Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How much did your puppy weigh at 9 weeks?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Rosie

Rosie

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, I just got a new puppy and was surprised to find out she weighed 4.2 pounds at 9 weeks. Her father weighs 4 pounds and her mother weighs 6 pounds. Does anyone have a guess at what she will weigh full grown? Thanks!

brianlinkles

brianlinkles

Pia's mommy

• Members
  • 407 posts
I believe that Pia weighed about 4lbs at that age. She is 6 mos. and weighs 7lbs. She has stayed at this weight for a couple of months now. 4 lbs. is very small for a cc. They seem extremely delicate at that weight! Cute, but delicate! Most are bigger, the standard I believe is 10lbs. I am not that knowledgable, someone with alot more experience will probably jump on soon!

porterk

porterk
  • LocationMichigan
Porter only weighed 2.5# when I brought him home at 8 weeks. Stayed 9# for a long time (about 9 mos. until not sure) and I though he was full grown, but then all of a sudden he shot up to 12# and there he seems to be staying (he's about 1yr 9mos now).Corky was about 6# when I brought him home at 4.5 mos. He doesn't get weighed as often. I know he was around 10# at the last vet check (10 mos), and were going in a few minutes for our 1 yr. check (I'm guessing he's closer to 12# now. Corky and Porter are siblings, so I would image they will be close to the same when they're full grown. I think their parents were close to 12 lbs, too. I think genetics is a factor.

Rosie

Rosie

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Aww, Pia is so cute. I also think that 4 lbs. is very small for an adult. I just wanted a puppy that wouldn't be too much for my almost 13 year old male who weighs 10 lbs. Finley is very vibrant and frisky but is getting arthritis from ruptured disks. She was the largest puppy in her litter so I was thinking 6 to 8 pounds max. I guess you never know. Thanks for the answer, hope I get more.

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
You don't go by weight but height for standard, so I imagine the parents weren't shown? It sounds like your puppy will be bigger than both parents though. Which is a good thing :) Yeah, 8 to 10 lbs is not unusual, 11-13 inches though is standard size. Some are very delicate and fine boned and so height does not necessarily translate into weight. And shouldn't mean that your Finley would be overwhelmed if your puppy ends up bigger than what you thought it would.

Rosie

Rosie

Pup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the information. What is the proper way to measure a dog's height?

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
My breeder held on to Tequila until she was around 10/11 weeks. She weighed 3.0lbs at her first vet visit with us which was a few days after. When we got her rabies done at 16 weeks, she was 4.5lbs. So she had her growth spurt of 1.5# in just a little over one months time. She's still very petite now and is a little over 5 months; but that's okay because our other dogs are chihuahuas and she's a good size match for them, LOL.

Puff_The_Magic

Puff_The_Magic

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Thanks for the information. What is the proper way to measure a dog's height?

Oh, and I believe when in standing position you measure the distance from the ground right at the front leg to the withers (shoulder).

Guest_hlboyz_*

Guest_hlboyz_*
  • Guests
[quote name='Puff_The_Magic;699462]Oh' date=' and I believe when in standing position you measure the distance from the ground right at the front leg to the withers (shoulder).[/QUOTE']Yup, you know how you were probably measured or you measured your kids if you have them? Well same thing, just put the stick/ruler across the shoulders evenly (you can use a leveler here as well) and measure against a wall, mark it, then measure from floor up to mark on wall. Sounds weird but i have a kitchen wall with the dogs marks on them just like when I was a kid!::):

Char, Muffy and Ginger

Char, Muffy and Ginger

Show Dog

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
ginger is about 12 weeks now, and she was 2 pounds when she was at the vet at 10 weeks, shes much taller now, but shes thin, her mom is only 8 pounds, shes a teeny girl, muffys very tall, and VERY muscular, shes a whopping 16 pounds. my little tank lol

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
Mya weighed 4.6 at about 12 weeks. She is now 8 months and is right at 8 lbs.

armanicrazi

armanicrazi

Armani and Mya

• Members
  • 5,216 posts
[quote name='hlboyz;699472]Yup' date=' you know how you were probably measured or you measured your kids if you have them? Well same thing, just put the stick/ruler across the shoulders evenly (you can use a leveler here as well) and measure against a wall, mark it, then measure from floor up to mark on wall. Sounds weird but i have a kitchen wall with the dogs marks on them just like when I was a kid!::):[/QUOTE']so a proper measurement is only from the shoulders down?

Betsycc

Betsycc

Best In Show

• Members
  • 3,445 posts
Don't remember how much Taber weighed when I got him. His mom was 9 lbs and dad 12 lbs.At 1 yr old Taber weighs 10.6 lbs. I don't expect him to get taller, but assume he'll fill out and gain another pound maybe? He's always been on the thin side.

Ariel

Ariel

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
Kara weighed 4.6lbs at 16 weeks or 4.5 monthsat 6months she weighed 5.5 at a year(and change) she now weighs 6.1lbs :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users