Mommy

Bella&Marley's Mommy

woofieandmeowers.com

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPottsville, PA
Marely has always had bad skin since I got him this summer (he's only about 8 months now). His neck looks the same as the picture of your Crestie's neck. I found that when I first got him, he had a Staph Infection on his back because he kept getting these pimples that would get really large and puss filled. He was on antibiotics for 3 weeks (I think) to get that cleared up. Since then, he has had normal problems with oil, blackheads, and normal pimples. I used to use Keratoluxe Shampoo every week, but I didn't really notice a difference. You will see a lot of the people that have had Cresties awhile will say to do less with their skin. Only try one thing at a time and give it a fair try to see if it will help your Crestie's skin or not since different dogs have different skin types. What works for one dog might not work for another dog, so basically make sure you are not doing too much too soon.Other than that, there are a lot of people that use a yogurt/honey dip on their dogs for skin problems. I tried it a couple times and the first time it did seem to really help push out the blackheads and stuff. Basically you get plain yogurt and mix in a little bit of honey. Then put it on your (dry) dog for about 5 minutes. It's ok if they lick a little off. Then just rinse off with water (no soap).Some people also swear by lister-hazel mixture. It's half original Listerine mixed with half witch hazel. Then you take a cotton ball and wipe their skin with it. It is supposed to wipe the blackheads right out. I tried it and it didn't seem to do anything, so it goes to show that some skin care tips work on some Cresties and not others.I think the best advice is to try one thing at a time and go really slow so you don't end up doing too much too fast. I have had Marley for months and he still has bad skin. He's on Taste of the Wild dog food, btw. Right now I'm trying to let his skin do what it wants to and see what happens. He gets a bath every 2 or 3 weeks (usually 3) now, so we will see.One last thing (as my post seems to becoming a book lol) Marley's skin seems to get worse when he wears fleece. I guess it's because it traps in the sweat and stuff, so if your dog is wearing a lot of fleece right now, you may consider flannel instead (if your house is warm enough) at least for the most part.

madhatter

madhatter

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My crestie has the same issues. My vet recommended Pyoben and that has seemed to really help with the blackheads on her neck. However she still has alot of the 'pearls' around her neck area. I was told that these are actually pustules. In humans you would treat this with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. Would any of you recommend using this type of stuff on our dogs? Or have an alternative?The Pyoben has benzoyl peroxide in it already but I don't feel like its enough especially when I wash her once a week as don't want for her skin to dryout

jakksmum

jakksmum

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,226 posts
check the grain-free food for potatoes....I thought grain-free was the way to go , but my guy is allergic to potato....he got hot spots that have cleared up since we switched to raw food

My Crestie

My Crestie

Chanelly's Mom

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
Gizmo is soooo cute! So glad you rescued him! My crestie has poor skin as wel. The coconut oil made her skin nice and moist, but I noticed she broke out almost immediately. After trying many things this past 8 months we are taking the less is more approach. She is to have a bath once every three months (it used to be weekly, then every two, then every three weeks with skin worsening) I took the advice of a friend in CC rescue and stopped giving her baths and her skin is 80% better! She is on a wheat free diet.Saw the vet today for her yearly and said almost all the chinese cresteds he has treated over the years have had some skin issues. The important thing was to notice if it bothers her. Does it itch, get infected? In that case it becomes a problem. My answer was no and he said to leave Chanelly's skin alone. But her skin is dry so he said to test each new cream (not all at once but one at a time days apart) on a patch of skin to see what difference it makes to the untreated skin. That is my next step.As you can tell I am still trying new things and I have been working on them since I rescued her 8 months ago.Make sure you post Gizmo's progress and let us know if something specific you do works wonders! And keep the pictures coming, he is a doll!

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
Thanks to everyone for their advice! I am willing to try anything, and "less is more" makes sense. It works for my skin, anyhow. And thank you, I think he is the cutest. Super sweet also! Like my little shadow. Heh. Will post more pictures soon.

dogmadlady

dogmadlady
I agree with my crestie. When I got Luna , my first ever experience with a hairless breed , I got carried away with all the advice I read on grooming , shaving and lotions and potions. 2 months later I have realised that the only time she has had any skin problems is when I have interfered with it. I honestly think treating from with- in by finding the right diet for your individual dog is the key. Good luck!

porterk

porterk

Port-n-Cork's Momma

• Members
  • 1,640 posts
  • LocationMichigan
I'll just ditto Hllboyz on products - we use Keratolux shampoo, too- it's not drying at all - it says you can use it daily (I think), but we use it every 1-2 weeks. It's specifically made for allergy/sensitive skins - we get ours from the vet but I know you can buy it on-line, too.I also agree with jakksmum, grain-free, but that's because we have several allergies here. However, I know good food is good for all pups (esp. ones with poor skin) - read the "grade your food" sticky in the food section for more advise about finiding a good food, if you need one.Finally, I agree with dogmadlady, less is best. We face shave, wash and dry, and that's it - no more products! I've tried everything else, and nothing has worked for us and it only caused anxiety during grooming.Good luck!

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
Just wanted to update and say that I tried a "mask" of plain yogurt and raw honey and that it worked amazingly! ::):I didn't have to worry about Gizmo licking it off and he sat there patiently, thankfully! His dry patches seem to look a lot better and his inflamed areas calmed down a lot. Would recommend this for sensitive Crestie skin to someone else. Going to give "less is more" a try and give him his baths twice a month instead of once a week. Has anyone ever tried this shampoo before? http://www.tropiclea...ree-shampoo.php It is soap free and also contains salicylic acid and just seems pretty good ingredient wise.

Whoa Nellie

Whoa Nellie

Top Dog!

• Members
  • 10,183 posts
Welcome, and Gizmo is a doll. Wonderful of you to adopt too and am sure he will love you forever for your kindness. Ah, the skin of the Crested, always a work in progress. You have received great advice so far (I, too, am a Keratolux user) so can't offer any more. Good luck and again, welcome. Oh, and we love pictures in case no one mentioned it.::D:

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
Thank you! He IS a doll! I will be sure to post more pictures soon. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am hoping to adopt another Crestie someday so he has a buddy- he loves playing with other dogs. :)

Selina

Selina

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
My crestie has the same on his legs but it seems after we have switched him to a better food and baths every other week that they are slowly going away. He also had staff (sp) infection in his when first got him from the rescue. We don't use any lotion on him as he doesn't seem to have very dry skin and his are mainly on his back legs. We keep him naked as much as possible and only clothes at night time. It has taken awhile for it to start getting better and we did try bout everything at first and decided to try the less is more and its coming around. Either way I love him bumpies and all lol. Oh btw yours is just a doll :) Selina

Guest_yolanda_*

Guest_yolanda_*
  • Guests
I'm having incredible success with Timmy's skin. I had the advantage of starting with a clean puppy and this amazing forum's advice, but he did develop thick blackhead infestations. When his hair grew too long, he'd erupt. These days the eruption is from zero blackheads to small colonies when he gets it. He's actually been blackhead free for weeks at a time! So today was grooming day. I'd like to leave his hair long but it seems to interfere with skin care as that's where we see the worst of it. His skin gets so oily it feels like my face did in puberty. I wasn't so bad you'd pity me but I sure wasn't blemish free and still aren't quite.So back to Timmy, he got shaved to the skin with a #40 on his back, legs, and face in a crestie cut. Then we set up the kitchen sink for him because he's tiny and it's easier on my back and he got a heavy scrubbing with a soft/stiff natural fiber nail brush and apricot seed scrub (I use it for myself so it's already here) I worry I may have been too vigorous as the skin got a bit agitated but it's okay now. Then I shampooed his hair with Mane n Tail, the house shampoo and conditioned with same. After drying he got his lotion (I should have wiped with witchhazel but forgot). At bedtime we scratch him down with a brush which pleases him very much. It's cuteness overload. Then I wipe him with a St. Ive's witchhazel astringent wipe and leave him for the night. In the morning before dressing I rub his lotion into his skin. You have to take care with lotion selection to get something designed for super sensitive people who suffer acne as regular lotions may have too much sealer in them and acne pores need to keep flowing. My theory on moisturizing acne skin is that when you clean it and remove the oil you've shocked the skin and made it seem as though a harsh environment has been entered. Leaving it to rehydrate itself, it will overproduce in the assumption that conditions may be continuing to be harsh up until the skin feels better. Unfortunately, the speed production of oil coupled with taught dry skin leads to clogged pores. Lotion right after cleaning can replace the oils enough for the skin to remain in a steady and balanced state of oil production while keeping pore ends fluid and open. When Timmy isn't moisturized daily he develops eczema as well as acne. It's quite frightening really. I wonder how his brother fares, if they give him the care he needs to have health and comfort. Poor things just don't belong in this frigid climate!

TinaBooth

TinaBooth

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
We are dealing with some crazy skin issues here too. My foster (now adopting her) came into rescue with whoa buddy blackheads. Micro Pearls by vetoquinol is what was recommended to me and making worlds of difference quickly! It has a patented ingredient that is supposed to keep them from drying out. I know I know people say bathe them every week to two weeks BUT for this one, she has been getting bathed every other day, bedding washed every other day & a fresh pair of jammies daily....Until, it gets under control & then we can spread the baths out. My first crestie came in the same condition. I did the same thing with her & she has gorgeoussss skin now & gets a bath no more than once a week ;) Good luck & keep us posted on how it goes

kerit

kerit

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Those pictures just gave me horrible flashbacks of Mo when we first brought him home. I'd almost forgotten how much he has improved! He's also very hairless, and his skin was rough and thick with all of it... I remember thinking his neck felt like an elephant. A raw diet and Keratolux soaks once a week made a huge difference for the worst of his under-the-skin blackheads and huge angry whiteheads. The pearly cysts take longer to go on their own. It's a slow improvement, but be patient and consistent and you'll see it happen! Two years later he still gets a few bumps on his neck and feet, but the rest of him is smooth and soft.Does he answer to Gizmo? My Mo was also 5 when we got him... his so-called papers named him "Mossimo," but the woman who put him on Craigslist told us he was "Gizmo." I changed that to "Mojito" right off, but he answers mainly to Mo, so my husband will introduce him as all sorts of things... Mocephus, Momentum, Mo' Money Mo' Problems... :ROFL:

her_again

her_again

Show Dog

• Members
  • 748 posts
When I adopted he had medication that said his name was Jake, but he was adopted out being called Junior. I named him Gizmo :)He answers to Gizmo, Mo Mo, sometimes I call him Nemo as a nickname. He never really answered to Junior. I wish I knew how how he is. It said 3 online, 5 on his paperwork from the animal shelter. The vet said somewhere between 5 to 7 based on his teeth. But, I've been thinking since hairlessness= poor teeth in some cases that he may not be as old. Mojito is a cute name :)He is pretty hairless! I am trying to see how long I can get his crest to grow as I've always kept it sort of trimmed so I can see his eyes. His skin has been a long work in progress since I adopted him in February. He has been on antibiotics a couple of times and gotten Pyoben baths since then but they don't really seem to help as much as I wish they would. His skin has improved since I adopted him, the foster home was feeding him kibbles and bits and I am really thinking he has food sensitivities. So glad to have found this forum and been able to figure out more ideas for him. I am trying to decide between Keratolux and Micro Pearls shampoo to try next. He loved his "spa treatment" of raw honey and plain yogurt followed by a raw honey sugar scrub :) and it seemed to help bring a lot of the blackheads to the surface. Hoping to get him comfortable, that is my main goal.So, since I am starting to write a book- haha! How do you do a "soak" in Keratolux? Just leave it on for a while? Thanks to everyone again.

kerit

kerit

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
I just have Mo stand in warm water for several minutes, then apply Keratolux to the back of his neck and feet and have him wait a few more. I did do it about twice a week at first because he was such a mess, but now it's just once a week, sometimes a little less often. Mo can occasionally get a little dry and flaky on his non-pimply skin afterwards, but my hairy hairless JP never does, so it's a very individual thing. I have used both Neutrogena Norwegian formula cream (for humans) and Espana Silk spray (for horses/dogs) on his dry skin successfully, but again... all up to the individual. I do think the food makes the biggest difference to his skin, more than any topical treatment.

Rosie

Rosie

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hair Follicles?I read somewhere a long time ago that the blackheads were actually partially formed hair follicles or something. Our first two Cresties were THL and didn't have blackheads to speak of. Finley had some on his, ahem, most private part but they never amounted to anything but tiny black specks.I will try and find that information and post it here. I now have 4, one of my original THL, two HHL pups, and a TOTALLY HL rescue puppy that I am trying to find a home for.

Guest_yolanda_*

Guest_yolanda_*
  • Guests
I had digital coupons for aveeno baby eczema care cream. Since Timmy can get eczema if allowed to dry out, I figured it was worth trying. I'd heard good things about aveeno on this forum. Well I'm really pleased so far. Over time I'll see if it affects the acne one way or another as it's been less than a week. However, I love the texture and how fast it absorbs and Timmy appreciates how much more scentless it is than the unscented neutrogena that smelled of machine oil. This aveeno is so mild i have trouble smelling it close up. Timmy doesn't try and escape and get a yucky face then try rubbing it off.The coupons are still out there, and London Drugs are pretty decent about taking the coupons as long as you have enough product per coupon. I got four tubes and that's all I'm inclined to store.

dogmadlady

dogmadlady

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,455 posts
My sister swears by Aveeno products for her own eczema and she has tried EVERYTHING over the last 30 years so it has got to be worth a try!

Guest_yolanda_*

Guest_yolanda_*
  • Guests
Here's the printable coupon for canada http://smartcanucks....duct-printable/ for $2 off. Watch for specials or sales at London Drugs, they let you buy more than one at a time so you can print off five or six and stock up. I got 3 I think, might get more before the coupon's done. I really like the product.

Crested Mom of 3

Crested Mom of 3

Rockstar,Celebrity,Diva

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • LocationIndianola, iowa
I want to add to all the great advice here and in the Stickies that my vet gave my girl an antibiotic shot that sounded like "convenient" and i noticed a marked improvement the very same day in her pearls! Nothing has helped before this. He said it is a 14 day shot and she can have 2 back to back. He added pyoben bath every 3 days and the difference is amazing. the pearls are clearing quickly and the blackheads almost just rub off. no lotions, allow the skin to be a little dry for the time being to avoid pore clogging but he did recommend using a rinse-out human cream rinse after the pyoben bath to ease drying. We go for the 2nd shot this saturday and i will try to get the name of the med.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users