Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can you bring a pet to a show?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
I wonder if it's considered acceptable to bring a Pet dog to a dog show. I've never been to one before; and our fairgrounds are holding an AKC show on the first of October. Even the our local club's site doesn't say anything other than give the date. I would really like to go as I've never attended one before. Tequila is just a pet; but I try taking her anywhere that she can go to help socialize her. I know that I've heard of people taking dogs and pups to shows that they "plan" on showing; just to see how they react in the environment. But I'm openly admitting that's not why I'm there; and I don't want to waste anyone's time if they approach us and start asking showing questions lol. Someday in the far far future I would love to own and show just for fun; but since I don't ever want to breed it almost seems like a moot point. Like, if the point of showing IS to be bettering the breed, isn't it pointless to show a dog that you KNOW you'd never breed regardless? It would be "for fun" for ME, but I'd feel like I'd be wasting OTHER people's time. So, I really just want to go for the experience as I love dogs. And I love taking Tequila anywhere that she's welcome, because SHE loves to be out amongst people. She is not at all vocal or disruptive so I'm not worried that she'd do anything bad; but obviously a puffer in a pony clip is gonna stick out like a sore thumb LOL. If it's something that's "frowned upon,' I would leave her at home. I guess I'm just asking because I know nothing about showing etiquette, lol.

Guest_Kramer_*

Guest_Kramer_*
  • Guests
The shows that I have been to, it is not allowed. That being said....I saw lots of dogs wondering around on leads that didn't appear to be show dogs. I would think that if Tequila is well behaved no one will say any thing? When I was with Vixen I made sure her ribbon was in hand just to make sure.

GrandCynth

GrandCynth

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 28,085 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
In my experience, it is not allowed. However, if you know someone who will be exhibiting their dog/s at the show, you could probably get away with it, by arriving with them.

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
Well.... some people will say it is okay but it really is NOT okay. And I feel the same way, I wouldn't want to do it even if I could get away with it if it was frowned upon.... I am just saying because often show people don't want to say it and look like a meanie :) I have heard from some people who bring pets when they are friends with someone showing and hanging out with them - when this question has been asked - so if you know of someone who shows, maybe that would be a little different? So many other opportunities to take pups out and about, this is one I would skip myself.

Ace

Ace

• Moderators
  • 27,391 posts
The shows around here don't allow it. You might want to check if there's a website about it. They will list if it's allowed or not usually.

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
Okay! Well that solves that issue then lol, she can stay home for this one. I don't know anyone showing; and it'll be the first one I've ever gone too. So I'd hate to make my first impression be an impolite one lol. I can't imagine that it'll be a very big show... but that's just my assumption, I've never even heard of them holding one here so it's new to me. OH passes the fairgrounds on the way to work and saw it posted on the reader board outside. I verified it on their website but it doesn't give too much info; just when and where. One more thing I thought of; (assuming I get mine working again by then lol) is it appropriate to bring a camera to take pix? I've seen lots of people sharing pix from dog shows; but since they're not my dogs or anything I think I'd feel weird about it unless a lot of others were doing it too. It'd just be as a spectator and I rarely leave my cam behind when I go to anything new and exciting (and call me nerdy but this IS very exciting to me to have this opportunity right in my own little town haha.) Lots of people take pix of Tequila when we're out and about but they almost always ask my permission first lol.

Ace

Ace
You can take all the pics you want as far as I know. It's a public event. If you feel more comfortable, just take pics of the dogs, not the handlers or other people.If it's public, it's fair game.

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts
Nope you can not take a dog not entered to any AKC shows...you can definitely take all the pics you want.

Kimm

Kimm

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,327 posts
We had a show here last weekend and the ad said No pet dogs allowed. I can see why. I wouldn't want to risk being a distraction.

Dogzilla

Dogzilla

The Power of a Puff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
It is against AKC rules to bring a dog that is not entered. That said, people don't always enforce the rule unless the dog looks really mangey and might spread something or appears agressive.A dog show is very scary place for some dogs so it might not be the best place to socialize. I take my dogs to garden centers, spring or fall street fairs. Public events in small towns are great.

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
Thanks guys for all the advice! My OH has to work that day so it doesn't look like I'll be able to go anyway unless I can con one of my friends into going with me.. unfortunately most of my dog crazy people live a hour away lol. Ah well, there's a Pup-A-Palooza adoption event the following weekend where I can bring her and hopefully I can make it to that. Seems like fall is when all the shelters, rescues etc. are having their fundraisers... we already went to Woofstock, Canine Classic and now Pupapalooza all within 1 months time. I try taking Tequila everywhere I go that she's welcome; and she's done great. Even went to a retro car show with her. I couldn't be prouder of my little girl!

Lady & The Tramp

Lady & The Tramp

Best In Show

• Members
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationCanada's Wild West Coast
Hehehe...I'm such a rebel, :secret laugh:cuz even though I used to show and knowing the AKC/CKC rules, I could see myself bringing a well-behaved, quiet dog, in her stroller/backpack . Not that I'd ever do anything like that. :;): I'm thinking it's on the fairgrounds, it's the first one in your area so a person can always play dumb. BUT .... A Dog Show is not a place where any dog can socialize....lol...believe me everyone's primping and nerves are high..the last thing that groomers/handlers/owners want at least, at that time, is socializing with Tequila. So that being said, I wouldn't walk thru the grooming area and would only "sneak" my dog in if I knew they'd be reliably quiet and settle down while in their carrier. Oh and from what you said about showing/breeding, etc...have you ever thought about becoming a professional handler? I think it's a great way to get all the perks of showing without the expenses of having your own kennel.

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
Well neither Tequila or I will be able to make this one after all, but I like the idea of handling! I'll have to look around and see what options there are around here... since this is the first show in the area (at least, that I know of; maybe they just never advertised before lol) I don't know where to start. I do know of a place that does dog training for conformation and the ring; I wonder if they offer training for people too lol. It'd be neat to know if there were any opportunities for that in this area... if they do the classes I'm sure they'd have info on where the people they train are showing at. Thanks for the suggestion!!

MightyThor

MightyThor

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
The rules state that no dogs allowed on ground that are not entered in the show, however many people bring other dogs. The concern is if the dog is healthy ,current on vaccines and well socialized. Most of the dogs at the show are very well behaved and well socialized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users